Symantec Lawsuit

Symantec Lawsuit

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:47 pm

What do you think, has Symantec moved to the darkside.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/symantec-accused-of-using-scareware-tactics-to-sell-full-version-products/66812?tag=nl.e550

(for the record an ESET SS user)

RE: Symantec Lawsuit

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:24 pm

I'd rather be silent since I would not install any Symantec software even if they paid me.o)

All I can say is that article reminds me of this somehow
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=12258

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:37 pm

<quote user="leofelix">
I'd rather be silent since I would not install any Symantec software even if they paid me.o)

All I can say is that article reminds me of this somehow
http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=12258
[/quote]

Now that hilarious, thanks for the link.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:30 am

Hubris, I would say. Adobe, Symantec, and others such as AOL, McAfee, and Nero, aspire to be your OS - which is to say, "to be all things to all people". Adobe's (and it is still Adobe's) PDF is a proprietary black box with it's own security rules. Symantec/Norton never ceases spreading themselves too thin with capricious and misbegotten tinkering with file systems and the Windows registry - sorry if anyone here adores them, I've seen too many horror stories.

Sooner or later, in the life of any security company, there must come a collision of technical complexity and competency (ala "The Peter Principle" - not you, Peter), marketing expediency, and the user interface.

@leofelix - like the bumper stickers which say "My Other Car is a Ferrari". Maybe Symantec will buy a rebranding option from MBAM.

giedrius

Post by giedrius » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:46 pm

I am ESET SS user myself, though I run PC Tools (AKA owned by Symantec) software for testing purposes almost daily.
Personally, I think that main Symantec antivirus line is bloatware, but Symantec is not darkside and overall is doing quite a lot of good.

For me, PC Tools SD software has a bit too low aggressiveness at detecting some threats. It confirms threats by more "signals" than some other tools, for example it might miss file whose process was killed before scan. That is why it has relatively low amounts of false positives under processes/files. What they do wrong, they detect tracking cookies and provide no way to clean them automatically in free version (through provide full info about them). Overall, allegations that it is rogue on itself, are false, though it could include cookie and some malware removal in their trial.

I think Symantec will win the lawsuit easily, but they might wish to improve some of their programs and (most important ) their customer care and marketing divisions to prevent such problems in the future.