What Browsers Use The Least and Most RAM Memory?

Satchman

What Browsers Use The Least and Most RAM Memory?

Post by Satchman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:35 am

Dear WOT,

Over the years, I have never gotten an objective answer to this question. The company that makes the browser seemingly only talks about how great their browser is compared to the others. For this answer, assume that the user has no addition plug ins, add-ons, or extensions:

We have among the contenders, at least for Windows Operating Systems:

Internet Explorer
Microsoft Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Google Chrome
Mozilla Firefox

Among your community testing, what browser eats the least and most RAM with no add-ons or plug ins installed?

Satch

Site-rater

RE: What Browsers Use The Least and Most RAM Memory?

Post by Site-rater » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:26 am

Is this tests for top-tier browsers only, or should we consider other browsers such as Opera, Maxthon, Pale Moon, etc.?

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:57 am

Is this tests for top-tier browsers only, or should we consider other browsers such as Opera, Maxthon, Pale Moon, etc.?

That can be up to the community to decide. I will be interested in these results!

Satch

Apollo702

Post by Apollo702 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:05 pm

The qualified answer naturally is PaleMoon. Breaking it down on why is complicated.

Perhaps the biggest issue when people people attempt to quantify browser speed is there are many metrics and tests that measure one thing. "Browser speed" could be measured by endless categories such as startup time, page load time and any combination of tangible or perceived differences. Therefore, there is no one single test to run that will completely settle the matter.

Now, having set that up it is time to break some myths. PM is a fork of
Failfox that in many ways is now branching out on it's own. For a long time it was much like it's parent browser with all of the latest security- but with a few minor things added and a whole lot of stupidity stripped out. Know that after late 2010 they started bloating up FF like Porky Pig. Therefore, as downloaded PM is lighter weight- and the difference is growing over time. Lettuce make this a big point of emphasis. Some browsers simply are heavier than others.

Next, one point of the original question needs to be shattered. In many cases adding extensions can vastly lighten a browser. How?

Programs can have millions of lines of code. Most extensions may be just a few KB of data. Therefore, even a loaded up PM like mine( that always runs an average of 125 extensions) is going to run lightly and crisply. It sounds counterintuitive, but a browser loaded with extensions can potentially run MASSIVELY LIGHTER than a bare as-downloaded version.

Now, lettuce add in an even bigger way this happens. One of the key reasons for many of those extensions is to maximize privacy/security. That means a heavy reliance on extensions such as NoScript, Request Policy, Cookie Whitelist With Buttons... and many others to block all kinds of things such as scripts, XSS, cookies... and then only selectively turn them back on after it has been confirmed that they are safe. Pages may first appear stripped down and then the YOU as the user get to decide what your page experience will be.

Then one of the benefits of this that every page runs vastly lighter. Just disabling stinky old
Flash alone saves about 25% on memory alone. Now strip out all those flashing ads, autostarting video... and the savings just in bandwidth and system resources alone are freakin' HUGE.

Then lastly, it is time to reemphasize a point that I was going to create as a split post before writing this: Any browser that splits tabs into their own process is going to become HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY! The privacy/security gains are overrated and oversold- and the weight remains. Nobody under the age of 70 surfs in single windows anymore. People use multiple tabs.

So, to sum it up: In order to save on resources you want a browser that:

*Downloads lightly.

*Can add a ton of extensions in order to lighten the page loads.

*And does NOT split tabs into their own process.

That browser is PM.

Josh Emett

The best browser

Post by Josh Emett » Wed May 23, 2018 7:12 pm

What browser do you use? What is the fastest for work?

Fred Nurk

Re: What Browsers Use The Least and Most RAM Memory?

Post by Fred Nurk » Thu May 24, 2018 5:18 am

For me, IE isn't any sort of option - dreadfully slow to start, and load pages - I only ever use it as a test if I appear to be having an issue with another browser, just to find out whether it's the site or the browser that's at fault. Last-case scenario at best.

Firefox is good, but uses a lot of of RAM (on my machine at least), and runs reasonably slowly. Used it until Chrome came along, still use it occasionally, but not often.

Chrome runs quickest for me - as a bonus, it opens a process for each tab, so if one particular tab / site is giving you grief, you can simply go into Task Manager, find which one's using the most RAM or CPU, and kill it without disturbing the rest of your session. On the negative side, individual tabs can overload and crash (usually with an "Oops!" message), requiring re-loading.