What antivirus do you have?

RE: What antivirus do you have?

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:30 am

I enjoy no one answer. I may be still learning network but I believe I have a strong knowledge in adware,spyware,trojans,rootkits,logic bombs and other types of viral code.

I don't think that we are here to enjoy a thread or i am getting wrong?
Yes you are still learning and have a very small amount of knowledge which is the only reason bcoz you are giving lectures to masters and trying to prove yourself other than that nobody is perfect in this world .

lets start at osi layer 2-3 Network, and data link.

Do i have read wrong bcoz according to me In a OSI layer model data link layer is on second place and network layer is on 3 place or isn't it?

My main computer also has comodo soft firewall installed.

And you say this security software best than any other?
Learn from here what peoples are using most of them are well known and far as i know anyone here wouldn't recommend such(Comodo) security software.

Don't take my comments abrasive these are friendly tips.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:31 am

Hello jenny, when I double- clicked the image in order to enhance the view. I got a pop- up, telling me I have won some price

IP Location: United States Maineville Beyond Hosting Llc ASN: AS30152 IP Address: 8.29.133.136 Reverse IP: 1 website uses this address. (example: cpadominator.com)

Could you check if and see if you get the same result?

Thank you!

RE: My personal recommendations .........

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:14 am

@ justfixwindows

No! then what is the whole point then? Is it to actually debate areas that you feel is wrongly interpreted OR, as I see, as an outsider looking in, to show your immense knowledge and understanding which surpasses qualified, highly skilled persons working in this field such as MysteryFCM and gives you the right to belittle them in public?

I recall (from another thread) that YOU ARE still in training justfixwindows. Perhaps it is time you spent more time listening to your tutors than shooring your mouth off here. God help those who come to your for assistance as I question the reliability of your advice and help. Not a good thought considering you are working to become a professional in that area.

EDIT: Just realised you have been banned from WOT and quite right too IMO. When you learn to cut the attitude and get rid of the chip on your shoulder, maybe WOT will allow you back in. Can't see that happening any time soon.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:18 am

I had the same thoughts too, some time back.

Such is the downside when you make efforts to help protect others.

RE: My personal recommendations .........

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:49 am

Echo @IssViews
100% Agree !

I reported some account as they suspected to me 2 accounts out of which got banned..

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:34 am

Actually no, I didn't. Perhaps I wasn't clear, I said the collection of data was spyware, I never once said the rootkit itself is spyware.

/edit

As for your being banned btw, that was due to your constant use of profanity and insults, contrary to forum rules, despite being reminded of such and asked to cease.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:51 am

Detecting a legit file is a case of an F/P, these happen occasionally. It wasn't a rootkit that was actually being detected, it was a file, nothing more nothing less.

/edit

To be clear, you asserted there were "legit rootkits" or "non malicious rootkits", and this simply wasn't the case. The video didn't show it to be the case - it showed F/Ps where drivers were being detected as rootkits.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:10 am

A file with root level access is still just a file. Drivers for example, have root level access, but they're not rootkits.

As for running rootkit tools, I couldn't agree more, just as I recommend running MBR utils to check for MBR infections.

As for realtime rootkit detection, RTRD can stop the rootkit getting into the system in the first place, if the detection and protection is written properly, so is very important.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:12 am

Just because it's a driver, doesn't mean it'll be detected. Detections are based on a number of factors, inclusive of strings in the code, behaviour of the file. Without analysing exactly why it was detecting it, there's no way of knowing which part of the file caused it.

As for why Norton has drivers, you'll find the vast majority of AVs (and indeed, most other security software such as firewalls) have them.

MysteryFCM

Post by MysteryFCM » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:28 am

Drivers aren't just for hardware, never have been. As for why they have them, it's exactly for the purpose of providing root access to the file system and network layers.

Not incorrect terminology - that's what they are.