Quantitative meaning of "greyed out people" icons below the TRUSTWORTHINESS 'circle'

Seeker78

Quantitative meaning of "greyed out people" icons below the TRUSTWORTHINESS 'circle'

Post by Seeker78 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi to everyone!

Could someone give a ROUGH estimate in numbers, how many users have actually rated a particular website, if for example ONLY one of five icons of a human torso has been greyed out.

We all understand the principle behind the system (more icons greyed out, more reliable and massive the rating), but could actually someone explain it in a more detailed fashion and if possible in the process also use some concrete numbers.

Thank you.

Denis

P.S.

I apologise in advance if this topic has already been covered. I simply did not have the time to first check out this possibility.

destinationtruth

RE: Quantitative meaning of "greyed out people" icons below the

Post by destinationtruth » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:04 pm

No one here can give you a clear answer other then direct you to these two links; because we don't know for sure. (assuming)
https://www.mywot.com/wiki/Scorecard#Reputation_rating
and
https://www.mywot.com/wiki/API#Reputation_and_confidence

Seeker78

Post by Seeker78 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:31 pm

Thank you for doing "my" work by looking up and finding those two articles. Still, it would be nice, if someone could give a more accurate description of this particular system in use. Personally I don't find this matter too trivial to be explained more in detail.

Denis

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:45 pm

The WoT system is designed to resist "gaming" (manipulating) it; therefore we cannot know metrics such as: how many people rated a site, the exact trust scores in any rating, nor any member's rating reliability.

The rating confidence icons ("people icons") may be affected if more than one highly reliable members rate a site, and if their ratings agree. The confidence icons may not be affected at all if there is disagreement among reliable members, or if there are several ratings only by unreliable members.

As you can see, there is no correlation between the confidence icons and the number of ratings. Confidence is computed from the collective reliability of all ratings of a site. Remember also that trust scores and confidence can be affected by trusted sources.

Seeker78

Post by Seeker78 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:17 pm

For me, that is completely enough and everything I really wanted to know. But I must admit, that I had NO IDEA, that the whole complete system is so 'elaborate' and interconnected. A positive surprise by itself....

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:32 pm

<quote user="seeker78">
For me, that is completely enough and everything I really wanted to know. But I must admit, that I had NO IDEA, that the whole complete system is so 'elaborate' and interconnected. A positive surprise by itself....
[/quote]
WOT has a lot of - built in - guarantees against abuse and that's what makes the system special.