The misguided view on Spam!

The misguided view on Spam!

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:13 pm

To my surprise, I read =
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/10622-red-ratings-for-forum-spamming?new=1472989918#comment-349534
I like whoever came up with this insane idea, to retract from such misguided interpretation about the obvious

Spam is a sign of distrust, if WOT ask us not to rate based on spam, then give me the instructions to download all my ratings and I will have to leave, is illegal and unethical to spam and it goes against my values

I want to stay at WOT, I hope this new guideline is rescinded, but if not!

To everyone, thank you, for your friendship and lessons

You are special people, to give freely your time and efforts to protect others on the Net

Never change!

destinationtruth

RE: The misguided view on Spam!

Post by destinationtruth » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:03 pm

I still feel a site that spams should be marked as "Unethical" instead of "Untrustworthy."
Many trustworthy sites spam due to the ignorance of their action.

"Untrustworthy" though will fit the majority of sites that spam because of the products / service they are attempting to entice people to purchase / use.

A case by case evaluation of offending sites should be done.

EDIT: Time Stamp 9/4/2016 3:13:42 PM CST

I do wonder if admin was trying to converse was improperly worded. Could they have been talking about "Scorecard Manipulation" instead of spamming. Maybe they would like to clarify.

A440

Post by A440 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:47 am

I do wonder if admin was trying to converse was improperly worded. Could they have been talking about "Scorecard Manipulation" instead of spamming. Maybe they would like to clarify.
Yes, perhaps there posting needs an edit for clarification, however I routinely rate sites if I find them in Disqus comments on other sites since they are mostly quick-cash scams and whatnot.
Spam tagging comments within WOT comments should at least see a ban on the user's account.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:53 am

Hi, DT =
"I do wonder if admin was trying to converse was improperly worded. Could they have been talking about "Scorecard Manipulation" instead of spamming. Maybe they would like to clarify."

I had an earlier conversation with a good Russian friend [No they won't take over the world :)] and my friend explained it much better and I understood it as you did

It would be nice if the team were, to word it as you did.

Thanks
edit-
Hi A440 =
"Spam tagging comments within WOT comments should at least see a ban on the user's account"
I fully agree!

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:24 am

I still feel a site that spams should be marked as "Unethical" instead of "Untrustworthy."
Many trustworthy sites spam due to the ignorance of their action.

"Untrustworthy" though will fit the majority of sites that spam because of the products / service they are attempting to entice people to purchase / use.

A case by case evaluation of offending sites should be done.

True.

Superficially, based only on the post, it's usually easy to differentiate someone who ignorantly seeks a little boost by "name dropping" or who is making a reasonable statement or question limited to a single post, from someone repeatedly spewing live links wrapped in irrelevant gibber. If I have the least doubt that a post isn't patently spam, I will either investigate or ignore it.

I suspect that admins, who are "up to their eyeballs" in system modifications, aren't able to write eloquent treatises whose intended meanings will be properly understood by each member of an extremely diverse audience.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:24 am

From the original thread =
Dear users,
While spam on the forums and scorecards is not pleasant, this is not a criteria for trustworthiness and therefore is not a reason to rate a site poorly. Spamming the forum should simply be reported to WOT Admins via this form: https://www.mywot.com/support/feedback/abuse and we will take the appropriate actions.
Thanks

This is in my opinion, it is a disservice to those, we aim to protect via our opinions, most of the spammers that come to the forum, spam their products that are either pirated or schemed to deceived others
I will rate them accordingly as not trusted, on the other hand, if the person makes a duplicate post and is warned about it and deletes It's redundant post, then we have a different scenario, but is nothing new, we had this situation before and we have dealt with it, in the same manner I just described
Which begs a simple question
What does MyWOT Team mean with this message, in particular when the scorecard of every site has an evaluation of spam?
It is up to MWOT to explain it
Edit: Spamming on the scorecard should be reported to admins and forum spam should be flagged for WOT moderators. You can report the users themselves to admins via the form
[from the same link]
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/10622-red-ratings-for-forum-spamming?new=1472989918#comment-349370
edited -
I try not to inundate the board of the moderators with flags about spammers on the forum, but when I see one that takes the award, for abusive spamming, I flag it, if this is a new guideline, I have no problem with it and let the moderators deal with it, though I disagree since it was helpful to WOT, but it should be the team that makes a clear statement that does not require eloquence, but clarity, IMO it would have been better not to have writing anything than a post like this

This year alone, I reported over 90 unsolicited, emails to PayPal [all of them positive for phishing] as it is I am using another email account to trap spammers, this is the reason, I expect an opt in or out from privacy policies that would like to email users

Outside Malware, Spam remains the biggest concern to security on the Web and many of the breaches on the internet are done via spam, in particular the present and future of internet, mobile devices

WOT cannot afford to negate or ignore, probably the worst offender, when it comes to security on the internet, Spam

Thank you

MyWOT-Team

Post by MyWOT-Team » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:19 pm

Apologies for the confusion caused by the original post: https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/10622-red-ratings-for-forum-spamming?new=1472989918#comment-349370

To clarify the OP, and the context in which it was made, Spam from websites is a separate topic, and we agree with you that it's bad. We just published 2 blog posts on the topic we'd love to hear your thoughts on.

The post was written in a thread called "Red Ratings for Forum Spamming!!!"

Forum and scorecard spamming is unpleasant, from the occasional self-promotional post to aggressive link posting. WOT's moderators have been doing wonderfully at quickly hiding it and reporting it to Admins, who then ban the account on a temporary or permanent basis.

These spammy posts go against the guidelines and that's why the above practices are in place. But "revenge" is not a criteria for rating and never has been. The action that takes place in this scenario is banning, not the double punishment of banning plus revenge rating.

I hope this helps clear up what the post was referring to.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Apologies for the confusion caused by the original post: https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/10622-red-ratings-for-forum-spamming?new=1472989918#comment-349370

To clarify the OP, and the context in which it was made, Spam from websites is a separate topic, and we agree with you that it's bad. We just published 2 blog posts on the topic we'd love to hear your thoughts on.

Forum and scorecard spamming is unpleasant, from the occasional self-promotional post to aggressive link posting. WOT's moderators have been doing wonderfully at quickly hiding it and reporting it to Admins, who then ban the account on a temporary or permanent basis.

These spammy posts go against the guidelines and that's why the above practices are in place. But "revenge" is not a criteria for rating and never has been. The action that takes place in this scenario is banning, not the double punishment of banning plus revenge rating.

So it's fine if I red-rate a spam that appears here, that advertises counterfeit designer products, fake drugs, or other scams/illegal content, but be careful not to victimize a legitimate site that may have been themselves victimized by a rogue advertiser?

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:44 pm

On behalf of my friends and all members, apologies accepted =
Thank you, for the explanation and lets move to make WOT the dominant force behind security via trusting :)
Best regards!

MyWOT-Team

Post by MyWOT-Team » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:49 pm

So it's fine if I red-rate a spam that appears here, that advertises counterfeit designer products, fake drugs, or other scams/illegal content, but be careful not to victimize a legitimate site that may have been themselves victimized by a rogue advertiser?

Exactly