So long, FileHippo

evilfantasy

So long, FileHippo

Post by evilfantasy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:41 pm

A few months back I started to notice some odd changes at the FileHippo website that just didn't seem to fit and made me suspicious. Today my suspicions are confirmed. FileHippo is turning to adware and will be using download wrappers.

Source: Take care, FileHippo starts offering downloads via Installers!

FileHippo has turned to adware and no longer trustworthy.

For unaltered software installers use www.majorgeeks.com

MysteryFCM

RE: So long FileHippo

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Some irony in thewindowsclub.com site's choice of adverts ........ :o(

http://temp.it-mate.co.uk/imgthewindowsclub_com.jpg

evilfantasy

Post by evilfantasy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:28 pm

Agreed. I like TWC articles but they have the ads maxed out on their website. ABP is a must have on that website.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:21 pm

At least Major Geeks tells you upfront what add-ons may be included with the software. File Hippo used to be really good. Now it looks like they are going to be turning into another Cnet. I can't believe that these venders are that desperate for money that they need software wrappers in their downloads.

There's got to be a better way to make money than to force PUP's on someone's computer!

Satch

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm

<quote user="satchman">
At least Major Geeks tells you upfront what add-ons may be included with the software. File Hippo used to be really good. Now it looks like they are going to be turning into another Cnet. I can't believe that these venders are that desperate for money that they need software wrappers in their downloads.

There's got to be a better way to make money than to force PUP's on someone's computer!

Satch
[/quote]

There is, but the "we've got pay for x, y, z" excuse (amongst other things (me sceptical? never!)) always seems to be the standard response.

evilfantasy

Post by evilfantasy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:50 am

I'm pretty sure I found a FileHippo spoof website. file-hippo.net

---------------------------------

Official FileHippo.com domains.
[massrate]cache.filehippo.com
filehippo.com
loki.filehippo.com
news.filehippo.com
update.filehippo.com
www-web.filehippo.com
www-web01.filehippo.com
www-web02.filehippo.com
www-web03.filehippo.com[/massrate]

evilfantasy

Post by evilfantasy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:30 am

<quote user="satchman">File Hippo used to be really good. Now it looks like they are going to be turning into another Cnet.[/quote]

The common denominator of Cnet and FileHippo is they are both owned by companies who make most of their money from advertising.

hotdoge3

RE: So long, FileHippo

Post by hotdoge3 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:18 am

looks like filehippo one not so bad as you can op-out see http://temp.it-mate.co.uk/imgthewindowsclub_com.jpg

Snapfiles no op-out (pci-filerecovery.exe) welcome to the ShopFiles.com Download Manager pci-file-recovery.exe and no op-out

download(dot)com bad Softpedia some spyware Major Geeks got a game and avast stop it badwareit but think most dowloads ok ?

MysteryFCM

RE: So long, FileHippo

Post by MysteryFCM » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:02 am

<quote user="hotdoge3">
looks like filehippo one not so bad as you can op-out see http://temp.it-mate.co.uk/imgthewindowsclub_com.jpg

Snapfiles no op-out (pci-filerecovery.exe) welcome to the ShopFiles.com Download Manager pci-file-recovery.exe and no op-out

download(dot)com bad Softpedia some spyware Major Geeks got a game and avast stop it badwareit but think most dowloads ok ?
[/quote]

Should be opt-in, not opt-out ;o)

evilfantasy

Post by evilfantasy » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:07 pm

<quote user="evilfantasy">
The common denominator of Cnet and FileHippo is they are both owned by companies who make most of their money from advertising.
[/quote]

I said that wrong. They are both owned by *parent* companies who make their money from advertising.

CNET is owned by CBS Interactive and FileHippo is owned by Well Known Media.