User update from WOT

MyWOT-Team

User update from WOT

Post by MyWOT-Team » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:07 pm

Dear users,
We take our users’ privacy rights very seriously, and for that reason we go to great lengths to anonymize and aggregate the data we collect to run our service, and we of course never license or disclose user registration information.
If there have been instances where any information was not adequately anonymized and protected, we will of course look into it and, where necessary, take measures to ensure adequate protection for our users. We appreciate the users who have contacted us and brought this to our attention.
We will continue to proudly protect our users from countless online threats as we have for the past decade.

Semtex503

RE: User update from WOT

Post by Semtex503 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:16 pm

And this suppose to convince me to stay with Your extension?

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:32 pm

How come my browsing data ended up on similarweb.com? I'm not stupid, my utility company showed up under the people also browse section of my own domain. I'm sure I am only one of maybe a small handful of people in my area that access my domain.

You did not directly address the allegations, and you have stopped providing add-on source code for over a year.

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:34 pm

<quote user="semtex503">
And this suppose to convince me to stay with Your extension?
[/quote]

and did you truly expect any more of an answer at this time?
Have you deleted the add on.

Such issues be them true or not have great financial and legal ramifications. I would not look for a straight forward answer without some time passing, and legal counsel advising them on what to release / state.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:35 pm

I hope that hackers cannot copy your server logs.

Semtex503

Post by Semtex503 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:42 pm

<quote user="destinationtruth">
and did you truly expect any more of an answer at this time?
Have you deleted the add on.
[/quote]
Yes, since a bit of honestly is always better as this what we have here, I could reconsider to not remove the extension then. If they give us clear and honest answer. They don't use commercial, no P2U option, so I can understand reasons, but this must be clear said.

ATM extension is disabled.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:45 pm

Maybe someone could fork the last GPL version and have it transmit only the domain and the first-level directory (for Twitter ratings)?
P.S. If the current closed-source version contains contributed GPL third-party code legally WOT has to offer the source code

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:54 pm

<quote user="semtex503">
Yes, since a bit of honestly is always better as this what we have here, I could reconsider to not remove the extension then. If they give us clear and honest answer. They don't use commercial, no P2U option, so I can understand reasons, but this must be clear said.

ATM extension is disabled.
[/quote]

Of course honesty is better, but then you are now saying the only honest answer is admitting they did something wrong. . . even if they didn't or aware that it happened.

IT forensics are very good these days. . . time will give us the answer, and time will tell if WoT survives this matter.

Best course of action at this time in my opinion is to delete the add on, rate sites on WoT site, and wait.

mario692

Post by mario692 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:12 pm

It makes me wonder why you need to transfer the full URL in the first place. Just modify your addon so that only the domain name is transferred, problem solved. Your rating system doesn't even take anything but the domain name into account.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:21 pm

<quote user="mario692">
It makes me wonder why you need to transfer the full URL in the first place. Just modify your addon so that only the domain name is transferred, problem solved. Your rating system doesn't even take anything but the domain name into account.
[/quote]

Domain and first-level directory for Twitter though as it is a special case.