registered account proposal

c۞g

registered account proposal

Post by c۞g » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:39 pm

The most basic fact of life is:
People get older, eventually they die.

Having an online presence would virtually make them immortal
Some say that's a good thing others may disagree.
That should not be part of this discussion

Ratings lose weight over time and have much less affect towards reputation.
Comments are always seen and may influence others viewing the scorecard; many times they seem incorrect "today" because they were written a few years ago. Those who disagree can create a forum discussion or they can contact the user who made the comment assuming communication is open. But this requires the user to be active.

There are accounts who for whatever reason are "open" but not active.

Whether inactivity is by choice, poor health, or death
WOT should implement a graceful removal.

Proposal
  • Moderator accounts with no activity for 6 months should be reverted back to normal user and the moderator privileges reassigned

• Accounts with no activity for 1 year should have scorecard comments automatically deleted, not forum posts, just scorecard comments.
    • Accounts 1 year old having:
      0 activity score
      0 ratings
      0 posts
      should be deleted freeing the user name for registration.
      example: https://www.mywot.com/user/1343363
  • Accounts inactive for 2 years should have associated ratings deleted as well; they hardly have affect and are out-dated. Also these user names should display Inactive below the user name and above the Activity level on the user profile.

• Forum posts should remain intact since discussions rely upon community involvement and are not restricted to a single user.
Why

On a personal note...
I've spent a great deal of time and put much effort into my activities for/with WOT. One day I will not be available to access my user profile and tend to PM's about ratings and comments I've made on various domains. It would be unfair to a domain owner not being able to resolve a dispute with an inactive entity. On the flip-side I would not delete my account because that would also delete the forum posts which took a great deal of time to create/engage in.

WOT needs to set up a system to "clean house"
No one likes old clutter...

just a thought ...

[edit: 02 April, 2013]
Since the [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/30634-forum-improvement-proposal t=_self]proposal[/url] to notify Site Evaluation OP's of posted replies was [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/30634-forum-improvement-proposal?comment=183822#comment-183822 t=_self]considered[/url] and [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/30634-forum-improvement-proposal?comment=191258#comment-191258 t=_self]implemented[/url], this email notification could also be used to communicate with inactive registered account owners of purging / account removal.

RE: registered account proposal

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:56 pm

I have to agree with the above but also suggest that there is a facility for registered users to notify WOT (or leave a note on their board) if they are otherwise engaged in work, hospital admissions, active military service or anything which will means a long persiod away from WOT which cannot be avoided yet wish to keep their accunts open and not purged.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:20 pm

just a thought
A good one IMO may need refinement depending on other people's view, but I second it, even in its present form

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:51 am

<quote user="issviews">
I have to agree with the above but also suggest that there is a facility for registered users to notify WOT (or leave a note on their board) if they are otherwise engaged in work, hospital admissions, active military service or anything which will means a long persiod away from WOT which cannot be avoided yet wish to keep their accunts open and not purged.[/quote]
Having an "Away" check mark box in the user profile would be a nice addition as a notification to other members who might expect a quick reply to a PM. But to select the option with no intent to return should not be an exclusion to the proposal to clean inactive accounts.

The proposal does not suggest closing an account, just to purge out-dated comments (1 year) and then out-dated ratings (2 years)

A moderator is expected to browse through the recent posts and remove spam or other post as stipulated on the wiki. If that person expects to be called away on active duty then you would hope they would notify Staff to either remove them as a Mod or encourage another Mod be selected to act in their place. If a person is in the hospital in a coma, then the 6 month no activity should automatically "kick in" clearly the individual does not have the capacity to fulfill the obligations expected of them.

I would find it difficult to believe that a working individual could not find a moment within a one year period to log-in to their account. A single log-in would "restart the inactivity clock"

When you register an account on the forums you must agree with the [url=https://www.mywot.com/terms t=_self]Terms[/url]
which state:
Obligations and restrictions
&nbsp;
You agree that any information you may give to WOT as the user of the Services or Software are accurate and up to date. You agree to use the Services and Software only to lawful purposes and you shall at all times comply with all applicable laws and regulations governing the use of the Services and Software. You will explicitly agree not to abuse the rating system.

An inactive user is technically a breach of the Terms for they are not maintaining their information and thus that information is not up to date.

The [url=https://www.mywot.com/terms t=_self]Terms[/url] for an account does not address inactive accounts, but it should.

Many forums purge inactive account activity including the user name registered
My suggestion is to purge outdated user information while preserving the user name for archival purposes.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:23 am

Suggestion:

After 1 year's inactivity, each specific scorecard comment is deleted if there are any more recent comments and ratings by 1+ active member(s) of minimally sufficient reliability - OR if the quality of the comment category deviates substantially from the norm.

What brings this to mind is obscure sites, sometimes abandoned (and maybe hacked), which only one (inactive) member has ever scored, and which may still be unsafe.

In a sense, the site and the scorecard have also "aged". If there are no more recent comments (including owner replies), it can be inferred that the site itself receives little if any attention (possibly abandoned), and therefore may still be as the now-inactive member originally found it. In this case, standard degradation of the score would apply unless/until new comments-ratings appear.

c۞g

@ Myxt

Post by c۞g » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:59 am

This proposal has nothing to do with websites or scorecard, just inactive user accounts.

Let's say I rated a domain for spam based on URIBL back in 2008
Going to URIBL now in 2013 the site is not listed as a result in their search.
My ratings would little to no affect with reputation being they ar more than 1 ro 2 years old
The comment is inaccurate because the domain is not presently "listed"

It doesn't matter if User_A, User_B, ... User_Z have commented like-wise or not; in fact those users ratings and comments have nothing to do with mine. The domain may be expired. Then comes along new registrant who discovers 8 comments 2 or 3 (or more) years old classified as spam 2 of those users are active and have removed ratings and comment from either a PM request or a Site Evaluation topic. The other 6 users whose comments remain as "spam" are dead to WOT from either lack of interest, removal of the add-on, or are no longer living. The new admin has no ability to resolve those old issues so the domain appears tarnished even if it has a Good reputation. People can "look back" and misconstrue those comments, from a previous spamming owner, as being valid for the current owner/site. Since WOT does not manipulate ratings or comments and expects the user to maintain their account, if the user fails to log-in, then the account should be automatically purged to ensure comments and ratings are up-to-date.

I'd offer better examples of this when I'm ready; I have a few things "on my plate" so-to-speak.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:26 am

Better examples...

I should offer a little now.
The current reputation of any rated site is determined by the confidence level of the ratings: old ratings which are "fading" (losing weight) and new ratings which have more precedent as well as their weight (rating reliability)
Basically ratings are dynamic

Comments are not.
Comments may or may not conflict with the site's current reputation, but old comments are simply out-dated. So if a user is no longer present, then those old comments should be revoked automatically and user ratings, after a longer period of time, should also be discarded, after all they no longer hold weight and should not influence the confidence of current ratings (if any).

This ensures a more fair and accurate scorecard appearance and more importantly a more fair and accurate reputation for the site.

Let's remember one simple fact: [url=https://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Ratings_vs._comments t=_self]comments are not ratings[/url].
They have no affect upon reputation and whether they exist or not, they do not influence whether WOT will warn/block a domain. Staff have stated in the past (similar discussions) that old comments are good to remain because they create an archive for the history of the domain. The problem with that is domains expire then become registered again. So the rebuttal is to let the new owner hash out the old comments in a forum discussion - which enforces the point of the Proposal: inactive accounts will not become involved.

[url=https://www.mywot.com/blog/against-textual-comments t=_self]Against textual comments[/url]
WOT did not immediately include the ability to create a scorecard comment, reluctantly they were added.
The basic premise is that [url=https://www.mywot.com/blog/differing-opinions/ t=_self]not everyone leaving comments is being sincere[/url]. Everyone has an agenda. Textual comments can be misleading, contradictory, and confusing. Which ones will you trust? The person who writes the most convincing comments might be wrong or is trying to scam you. It's called [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_engineering_%28security%29 t=_self]social engineering,[/url] and textual comments provide an excellent opportunity for it

MIcroworkers
Create new accounts every day
They spam scorecards with their comments.
If the account is inactive for a year, it would be nice to flush the spam.

Malware
Sites engaged in distributing Malware
Many are innocent sites which are hacked or through poor server security are compromised.
Many are bot created domains which are [url=https://encrypted.google.com/#hl=en&q=transient&tbs=dfn:1 t=_self]transient[/url]
At least one trusted source will identify this site.
And/or it's probable that more than one user will identify this site.

[url=https://www.mywot.com/wiki/Trusted_Sources t=_self]Trusted source[/url] scorecard references
When the trusted source removes the domain from their list
the domain is no longer an active concern for that trusted source
WOT automatically removes the referenced comment
the comment is not kept forever for archival purposes.

Also note that when a trusted source identifies a site, and (for simplicity's sake) no human has rated it, the reputation is lowered a reference is made. When the trusted source delists the domain, the reference is removed from the scorecard BUT the reputation remains until new ratings are received. Inactive users are no longer a "trusted source" their references should be removed gradually as well as their testimony (ratings). If an inactive user is the only one who ever rated the domain having a high enough confidence in their ratings, the reputation will remain until new ratings are received.

JulieA2012

Post by JulieA2012 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:14 pm

<quote user="issviews">
I have to agree with the above but also suggest that there is a facility for registered users to notify WOT (or leave a note on their board) if they are otherwise engaged in work, hospital admissions, active military service or anything which will means a long persiod away from WOT which cannot be avoided yet wish to keep their accunts open and not purged.
[/quote]

I totally agree with this. If there is a reason a person will not be on WOT for awhile, then they should not be demoted if they notify WOT of the reason for their absense. Then again, I'm not sure if I totally agree with demotion at all. I think perhaps it depends on the membership level and length of time.

Idea...

Maybe instead of demoting them their accounts should be temporarily deactivated and sent a notice as such. That way, perhaps they won't be taking up so much room in the database? I really don't know if that would help but it's better--at least to me--than demoting them because they did put in a lot of hard work.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:07 pm

<quote user="juliea2012">If there is a reason a person will not be on WOT for awhile, then they should not be demoted
... [/quote]
What?
[url=https://encrypted.google.com/#hl=en&q=demote&tbs=dfn:1 t=_self]Demoted[/url]
1. Give (someone) a lower rank or less senior position, usually as a punishment

Nothing in the OP suggests either demotion or promotion of a user account. Nor does the OP suggest deactivation / removal of an inactive user's account, or to lower the account's obtained [url=https://www.mywot.com/wiki/Activity_scores t=_self]activity level[/url].

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:36 pm

<quote user="juliea2012">
I totally agree with this. If there is a reason a person will not be on WOT for awhile, then they should not be demoted if they notify WOT of the reason for their absense. Then again, I'm not sure if I totally agree with demotion at all. I think perhaps it depends on the membership level and length of time.

Idea...

Maybe instead of demoting them their accounts should be temporarily deactivated and sent a notice as such. That way, perhaps they won't be taking up so much room in the database? I really don't know if that would help but it's better--at least to me--than demoting them because they did put in a lot of hard work.
[/quote]

The use of the word "demotion" can pollute the discussion. IMO we can better forget that.

@ c۞g I strongly support your proposals, good thinking. And the additions from Issviews are also good.

There's one other thing we still have to think about ( even if we don't want to...... ).
What are we going to do if a member dies ? Not a funny subject, same as making your testimony.
But at some moment this can happen, so you have to.
If ( yes if ) WOT is informed by e.g. partner or family.

Do we need to design a protocol to give some kind of attention to that and - if so - how ?
Idea's : Are we going to create a platform of "honoured members" ?
And who should be the honoured ones ?
Platinum and gold members only ? ( Don't think so, that's too easy thought )

Anyway : I haven't straight ideas at the moment, still brainstorming on it.

Note : I'm coming to this because I've lost a brother in law when he was 47 !
One moment he was joining a neighbourhood meeting to prepare queensday.
After that he went home to do some mailing, fell from his chair and was gone.

That can happen to all of us....... Don't think to much of it, but that's the hard truth.

So suppose something happens to a member and his or her partner reports that to someone on WOT ( staff / mod. or perhaps an accidental member ), than what ?

IMHO we need to be prepared somehow.