School or Security of Others?

Reprotected

Post by Reprotected » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:46 pm

So choose? School or Security of Others? Anyways, I guess in the winter, I can help out, or this P.A. Day on Friday I can rate some website, hate the homework in High School, not that I can't do it, just annoying... Anyways, keep the website nice and safe, and has the MyWOT staff stop rating sites for a couple of days?
Anyways, good luck =] (I also like to play Team Fortress 2, don't blame me, I could have used the time rating some websites, but since I got a new graphics card, I just got really lazy)

lordpake

It's always good to have

Post by lordpake » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:23 pm

It's always good to have other things on your mind too. They help to put those other things in perspective :)

Plus little time spent elsewhere can help you see things in a different light too, and give new ideas.

Word of advice: get a good high school diploma, it'll make life so much easier. With good diploma you have better chances of choosing what to do next. This coming from someone who could have made it into university if it weren't for such **tty high school diploma .... Instead my options were far more limited.

"Men make good pets."

logicman

I remember school.

Post by logicman » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:40 pm

I remember school. Hated it!
My schooling was in the days when we had a lot of boring rote learning.
It was after leaving school that I came to love maths, linguistics, science generally.

A diploma or degree is your investment in your future.

As for the choice between rating sites and playing games: sometimes its just no contest: http://fantasticcontraption.com/ :-)

Anyway, thats what these graphics cards are for - ASCII text ratings you can do in only 1K of screen memory!
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Protect and Surf.

wehaveitall

I teach myself way more than school ever taught me

Post by wehaveitall » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:33 am

I'm still in school too. Luckily now im in a gifted program and the teachers are some what better. Elementary school especially was terrible though. I remember in sixth grade they were teaching us phonics. It was pathetic. And they were teaching us in math addition, subtraction and multiplication.
Of course, part of the problem is I live in Arizona which is 48th in education. Still.. :/ these schools need to be fixed.

I used to play games a lot, but because I was starting to learn so little in school, i started teaching myself everything. In fifth grade I taught myself long division. Now I'm writing essays on the Maya to be published through triond -_-. Even with my teaching of myself however, I'm still struggle a bit in math because for all of my elementary school life I never learned anything new but addition subtraction and multiplication, so I never got it drummed into me in an early enough age to learn any new concepts in a short time.

I've rated every major site I Know, but whenever I'm researching on google, if I'm sure a site is safe or unsafe, I'll rate it. Although I don't jump at rating, as I try and be as careful as possible to make an accurate rating. I also rate sites once I've "examined" it when I occasionally use stumbleupon
Wot rocks

phantazm

I remember too

Post by phantazm » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:12 am

I also remember schools. But I only hated half of them.
More or less for the same reason that logicman mentioned.
However I loved maths, physics, natural science from the beginning.
But I also had the misfortune of a teacher (of both math and physics) that thought such stuff was utterly boring. I only survived 3 looong years by reading on my own. Of course that didn't give me good grades, but it kept my curiosity alive.

Well, I guess the morale here is that learning is a good thing, one way or another.
I still value questions more than repeating already existing answers.
So, whatever you do, keep learning and keep your curiosity alive...

Besides that, I agree with logicman and lordpake...

Finally I feel like quoting Arthur C Clarke (quoting somebody else) describing himself: "He never grew up but he never stopped growing". Nice point, imo...

AnonymousSpecial

Well, I may be leaving too

Post by AnonymousSpecial » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:53 am

Well, I may be leaving too for a bit. I'm going to university next week and besides lectures, sports, societies and going to the Student Union I'm not sure how much time I will be spending online. Of course I will still be using the internet for research and watching old TV shows online to avoid having to pay the TV license, but my rating activity will definitely go down. Probably enough to knock me off the top 30 list anyway.

I will still be rating things occasionally, and I will probably discover new websites during my research. I will also try to remain active on these forums.

Sami

Re: Life

Post by Sami » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 am

There's no shame in having a life, you guys should go get one before it's too late. For some of us, there's no hope left. :)

Reprotected

Re: Re: Life

Post by Reprotected » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:57 pm

There's no hope left? Is that a joke? What about driving to work, sleeping, eating, exercising, going home and watch TV, drink beer/wine, and rate some websites, that's a life =]

Of course, I'll take that as a joke =P

Anyways, I'll just do my homework and play some Steam Games while at it, and maybe catch some websites in a week or Friday ^^

phantazm

Both..?

Post by phantazm » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:47 am

It need not be alternatives, why not combine?

I guess two thing could be true about wot members participating on this forum.
In one or more areas we're no longer newbies, some even experts in their field. But let us not forget the opposite group. We all know a newbie; someone who just bougth the first pc, or a person that never has send an email (like McCain), or any other kind of cybernovice...

They all need a Security School.
Newbies are born every minute. And
the proverbial Aunt Nellie is still out there,
maybe or maybe not already a zombie, part of a botnet.

phantazm

Levels of Leif...

Post by phantazm » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:48 am

There are many levels of life,
abysmal light and black holes in the sky...
We have to belive in Free Will - we've got no choise!

PS: Merely a poetic streak. Please don't read this as logical advice...