Similar sites now available on the scorecard

The Big Bin

-

Post by The Big Bin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:57 pm

In real life, what percentage of WOT site raters is going to do that? ;-)

--
Per aspera ad astra

Sami

Re: -

Post by Sami » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:00 pm

It doesn't really matter. If users aren't interested in similar sites, they don't have to vote for them.

Sami

Re: -

Post by Sami » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:03 pm

it would never ever be WOT's intention to forward people to sites it itself classifies as dangerous

All the links point to scorecards, not the sites themselves. Of course, the idea is to show only sites with good reputations.

They could now use this new feature to find other bad sites if they want to access something they are not allowed to see

They can use similarsites.com or even Google for that.

The Big Bin

-

Post by The Big Bin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:20 pm

Well in that case, we can tell you anything. :-)

--
Per aspera ad astra

I agree but neither should

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:26 pm

I agree but neither should they be reminded of them within their own profile pages.

www.issviews.com for views and news of the starte of digital security. Add your comments/.feedback on your existing security software to help others choose what's right for them and what isn't. Read up on the latest rogue software and threats too.

I don't mean to be rude here

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:28 pm

I don't mean to be rude here Sami but has WOT thought this through or just allowed this feature to be implemented based on a handful of nubs who said it was nice? You seem to support a feature that is clearly causing discontent with a few regular WOT users that have the common sense to see it being a waste of space and, if anything, a deterrent to look at any profiles?

Do I assume this is another way to get people to interact more in rating sites and IS WOT that desperate for these raiting they have to push them within our own site profiles and not give us the option to disable it?

Was one day really enough to get people to provide feedback on such a highly prominent inclusion to the WOT community. I know many people said they wanted it but how many actually will use it and will stay? I am sure quite a few of those that did approve of this sit by and use the tool but don't rate many sites.

[cite]The information comes from similarsites.com.You can vote for similar sites on their website.[/cite]

And what sort of answer is this? Did anyone in WOT actually check this site and its so-called ability to show similar sites or are you just trying to give them some media attention? Why do I feel that this feature has been put in place as a financial incentive to WOT and not the users?

This is a great site and tool but I can see it rapidly becoming just another site spamming us with useless adverts if decisions like this are anything to go by.

There I have said my piece so please don't fob me of with excuses on supporting this feature or working with it as I will not concur. Other scorecards should not be within anyones profile pages. Full Stop.

www.issviews.com for views and news of the starte of digital security. Add your comments/.feedback on your existing security software to help others choose what's right for them and what isn't. Read up on the latest rogue software and threats too.

ganmerlad

funny but not funny

Post by ganmerlad » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:35 pm

The Jesustrail.com site showing up at the bottom of your scorecard made me laugh (sorry). Go to similarsites.com and do a search on your site (you get a longer list) -- there is at least one full-on-red (run away and lock your door) site which shows up as 'similar' to your site. http://www.similarsites.com/sites-like/issviews.com

Similarsites also should have a red vendor rating on it's own scorecard because many of its ads are rated as coming from companies that are red/malicious in WOT ratings. Lastly, similarsites is a beta program which always makes me think twice. I personally think it is questionable to use it in connection with WOT when it isn't working off of WOT standards (and has plenty of misses regarding "similar" -- it would be interesting to know what its program looks for in making these lists up)

Failed

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:41 pm

I think your test failed, Timo. I hope it was, as you said, a "test".

(This "new feature" seems useless to me, BTW.)

Sami

Re: I don't mean to be rude here

Post by Sami » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:46 pm

allowed this feature to be implemented based on a handful of nubs who said it was nice?

We always try to consult our community when adding new features, but the final decision is still ours. In this case, the poll results where over a hundred users indicated interest in the feature were a final confirmation that we should start testing it. That's what we are doing now. Whether we decide to drop the feature or continue developing it depends on the feedback we receive during testing.

Are you saying there is something wrong with this approach?

Was one day really enough to get people to provide feedback

Our community has been requesting this type of feature for years and I'm pretty sure even the poll has been up for almost a week.

on such a highly prominent inclusion to the WOT community

I feel one row at the bottom of the scorecard is hardly prominent and it shouldn't cause too much inconvenience for those who aren't interested in the information.

Did anyone in WOT actually check this site and its so-called ability to show similar sites

SimilarSites.com has an excellent reputation and our friends at Mozilla are recommending their Firefox add-on. I suppose nothing is perfect, but they seem rather harmless to me. Whether this is a worthwhile feature should become clear during testing.

Why do I feel that this feature has been put in place as a financial incentive to WOT and not the users?

We are always looking for ways to better serve our community. It's even better if doing so also creates us some revenue, because we do have bills to pay. Still, nobody is paying us to test this feature if that's what concerns you.

I can see it rapidly becoming just another site spamming us with useless adverts

I don't feel linking to our own scorecards constitutes spamming you with useless adverts. Considering we've never had ads on our website, I believe your worries about the site rapidly becoming flooded with them is a bit premature.

Other scorecards should not be within anyones profile pages

Scorecards aren't profile pages and I don't see any harm in linking to other scorecards from them.

Sami

Re: I agree but neither should

Post by Sami » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Scorecards aren't profile pages and site owners really shouldn't expect to have control over the content.