Support is ending for Windows XP

spectre

Support is ending for Windows XP

Post by spectre » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:37 pm

Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014. If you're running this version after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows.
See [url=http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/lifecycle t=_self] Microsoft [/url]

KoolerTheFirst

RE: Support is ending for Windows XP

Post by KoolerTheFirst » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:59 am

The end of an era.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:38 am

you won't get security updates for Windows.
only because they cannot create an OS which is secure
instead it's the old (very old) "upgrade" scam where every couple years they want you to dump what you have and buy new. Imagine the automotive industry doing the same thing, after 3 - 5 years you couldn't get parts for repairs, instead you have to buy a new car... Ever wonder how MS got so... rich?

用戶星光

Post by 用戶星光 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:12 am

Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014. If you're running this version after support ends, you won't get security updates for Windows.

- Microsoft
Even MS says their dodgy "updates" are over, I won't change my current OS, which is Windows XP....Hahahaha! (Even my mom and dad don't like changing OS :/)
But if I could (or if it's "mandatory" in my country), I would rather jump to Linux Mint.

<quote user="c۞g"> Imagine the automotive industry doing the same thing, after 3 - 5 years you couldn't get parts for repairs, instead you have to buy a new car... [/quote]
LOL! :D I agree with cog's opinion

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:50 pm

@Shazza

Too bad to hear that. Though I'm already on W7 , IMO XP is still the most pleasant one to work with.
Especially when it comes to processing pictures ( what I'm doing often ).
Anyway times change and at MS "the chimney has to smoke" too. ( Dutch way of saying that money has to be earned ).

CreativeJones

Post by CreativeJones » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:35 pm

It still seems too soon; the Windows XP OS works pretty well and is adaptable to today's standards for programs and web.

I can agree with Cog's point considering that this may be something to increase their market.

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Microsoft gave notice of the end of support for XP quite a while ago. However, that doesn't mean that XP can't continue to be used.

One idea worth considering is to use the [url=http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx t=_self]Disk2vhd[/url] tool to create a vhd file of the XP OS and then upgrade to a newer OS such as Linux Ubuntu 12.04 Studio Alternative, and run the XP vhd in a virtual machine.

darths

Post by darths » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:29 pm

In my experience, most XP machines now are offline workstations or kiosks, so probably end of support is less than an issue for a large share of XP users.
Too soon for RT to catch up in embedded/dedicated market, too late to invest in CE, too bad 7 is very difficult to buy, and too cheesy Windows 8 and its load of NSA spyware and Bing adware... I've seen a lot of solution based on iOS, Android and, lately, Ubuntu coming up in those months.
Yea, it's kind of end of an era!

Brothers

Post by Brothers » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:10 pm

XP had been a huge change in the world of computers and it's sad to know that MS has pulled its hand out

th3br41n

Post by th3br41n » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:59 pm

Windows XP was released more than 12 years ago, it is not exactly 2 years. However, the support for Windows XP Embedded (e.g., kiosks/ATMs, medical devices) ends on [url=http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+XP&Filter=FilterNO t=_blank]January 12, 2016[/url].