Trusted source PhishTank reaches 4 million reports

spectre

RE: Trusted source PhishTank reaches 4 million reports

Post by spectre » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:33 am

NotBuyingIt has now verified 300,000 phishes.
Well done!

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Well done!

Thanks for the compliment!

Once again, I'd like to suggest that WOT users who are able to identify phishing webpages, may wish to help evaluate some of the incident reports submitted to PhishTank.com when they have time. Several exceptionally generous members and former members of the WOT users' community continue to be very helpful. (I find that I no longer have as much time as before to help out, so I am reducing my participation next year.)

Data that is stored in the cloud may become lost in the fog.

D̵eSi͠gn

Post by D̵eSi͠gn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:59 pm

As a note, once a site gets verified in PhishTank, it will not only be listed on the WOT scorecard, but also users of OpenDNS will find that these reported sites will be blocked too.

Need to remind that WOT has stopped receiving information about confirmed phishes in PhishTank for unknown reason. It is still not fixed, "of course". If WOT users will help to check phishes only in order to make other WOT users (who don't use OpenDNS) protected it will be now a waste of time.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:06 am

Need to remind that WOT has stopped receiving information about confirmed phishes in PhishTank for unknown reason. Of course it is still not fixed.
Unfortunately, we don't know whether it will every be fixed.

If WOT users will help to check phishes in order to make other WOT users (who don't use OpenDNS) protected it will be now a waste of time.
I've been able to provide WOT over a thousand additional ratings about phishing per year based upon my PhishTank evaluations. On many occasions, I and other WOT community members have provided "early warnings" ahead of WOT posting PhishTank cautions. During a few periods years ago, I was able to provide WOT hundreds of ratings per week about malware based upon data mining PhishTank incident reports (even though PhishTank doesn't intentionally collect malware reports). I don't think that we've wasted our time. Of course, as I cut back my participation with PhishTank, my early warnings will become fewer and fewer. I am hoping perhaps others here will volunteer to continue the work. I'm aware that community members who are active in the forums often are involved in other important efforts already.

The PhishTank database spurs scams to be more rapidly shut-down— and that's my overriding goal. It benefits WOT users and everybody else.

Data that is stored in the cloud may become lost in the fog.