The Notoriously malicious download.cnet.com (Why I hate download.cnet.com)

the_f18hornet

The Notoriously malicious download.cnet.com (Why I hate download.cnet.com)

Post by the_f18hornet » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Here is one of the most hypocritical downloads I have ever seen on cnet, and this is why I almost NEVER download from them, it is a download for adwcleaner, with the cnet installer enabled. They must really love adware.
here is the link to prove it to you

http://download.cnet.com/AdwCleaner/3000-7786_4-75851221.html

░▒▓█

RE: Why I hate download.cnet.com

Post by ░▒▓█ » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:11 pm

I am pretty certain that CNET installs crap even when you have told it not to, and it is almost impossible to remove, Combofix can do it though. Why it is with such a good reputation I do not know.

seatsea

Post by seatsea » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:06 pm

As far I as I have seen, it only does that on some downloads and there's always a link to not have the "cnet" downloader with adware

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:33 am

<quote user="seatsea@gmail.com">
As far I as I have seen, it only does that on some downloads and there's always a link to not have the "cnet" downloader with adware
[/quote]

Absolutely correct, and many reputable software companies use them for updates without even attempting to use their downloader.

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:20 am

Cnet didn't used to be this bad. Somewhere between point A and point B someone made the decision to turn to the dark side. Years ago I knew far less about how the tech industry really worked. Not only did I learn along my journey but over the years I had observed a growing list of problems regarding Cnet.

I am far from the only one who believes it. Cnet once was trustworthy but over the years it devolved into nothing but a pit of snakes.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:45 pm

I'm a bit sceptical of this CNET now as well. It used to be good, but I think it's slipping downhill now.
For example, I found a software called KooBits on the site:
CNET Editor's Rating = 5 Stars
Average User Rating = 2 Stars, and most reviews were mentioning KooBits had malware.

What a farce.

redblade7

Post by redblade7 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:45 pm

<quote user="54together">
I'm a bit sceptical of this CNET now as well. It used to be good, but I think it's slipping downhill now.
Average User Rating = 2 Stars, and most reviews were mentioning KooBits had malware.

What a farce.
[/quote]

And don't forget how they rig studies about Spybot S&D using dated definitions, where you have 5-star user ratings next to 1-star editor ratings.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:03 pm

<quote user="redblade7">
And don't forget how they rig studies about Spybot S&D using dated definitions, where you have 5-star user ratings next to 1-star editor ratings.
[/quote]

This appears to have changed now:
Editor ratings now stand at 3.5 Stars.

And rigging is just not good. That's why I put the user ratings before the editor ratings. :/

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:00 am

Online ratings should always be taken with a big grain of salt.

the_f18hornet

Post by the_f18hornet » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:44 pm

<quote user="54together">

What a farce.
[/quote]

Thanks for the warning, and cnet just might be a little biased on their reviews.