To the WOT community

ekolis

RE: To the WOT community

Post by ekolis » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:37 pm

I would uninstall the plugin now, but it is useful, and it might never come back... let's see how things go...

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:54 pm

<quote user="ekolis">
I would uninstall the plugin now, but it is useful, and it might never come back... let's see how things go...
[/quote]

Too bad nobody hasn't forked the last open source version and created a "clean" version. I do believe the old source code is still compatible with the current WOT system; the IE add on is quite outdated.

ПАВЕЛ БЕЛАРУС

Post by ПАВЕЛ БЕЛАРУС » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Good evening. I'd like to know when you start to listen to site owners. You feed the trolls and trade sensitive information. I am pleased to observe MYWOT fall!

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:00 pm

What's with the 6 Windows servers 2012 R2 servers now being run on the secure.mywot.com domain?
Were these the servers gathering the data from the add-on?
My understanding is that the add-on does not use that domain to retrieve ratings, but instead the api.mywot.com domain which seems to only have 2 servers (not sure if they are bigger though or are loadbalancers that do little computation) attached to it.

Dynamoo

Post by Dynamoo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:35 pm

I notice that it has all gone quiet from WOT at the moment. Some looking around finds this Finnish article that might be of interest - hxxps://svenska.yle.fi/artikel/2016/11/15/salde-finlandskt-it-foretag-data-om-folks-surfvanor-dataombudsmannen-vill-att - which roughly translates as:
If you use Web of Trust (WOT), a popular addition to the browser, your surfing habits have leaked. The Finnish company behind the product is suspected of secretly selling on user information.

In browsers such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, there are often different so-called extensions that you can add to your Web browser to even browsing should be better and smoother.

Several companies that manufacture browser extensions under the German program Panorama on television channel NDR sold on millions of users' surfing habits, bad anonymized so that individual users can be recognized.

This kind of information can be very valuable for advertisers, because the websites a person surfing on says a lot about what he or she likes.

One of the companies singled out is the Finnish company WOT Services, located behind the product Web of Trust , a browser extension that will help the user to understand how reliable the sites he or she visits are.

The extension is downloaded more than 140 million times.

The Finnish Data Protection Ombudsman Reijo Aarnio says to Yle News that he has received information from the German authorities that the Web of Trust may have leaked badly anonymized user data to external actors, and that he will pass on the case to the police investigation.

It will be next up to the police to decide whether to launch an investigation or not.

Yle News also asked WOT Services for a comment, but we are not yet at this stage received a reply to our request.
Personally, I believe that if this has happened then it's more of a cock-up than a conspiracy, and that whoever authorised the selling of the data didn't realise that it might be possible to identify individuals from it. And I can personally attest that in the past WOT has stood very firmly by its users when they have been threatened for the contributions they have made here.

As far as I can tell the current legal status is this (according to the Finnish companies register) - WOT Services Oy became TOW Software Oy in February of this year. In June that same company went into liquidation and in August the contact address changed to a firm of lawyers called Lindfors & Co in Helsinki. Another other information is very hard to come by. I should imagine at the moment that the owners of WOT are not saying anything else until they can get clearance from the lawyers.

It's a very sad state of affairs. I do hope that it can somehow be resolved.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:23 am

<quote user="site-rater">
Too bad nobody hasn't forked the last open source version and created a "clean" version.
[/quote]

Or maybe they did, and created unclean versions. On a whim, I Googled> download WOT browser add-on site:*.de

Found: _http://www.chip.de/downloads/WOT-fuer-Firefox_32481235.html
which currently warns: "(blah) Until the situation is clarified, [red]we[/red] are no longer offering the extension for download."

OK then, what were they offering?
_https://web.archive.org/web/20160614194308/http://www.chip.de/downloads/WOT-fuer-F ... 81235.html
available via the convenient "Safe Chip Installer" (!)

Elsewhere:
_http://www.maxthon.com/mac/ext/ &nbsp; (download a .CRX 2/3 down the page)
_http://www.crx4chrome.com/extensions/bhmmomiin ... dpbikblnp/ &nbsp; (download a .CRX)

And this is curious: _http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=6136

Among developers, piracy and malicious mods are arguments against open source.

Dark-Matter

Post by Dark-Matter » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:39 pm

[red]I have disabled the WOT extension in all my browsers and rated[/red] https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/mywot.com#rate [red]as unsafe![/red] Used to really like/recommend this plug in.

Trust is like an orchid, beautiful but delicate, requiring ideal conditions in order to thrive. Without them, it dies.
  • [red]Web Of Trust Browser Add-On Blasted For Breaking User Trust[/red]
hxxp://www.forbes.com/sites/leemathews/2016/11 ... 26c406651f

"How serious a transgression is this? Serious enough that Mozilla has already removed the WOT browser add-on from their site saying that it violated their guidelines for transparency. Numerous WOT users have expressed their outrage on Reddit and commented on articles discussing the NDR findings.

Many feel violated and have uninstalled the WOT add-on from their browsers. Understandably, they’ve gone looking for alternatives. Many have turned to a similar tool called Traffic Light offered by BitDefender, a Romanian security firm."

Cheater87

Post by Cheater87 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:27 pm

When is WOT coming back? I am using the MCafee site rater atm. Don't like it as much but it is one of the few website rating service I found that I am comfortable with using.

Javelina

Post by Javelina » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:15 pm

Would WOT please say who owns and operates this company? Putting aside the issue of selling inadequately anonymized user data for the moment, I really need to know who runs WOT, in order to have any kind of comfort about using the add-on. This isn't an unreasonable request!

maquis44

Post by maquis44 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:20 pm

User since 2009. I am uninstalling the add-on and deleting my account after this post. WOT, in my opinion, is dishonest. Their explanations and remedies fall far short. They should have stated that they will not share or sell any information until they can guarantee your privacy. I am sorry they succumbed to greed.