Sami - Resignation

c۞g

Sami - Resignation

Post by c۞g » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:09 am

From the [url=https://www.mywot.com/aboutus t=_self]About Us[/url] page:
WOT was founded by Sami Tolvanen and Timo Ala-Kleemola when they were post-graduate students at the Tampere University of Technology in 2006. They wanted to create a system where people could share their real-life experiences of different websites, so that other users could benefit and find sites they can trust.

Sami user profile: https://www.mywot.com/user/4
Founding member since September 2006
CTO, co-founder Against Intuition / WOT Services Ltd
I am no longer employed by WOT and won't be able to answer support requests. Please forward any questions or concerns to support@mywot.com.

[url=http://i.imgur.com/UA8fF4f.png t=_blank][img]http://i.imgur.com/UA8fF4f.png[/img][/url]

There should have been a blog article explaining why the add-on creator is suddenly no longer associated with WOT, or at least a forum topic. This should have been done before Sami's "leaving" - it would be difficult to accept any explanation after the fact. I trusted Sami, that is/was why I am here. For a company selling "security through trustworthiness" let's look at the [url=https://encrypted.google.com/#q=define:+trustworthiness t=_self]definition[/url]

Trustworthiness is a moral value considered to be a virtue. A trustworthy person is someone in whom you can place your trust and rest assured that the trust shall not be betrayed.
No announcement to the community, now that's [url=https://encrypted.google.com/#q=define:+betrayal t=_self]betrayal[/url]

I find it curious that the user Sami never engaged in the [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/45536-WOT-freemium t=_self]Freemium thread[/url] and that 5 days after that topic was created it appears he is no longer associated with Web of Trust.

So who is(are) the developer(s) now?

and why should we continue to trust them?

RE: Sami - Resignation or Termination?

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:28 pm

I too don't understand why nothing was said.
Sami would put me in line when I needed it, yet he also was right there to have my back. Which he did many times.

He taught me a lot about patience, and always was there when I needed some help or guidance.

This is just wrong / sad.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:19 pm

There should have been a blog article explaining why the add-on creator is suddenly no longer associated with WOT, or at least a forum topic. This should have been done before Sami's "leaving" - it would be difficult to accept any explanation after the fact. I trusted Sami, that is/was why I am here
Timo, should answer your question or the question that most people have been asking themselves
Trustworthiness is a moral value considered to be a virtue. A trustworthy person is someone in whom you can place your trust and rest assured that the trust shall not be betrayed.
I fully agree with the statement, Sami says that he is no longer employed by WOT

Timo is, and should do the honorable thing by facing the members that in an honorable way, are asking for an answer as CoG asked

Is up to Timo, since Sami is gone and it would be the right thing to do and in particular some one that have given so much to WOT as CoG

I get the feeling that I have been scammed by an organization that was promoted as the Web Of Trust; Talk about irony I truly believed in Sami and Timo's goal / dream of security based in trust

But is up to one founder left, Timo at least give us an explanation of what took place, please answer the question put forward by CoG

Thank you

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:13 pm

I do think that some type of public announcement was in order. I don't think we necessarily have a right to details of an internal personnel matter. There doesn't have to be something sinister going on. But to say nothing is to say something, and it doesn't say anything very good.

The natural history of tech startups is that enthusiastic, talented young people pour their hearts and souls into them, then the businesses grow to the point that they need more time and more money just about the time those enthusiastic not-so-young people are wondering when they'll ever have time to spend the money they're making or to start families with those great genes they've got. The companies are usually sold to more established, faceless corporations, the way SiteAdvisor was sold to McAfee. Otherwise they have to change their own culture, the way Google has rethought its "Don't be evil" motto. Along the way, enthusiastic, talented founders like Steve Jobs get forced out of their own companies because their leadership styles aren't scalable.

Sami had our backs, and he was in the faces of site owners who were trying to intimidate us. The top executives of major companies don't make themselves that available to their customers, especially the ones who aren't paying them any money. And they have to learn to look professional and open minded when dealing with trolls and scammers in public forums, without actually acquiescing to them. Sami could be a bit scrappy at times.

It's been great, but if WOT can't make more money and keep meeting new challenges, the people running it aren't going to be interested in keeping up the daily grind for the next 30 years of their lives. I'm looking forward to the next project Sami gets involved in, and I hope the separation wasn't so bitter that he won't keep in touch with us.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:50 pm

But to say nothing is to say something, and it doesn't say anything very good
Yes !
Sami had our backs, and he was in the faces of site owners who were trying to intimidate us.
And we had his back, in paricular CoG , you do not get this kind of service at any price, much less for free
I trusted Sami, that is/was why I am here
And yet, a simple explanation would have gone a long way, it gives a bad impression not to do it, a "community" was left out in the cold and in particular a trusted member
It's been great, but if WOT can't make more money and keep meeting new challenges, the people running it aren't going to be interested in keeping
The "deal" was made way before and behind closed doors, to give an explanation, meant to stir up the "beehive" while the "workers" were gathering honey, in a cold and calculated manner; the decision was made to close the deal, the feelings of the members, meant nothing
As I look back through the blogs, I can see the effort to make WOT a major player and this one called my attention
https://www.mywot.com/en/blog?page=31
Because the community is always right
That was back then,when trust was a two way street ................. we deserved an announcement and we never got it
No announcement to the community, now that's betrayal
Yes, it was!
To say otherwise is to fool ourselves, enough was, fooling ourselves into believing that, we were right to believe that, altruism was not an outdated comcept and that certain principles, were still alive, as loyalty and honesty
I like to make a comment, about the staff, you worked very hard and could not do anything as some of you told me, my greatest respect goes for all of you You showed a great deal of decency and integrity a very rare trait now days and it makes this situation more bearable

Best regards

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:51 pm

<quote user="alphacentauri">
I do think that some type of public announcement was in order. I don't think we necessarily have a right to details of an internal personnel matter. There doesn't have to be something sinister going on. But to say nothing is to say something, and it doesn't say anything very good.

The natural history of tech startups is that enthusiastic, talented young people pour their hearts and souls into them, then the businesses grow to the point that they need more time and more money just about the time those enthusiastic not-so-young people are wondering when they'll ever have time to spend the money they're making or to start families with those great genes they've got. The companies are usually sold to more established, faceless corporations, the way SiteAdvisor was sold to McAfee. Otherwise they have to change their own culture, the way Google has rethought its "Don't be evil" motto. Along the way, enthusiastic, talented founders like Steve Jobs get forced out of their own companies because their leadership styles aren't scalable.

Sami had our backs, and he was in the faces of site owners who were trying to intimidate us. The top executives of major companies don't make themselves that available to their customers, especially the ones who aren't paying them any money. And they have to learn to look professional and open minded when dealing with trolls and scammers in public forums, without actually acquiescing to them. Sami could be a bit scrappy at times.

It's been great, but if WOT can't make more money and keep meeting new challenges, the people running it aren't going to be interested in keeping up the daily grind for the next 30 years of their lives. I'm looking forward to the next project Sami gets involved in, and I hope the separation wasn't so bitter that he won't keep in touch with us.
[/quote]

Sami was great!

You could tell his dedication to WOT. He stood behind his users. What happened to the other lady, Deborah S? She did excellent tutorials for WOT and had a wonderful pleasant, people-oriented voice.

BTW these are great points made above!

Satch

evilfantasy

Post by evilfantasy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:23 pm

I don't think we necessarily have a right to details of an internal personnel matter.[/quote]

Agreed. Sami didn't mention why he is no longer employed so he himself may want to keep the details private. I would like to know why but I also respect internal employee information being private.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:46 pm

<quote user="satchman">
What happened to the other lady, Deborah S? She did excellent tutorials for WOT and had a wonderful pleasant, people-oriented voice.

Satch
[/quote]

https://blog.avast.com/author/salmi/

I don't think we necessarily have a right to details of an internal personnel matter. There doesn't have to be something sinister going on.
[/quote]

I also agree

Laidi

Post by Laidi » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:21 am

<quote user="satchman">
What happened to the other lady, Deborah S? She did excellent tutorials for WOT and had a wonderful pleasant, people-oriented voice.

Satch
[/quote]

Deborah is out of WOT since 2011. She is currently working for Avast. But we have new tutorials. You can check them on WOT's YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/MyWOT

As for Sami, I believe that we should respect his personal choice.

NotBuyingIt

RE: Sami - I am curious, mellow

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:03 am

<quote user="laidi">It is a personal matter and if someone wants to say the reasons he can, if not it is his own choice. [/quote]Yet one must accept that the longest term, most dedicated and enthusiastic community members will feel shocked.

I don't wish to appear in the least infuriated, betrayed, indignant, exasperated or resentful. I'm not demanding anything. But if you happen to be in contact with [url=https://www.mywot.com/en/user/4 t=_self]Sami[/url], please pass along my best wishes for him. Very obviously, a great many people wish him well. I've appreciated his efforts and inventions.

Respectfully.