What antivirus do you have?

MysteryFCM

RE: My personal recommendations .........

Post by MysteryFCM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm well aware of what you meant, but as you mentioned cNet, I only replied regarding it.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:21 pm

That not true see your reading I have tested it. ok
It didnt do one thing wrong, in the actual court case that came out that it was harmless and was for there own data collecting.

Other company like trend micro and norton had the same problem and they were totally benign rootkits. Did you watch the video till the end? didn't think so or you would be apologizing. Or mabey YOU wouldn't.

There are plenty of benign rootkits that just collect data.

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:26 pm

The rootkit was not malicios! However it did open accidental security holes in the operating system. This is common when rootkits are not done properly. Any code that isn't done right can cause security hole.

so again sorry there Steven.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:26 pm

A rootkit that "just collects data" is spyware, and thus malicious (else it wouldn't need rootkit functionality).*

It wasn't malicious in the same sense as the likes of TDSS, but it was malicious.

/edit

* Just to clarify, if it's purely for data collection, that's only going to be stored on the users system, it doesn't require rootkit features or functionality (the fact it has this, means it's hiding it from the user, and this makes it spyware)

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:42 pm

OMG NO IT IS NOT! SPYWARE

You couldn't be more wrong. I thought you said you knew the definitions. FAIL ROFL

A rootkit can have spyware in it but it's still has root level access buddy! This makes it a rootkit. So because its collecting data thats means it no longer has root access??? lmao

A rootkit is software that enables continued privileged access to a computer while actively HIDING its presence from administrators by subverting standard operating system functionality or other applications. The term rootkit is a concatenation of "root" (the traditional name of the privileged account on Unix operating systems) and the word "kit" (which refers to the software components that implement the tool). The term "rootkit" has negative connotations through its association with malware.

Spyware is a type of malware that can be installed on computers, and which collects small pieces of information about users without their knowledge. The presence of spyware is typically hidden from the user, and can be difficult to detect. Typically, spyware is secretly installed on the user's personal computer. Sometimes, however, spywares such as keyloggers are installed by the owner of a shared, corporate, or public computer on purpose in order to secretly monitor other users.

Still ROFL

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:47 pm

1. Re-read what I wrote
2. Stop being insulting
3. Stop using profanity and insults in PMs (you've been told numerous times)

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:56 pm

ya it is as malicious as googles doucbleclick is!

RE: What antivirus do you have?

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:17 am

You know what I found out about ESET.
I could scan every computer on the network using one comp.
Keeping resources open on the others for the project they run.

Now I don't know about that capabilities to do so with other AV's, I just know my tossed to the side N360 couldn't.
Just another reason to smile today!

So now to do full scans I don't have to wait, just pick the comp not busy and have it do deep scan of all comps on network, just too cool.

Osd3001

Post by Osd3001 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:28 am

I use MSE malwarebytes anti-malware and ccleaner so im safe already and with MYWOT im safer

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:35 am

Kind of funny really, because of MyWot i'm less safe.
I'ld say very rarely would I've visited a dangerous site. Now I go head first looking for them. ~smiles~