To the WOT community

Dynamoo

RE: To the WOT community

Post by Dynamoo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:31 pm

More information from the Finnish media here - hxxp://www.kaleva.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/palkittua ... to/744645/ - the following is a poor translation which may include some inaccuracies:
Award-winning web service is suspected of leaking information - to the police for clarification

11.25.2016 20:11
Johanna Puukka

The Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman has asked the police to investigate the operations of the Web of Trust web service. [Technical description]

The service indicates a safe site with the green icon, a dangerous one with a red one. The data is produced by users of the service working together.

- The German Data Protection Authority announced that the service is suspected of transfer of users' personal data to external operators. Personal identification data is suspected of being insufficiently anonymized, says the Data Protection Ombudsman Reijo Aarnio to media.

The first hints of problems came from German media problems according to Aarnio.

Aarnio says that he came up to police to ask for clarification, because the Office of the Data Protection Ombudsman office administrative instruments were no longer sufficient.

- The company is in liquidation, and in the background the company name has changed. Our means to deal with this legal situation are insufficient, he adds.

Aarnio advises users to be careful with the operation.

[technical background]

Background Web of Trust was a Finnish security company WOT Services Ltd, which ended as at February 2016. The name was changed TOW Software Oy.

- The company in liquidation is shut down and no longer functioning, says Lawyer Law Firm Lindfors Antti Summa & Co Reviews.

This company did not comment on web service and its activities. WOT did not respond to media interview requests.

[background information]

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:29 pm

<quote user="javelina">
Would WOT please say who owns and operates this company? Putting aside the issue of selling inadequately anonymized user data for the moment, I really need to know who runs WOT, in order to have any kind of comfort about using the add-on. This isn't an unreasonable request!
[/quote]

Since no one wants to claim ownership I have decided to claim WoT under international salvage law.
In my first 100 days I will build a wall. We will no longer admit idiots, trolls, or Republicans within our borders / domain. Next we will appoint a special prosecutor to throw "Crooked WoT" in jail. . . feel free to chant this.
Next. . .

[red]BTW: Those that want to claim that the "international salvage law" does not apply here; all I can say, "it looks like a sunken ship to me." [/red]

Dynamoo

Post by Dynamoo » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:10 pm

<quote user="destinationtruth">
Since no one wants to claim ownership I have decided to claim WoT under international salvage law.>
[/quote]

The domain expires next August. It could be up for salvage in about ten months time..

Grumpy Old Git

Post by Grumpy Old Git » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:10 pm

The silence is deafening.I have used WOT since 2008,seen people come and go,myself included.But saying nothing will not cut it.It would be a shame if such a useful add on goes to the wall.

fusionneur

Post by fusionneur » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:15 pm

I would sue these guys...

Ivan Blue

Post by Ivan Blue » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:44 pm

Wait, can someone DM me the news article on this incident ? I want to see the full picture here.

sbi

Post by sbi » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:20 am

<quote user="maquis44">
User since 2009. I am uninstalling the add-on and deleting my account after this post. WOT, in my opinion, is dishonest. Their explanations and remedies fall far short. They should have stated that they will not share or sell any information until they can guarantee your privacy. I am sorry they succumbed to greed.
[/quote]

Were you able to delete your account. I tried to do so but I kept getting an error message about incorrect credentials but i was able to move about and make other changes to my MYWOT account??

Thanks

Lyle.S1234567

Post by Lyle.S1234567 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:48 pm

I just want to pitch in a couple of pennies worth here: WOT is a valuable service. A subscription model would never work. An advertising model would offend the user base. Only a data collection/sales model provides a viable method for funding the service. Understanding that AND the fact that our ISP's, web-site operators, and major network operators collect and sell our use data to offset costs makes it clear that without WOT there are already several ways to identify users and their on-line activities. I give a fig that WoT failed to hide PII data properly. I just want a place to download the product and install it on newly configured systems. That having been said, I have copied and installed current installs to new machines in the interrum, but it sure would be nice if WoT would offer a place to directly download their software.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:14 am

<quote user="lyle.s1234567">
I just want to pitch in a couple of pennies worth here: WOT is a valuable service. A subscription model would never work. An advertising model would offend the user base. Only a data collection/sales model provides a viable method for funding the service. Understanding that AND the fact that our ISP's, web-site operators, and major network operators collect and sell our use data to offset costs makes it clear that without WOT there are already several ways to identify users and their on-line activities. I give a fig that WoT failed to hide PII data properly. I just want a place to download the product and install it on newly configured systems. That having been said, I have copied and installed current installs to new machines in the interrum, but it sure would be nice if WoT would offer a place to directly download their software.
[/quote]

Previously, WOT had two major revenue streams:
Sales of access to the reputation data via bulk API access.
Sales of "trust seals" (discontinued).

Then there was an experiment that never took off for a "freemium" version of WOT - https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/45536-WOT-freemium

Personally, I do not have enough evidence to blame WOT for anything, but I do have plenty of evidence against a partner known as SimilarWeb for collecting a profile of the domains I visited, including some related to some sensitive personal issues, and posted some of those in the "Also visited websites" section, although today the report no longer contains any sensitive domains. If this is because of WOT data collection, it would make sense as I had blocked on my LAN the secure.mywot.com domain.

SylvioHaas

Post by SylvioHaas » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:21 am

How are you going to notify potential users that WOT returned to normality and can be downloaded again? Thank you.