Similar sites now available on the scorecard

Echo

Сообщение Guest » Вс мар 07, 2010 3:34 am

I agree.

Jazspeak

eliminating dial up users from the equation?

Сообщение Jazspeak » Вс мар 07, 2010 12:33 pm

Yes, and it is not my marketing strategy but it is a fact that there are moves by the telecommunications industry towards the expansion of broadband to the extent that dialup will eventually be phased out, or become so marginalised as to play no part in any marketing strategies.

True but let us all not

Сообщение Guest » Вс мар 07, 2010 12:37 pm

True but let us all not forget that untill dial-ip has been iliminated we still have to give consideration to this minority of users.

www.issviews.com for views and news of the starte of digital security. Add your comments/.feedback on your existing security software to help others choose what's right for them and what isn't. Read up on the latest rogue software and threats too.

Kraftwerk

Re: Does not equate

Сообщение Kraftwerk » Вс мар 07, 2010 12:41 pm

"Not very active" does not necessarily equate to "not experienced", nor does "very active" necessarily mean it's an "experienced" user.

That´s correct. It´s only an assumption that users who are not very active and probably new (as you´ve mentioned) visited the main page, discovered a poll and thougth: "don´t know much about scorecards but this feature sounds nice so i´ll vote for it."

So i´ve mixed these both things,although it doesn´t need to be so!!

Blueberrycake Level Member of the WOT Community

Stole my thunder

Сообщение Guest » Вс мар 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Was about to say the same thing myself . . . took the words right out of my mouth.

To me it's a matter of courtesy. For example, you'll see on many troubleshooting forums that they ask their broadband members to keep the size of the images as small as possible for the sake of the dial up members.

Very courteous . . . if more people were that way, we would perhaps have a more pleasant mentality than "catch up or be left behind".

While I agree that perhaps dial up will become less populated, that's no reason not to consider a courteous gesture toward those that are still archaic at the moment.

Echo that Echo

Сообщение Guest » Вс мар 07, 2010 1:11 pm

I thought it would be like LinkExtend were the Links are click-able.

The Big Bin

-

Сообщение The Big Bin » Вс мар 07, 2010 5:34 pm

It might surprise you, but I am one of those users on dial-up, yet I'd like to check out scorecards still ;;-)

It's not my fault btw, it's simply the place where I live where there's nothing else available, and will never be (not even in the future). There is absolutely nothing I'm capable of doing about it, and that would be the case with most of those still on narrowband.

Ruling them all out would be like restricting the internet to cities only.

--
Per aspera ad astra

Jazspeak

It doesn't surprise me

Сообщение Jazspeak » Вс мар 07, 2010 7:44 pm

It doesn't surprise me that there are dialup users, such as yourself, although I am surprised that you so adamantly state, "...there's nothing else available, and will never be (not even in the future)" Do you have some special insight into the future that the rest of us mere mortals lack? When you state that there is, "...absolutely nothing I'm capable of doing about it...", I have to say that you seem to be restricting your perception of your abilities. The fact that you have raised your dialup predicament on this forum is doing something about it, and although it might not solve your problem immediately it does help to bring the issue to global public attention.

I don't think that anybody has suggested that your having to use dailup at present is your fault, or anybody else's. Indeed, there are plenty of countries that have yet to install the infrastructure for broadband, most notably in Africa, but that doesn't mean that it is anybody's fault (perhaps with the exception of corrupt politicians spending their nation's money on themselves).

Here in the West it is now almost impossible to run any sort of business without broadband, and so the people in the West have tended to use some of their democratic power to get the broadband infrastructure installed, usually by voting with their feet and leaving those telecommunications companies that were too slow on the uptake or charged too much. Hence BT (a UK telecommunications company) has lost a huge number of customers to their rivals.

You like to "...check out scorecards...", and I certainly wouldn't want to restrict you from doing so even though I find the scorecards only of passing interest and, therefore, non-essential. I am most interested in the WOT 'traffic lights' that give me a clue as to which sites are probably safe and which sites require caution. It is sometimes helpful to read the comments that relate to some sites to see another opinion, and I even write comments if I think that it is pertinent to the ratings that I give. However, in the context of this thread, it makes little or no difference to my Internet usage whether there are additional links on any scorecards, which is why I voted neutral in the poll (so much for secret ballots, eh?).

Kraftwerk

Re:

Сообщение Kraftwerk » Вс мар 07, 2010 8:05 pm

Do you have some special insight into the future that the rest of us mere mortals lack

I have to say that you seem to be restricting your perception of your abilities

Could you imaging that telecommunication companies have no interests in investing into the infrastructure in areas where no one lives or at least no increase of the population can be expected for decades? In these areas won ´t be investment for years.

Blueberrycake Level Member of the WOT Community

The Big Bin

-

Сообщение The Big Bin » Вс мар 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Could you imaging that telecommunication companies have no interests in investing into the infrastructure in areas where no one lives or at least no increase of the population can be expected for decades? In these areas won ´t be investment for years.

Yup, that's the point.

So ruling those out would make no sence in my opinion - they'll always remain.

--
Per aspera ad astra

Ответить