Suggestion: WOT Bookmarklet

PikadudeNo1

Suggestion: WOT Bookmarklet

Post by PikadudeNo1 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:06 am

A number of social bookmarking sites provide bookmarklets, which function as a sort of universal add-on for any browser for easy access to the service. I think a similar thing would work very well for WOT: a bookmarklet that would create a pop-up window, from which you can view/set the same information available from clicking the WOT toolbar button in the Firefox extension.

On my Macintosh, I'm considering switching from Firefox to Camino (or perhaps another open-source Mac browser). Being able to take WOT with me would make me feel more comfortable about the switch, even though WOT would no longer be omnipresent (I would have to click the bookmarklet to see anything).

Sami

re:Suggestion: WOT Bookmarklet

Post by Sami » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:15 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, we'll look into it. I think there might be some issues with user authentication in a bookmarklet though, so allowing testimonies may not be feasible with that approach.

PikadudeNo1

Post by PikadudeNo1 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:58 pm

Well, the bookmarklet could create a pop-up window that uses the URL of a script on mywot.com, plus the domain name of the current page as a parameter. If you want to be fancy, it could stick an iframe into the current page that does the same thing. I'm pretty sure that would work.

Sami

Post by Sami » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:23 pm

Yes, I'm sure that would be fine for showing the reputations. One could even use our existing API for displaying general reputations in a bookmarklet right now:

http://www.mywot.com/en/wot/blog/2006/12/19/

However, the full client software needs to be able to persistently store user credentials locally in order to perform cryptographic authentication for testimonies. As I said, doing this may prove to be slightly challenging in a bookmarklet, but we'll see.

Also, it should be remembered that moving the reputation indicator from the browser to a web page will definitely make it easier for a malicious page to manipulate the reputations you see.