Should WOT block political sites?

wandrer

Should WOT block political sites?

Post by wandrer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:43 am

This web site:

http://www.timothyraymurray.com/

is flagged by WOT for "unproven or incorrect product claims or it may be involved in activities perceived as unethical.". It is a web site promoting a politician and certainly appears to be very dishonest.

But why has WOT flagged it? I rely on WOT to block Phishing scams, spammers, malware distributes and the like.

I often visit political sites, even ones which I expect to be dishonest. It pays to know the enemy. If WOT is going to block political sites, the word will get around and soon people will join WOT to vote down the sites they disagree with; it could end up with a high proportion of political sites blocked.

c۞g

RE: Should WOT block political sites?

Post by c۞g » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:49 am

WOT doesn't "block" anything.
You do realize that the website loads and if the reputation is poor then the warning pae (overlay) is displayed. Of course, if you give the domain good ratings, you will not see the warning page because WOT doesn't warn you for sites you trust.

WOT "flagged" it because the current reputation is poor.
Offer your ratings to support the site or the current reputation; how else would it change?

wandrer

Post by wandrer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:46 pm

I do not want to give it a good rating as it is a dishonest web site. And I am not going to give it a bad rating, just because I dislike the politics.

If it is OK to flag a site for political reasons, is it OK to flag it for religious reasons?

You ask "how else would it change?"

It could change if there was a policy of not rating on political grounds.

Or I could just quit WOT.

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:56 am

If it is OK to flag a site for political reasons, is it OK to flag it for religious reasons?
Of course it's not. but Mywot is about trust. Some people don't trust others with a different point of view. And some just can't accept different point of views. Those are narrow minded, ignorant abd holier-than-thou.

I've ssen it on German sites, too. Although i have to admit, some politcal sites are run by political scammers, so this might be correct.

But i agreee that in general it's annoying.

Ask for review so many others can have a look at this site. Maybe it will change.

redblade7

Post by redblade7 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:44 pm

is flagged by WOT for "unproven or incorrect product claims or it may be involved in activities perceived as unethical.". It is a web site promoting a politician and certainly appears to be very dishonest.
This is one of the main reasons I don't use or recommend the WOT addon (the other major reason being Symantec-endorsed malicious sites getting an automatic green rating).

Instead I treat myWOT.com Scorecards as "site reviews" and recommend it as such - it's excellent for this purpose. The WOT Addon automatically results in simplistic warnings for everything.

Nobody on the forum seems to agree, but I think we should focus primarily on myWOT.com Scorecards rather than the WOT Addon.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:10 pm

<quote user="wandrer">
I do not want to give it a good rating as it is a dishonest web site. And I am not going to give it a bad rating, just because I dislike the politics.[/quote]
There is a difference between disagreeing with a political view and identifying a site as being dishonest aka [url=https://encrypted.google.com/#q=define:+dishonest t=_self]untrustworthy[/url]
Others may feel it is dishonest (unethical) and have offered appropriate ratings; hence a warning to others.

Daydreamed

Post by Daydreamed » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:44 pm

There is no reason of this website being rated red. Yes, his claims are considered untruthful, but WOT is about safety, not politics.

Gregretrobot

Post by Gregretrobot » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Wow. This got so much more interesting once I actually looked at the site.

I don't really see that politics is the issue here... The site is not as much a political website as it is a construct of an unbalanced (if not completely insane) mind. Mr. Murray COULD be considered to be defaming the candidate who actually won the election... BUT, he's actually accusing the candidate of being a robot or body double.

Obvious conclusion: This guy is paranoid delusional - but that's not politics (although I acknowledge that they often go hand in hand).
The site, as of the 7th, now simply consists of a paragraph of text explaining his position, and nothing else. You can see the previous version of his site in Google's cache.

Based on the content currently on that site, uhmmm...
I think... uhhhhhhhhh...
*scratching head*

I guess I have no idea.
It doesn't really deserve a rating imho, especially since we don't have a "Paranoid-Delusional Ramblings" category. So I'll leave it alone, with hope that Mr. Murray be treated soon for his mental issues.

If any of you feel that websites created by the mentally unhinged should all automatically be classed as untrustworthy... I'd then ask you where that line is drawn between "hinged" and "unhinged". And then I'll make some popcorn and have a seat.

gr

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:28 pm

<quote user="hamtaro's jingle">
There is no reason of this website being rated red. Yes, his claims are considered untruthful, but WOT is about safety, not politics.
[/quote]

SiteAdvisor is about safety. WOT is about trust.

liquid_dragon

Post by liquid_dragon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Agree with a couple of comments here 1) WOT doesn't block anything, it just warns that you may not want to go to that page but it gives you the choice 2) WOT stands for Web of TRUST, not Web of Safety, some of the ratings have a safety component but ultimately the question is do you TRUST the site.

Regarding the issues of rating political sites. In the United Sates we have the freedom of speech. That means anybody can put up a website and say whatever they want whether it is political, religious, or meaningless rantings. That also means that others can come to WOT and use their freedom of speech to say whatever they want about that site. Granted there are limits on free speech to protect against slander, false product claims, threats, etc.

In this case you are saying the site was rated poorly, would you be concerned about the opposite situation? Say enough people rated this site as a "good site" to outweigh the "bad site" ratings. Would you argue that WOT failed?

WOT offers guidance, it should not be considered the authority. If you go to a site and it is rated poorly you can use the rating reviews to determine whether you want to go to the site or not. Saying that WOT shouldn't be used to rate certain types of site goes against free speech, openness, and transparency. Not to mention that it would likely lead to abuse and ultimately defeat the benefit of WOT.