sites with hidden iframes

bloodymime

sites with hidden iframes

Post by bloodymime » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:57 am

how do you rate web sites, that get compromised by malware through no fault of their own.?.

Sami

re:sites with hidden iframes

Post by Sami » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:42 am

I think that mostly depends on how the owner of the website handles the situation. If the site owner quickly fixes the security issue, the reputation might suffer, but probably returns back to normal fairly soon. However, if the owner doesn't care about security problems, the site will lose credibility and its reputation will most likely plummet. Of course, this is up to our users.

Vednier

Post by Vednier » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:51 pm

I want to join this discussion.

Some time ago i found that pages loaded through actually bypasses WOT signalization.

I have stumbled to some site with DANGEROUS mark in WOT, and after i found another site with IFRAME used to load first site (i checked frames in Firefox) and WOT don't gave me any alerts!

In this case, i think, bad webmasters can extensively use "domain masking" features, presented by some Domain registrants - this masks used invisible iframe to wrap one site to another domain name.

I think - this is a HUGE security hole in WOT

Sami

Post by Sami » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:39 pm

This isn't exactly a security hole, the add-on doesn't inspect the contents of the websites you visit. That's not a bad idea for future versions though.

Anyway, if a website loads dangerous content in an iframe, it's no different than loading dangerous content locally. In both cases, the site's reputation should be dangerous. It's just that we don't know every dangerous website in the world yet, but we're working on it...

I hope you gave a testimony for the site.