Safe Web

Safe Web

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:22 pm

I began to notice that every year there are more and more phishing sites, and the design of these resources is becoming better and better, in my opinion, before issuing all the domain names must be closely monitored for their lives in the web, the only way we can protect yourself from Internet threats.

Я стал замечать, что с каждым годом появляется всё больше и больше фишинговых сайтов, а дизайн у ‎этих ресурсов становится все лучше и лучше, по моему мнению перед тем, как выдавать всем доменные имена, надо установить тщательное наблюдение за их жизнью в Сети, только таким способом мы сможем обезопасить себя от Интернет угроз.

Mark_S_J

and whose going to oversee the overseers?

Post by Mark_S_J » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:52 pm

That would kill the freedom of the web. That's why WOT is so important . To protect from phishing and other bad sites.

Safe Web

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:37 pm

Do not kill the freedom, but to stop infecting computers around the world and spread fraud.

Meat_Wagon

Taming your SVCHOST$

Post by Meat_Wagon » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:52 am

Many svchosts can be prevented from ever forming if the 'auto-update' is turned off any prog, if not and guaranteed if that prog goes active on boot-up, it will open a svchost to check for updates every few nanoseconds, and if it's 'legit software' like Google's toolbar updater, Real u/d-er, etc., or Adobe Reader/Air, so by taking them out of the active start-up group, or going into 'services' [Prog-Files/Admin Tools] and turning them off with auto-start disabled U just closed a svchost. If U have no Apple anything why have 'Apple Mobile Device' running active unless you run Quicktime, and doing nothing but looking thru a svchost port to update or connect with some I-Gizmo? Disabling it & others like it takes the load off your computer and reduced svchosts running maybe 10 unwanted/unneeded svchost entries in processes: active & running. [Task Manager] is a more secure computer running a tad faster, using less bandwidth to ET-Call Home.
Then there is that freeware Flash fun game U d/l-ed that may be active-scripting who-knows what from where? Those I try to get the play the computer kinds and never need the open svchost running global and hot unless they are online multiplayer programs they don't need a svchost they create during install. Also freeware progs like 'Svchost Process Analyzer' © will take a good look at what is open, its a stand-alone app from www.neuber.com/free/svchost-analyzer/index.html with a nice simple novice level GUI & will tell U what is vital for your browser, e-mail, anti-virus updates, etc., and tell you who the distant I.P. is who is tapping into your computer. Find one to a *.dll from a 'Free Wallpaper' prog you thought you got rid of 2 years ago, and that is prolly a hole/svchost hole U should block. Hard to screw it up, seal-off a svchost that runs your browser, no more browser, lesson learned, unseal it and surf yourself into a coma :-) BTW a virgin install lets any prog U install/or comes with the computer preloaded that wants a svchost to install one without much of a peep from a XP firewall, and some are open & created just by installing your Windoze OS, like Updates. OK Linux/Mac users, stop smirking, I am sure U have your own versions of svchosts, or maybe not?
A little advice from someone who once had over 20 svchosts running and a very slow computer with Adobe busting thru on start-up to see if there was a PDF file to read or an update to grab, until I tamed and finally understood vital from unwanted/maybe security breach holes into my computer with Svchost Process Analyzer ©.
Hope that helps,

M_W

Taiming your SVCHOST$

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Thank you for the informative story about the svchost processes.

Information from this site:
Svchost.exe is the most mysterious process in Windows XP/Vista. Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). The authentic svchost.exe file is located in C:\Windows\System32, but numerous viruses and trojans use the same file and process name to hide their activities.

The free Svchost Process Analyzer lists all svchost instances and checks the services they contain. This makes it easy to uncover Svchost worms like the infamous Conficker worm.

Svchost Process Analyzer is a 100% freeware program from www.neuber.com. There is absolutely no installation required. Simply download and run the software.

demonluo

i use process explorer &

Post by demonluo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:46 pm

i use process explorer & winpatrol...
Platinum Level Member of the WOT Community

Yep me too. along with

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:31 am

Yep me too. along with others such as Process Monitor