What is ads.js?

0utfl0ws

What is ads.js?

Post by 0utfl0ws » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:04 pm

I've been using WOT forever, and I am also a web developer.

Just today I noticed that in the developer console an object is getting logged from 'ads.js' - which I discovered is a script from WOT.

Just briefly looking at the object it appears to be some sort of analytics gathering resource, and there are terms in the file (not to mention the name of the file itself) that suggest it is related to advertising, but, and I stress this - I haven't really dug into it.

Can anyone - preferably the developer who included that file - tell me what this is?

mhamstra

RE: What is ads.js?

Post by mhamstra » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:38 pm

I also noticed this today (and have published it here if anyone wants to take a peek https://gist.github.com/Mark-H/a8ca1e743debad0b688e) and am very worried about this. From reading the source it looks like it wants to insert ads into the page (specifically, sliding in from the right and expanding it on hover), though it is not yet doing that luckily. The code also mentions an opt out feature.

Very trustworthy, this Web of Trust..?

jvalero

Post by jvalero » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:34 pm

Same. Also a Web Developer and as much time I spend in the dev console, this had to of happened sometime over the last few days. Today was the first time I noticed it, it was not showing up middle of last week. A word of advice to WOT, if injecting ads into pages is your new business model get ready for a rude awakening. I'm hoping this is a misunderstanding though.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:33 am

Hello
perhaps this can help
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/9830-tes ... dvertising

I think you didn't get an answer because the right place to post such requests is
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/2

This thread should be moved

Sami

Post by Sami » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:54 am

Good morning guys,

This script in the Chrome add-on is part of an experiment we are running on a small subset of users where the add-on recommends you trustworthy (based on user ratings, as usual) alternatives if the website you are visiting matches certain criteria. These are not exactly ads, and they are shown in a small notification window, so I guess the naming in the source code is a bit misleading.

And no, we have no intention of injecting ads to pages, so no need to panic, we are simply testing if this is something our less active users would find useful. These are not shown to active users and if it looks like those who see them don't find them useful, the feature will never see the light of day in larger scale.

Also, if some of you didn't know, our add-ons are open source and you can read the source code from our Github. Specifically, this file can be found from the Chrome add-on's content scripts. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:38 am

@Sami =
Thanks
[cite]And no, we have no intention of injecting ads to pages[/cite]
But as crazy as this may sound , coming from me I don't see a problem with advertisements or adds , if there is full disclosure , opt in and the site is trusted by the majority of WOT The problems with other add on is that , they are never transparent and lose all credibility or trust
[cite]Testing the scorecard banner for third-party advertising [/cite]
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/9830-tes ... dvertising
May not be needed right away , but as WOT grows it could be another tool to bring in new revenues, w/o losing our integrity, I have no problems with free market or Capitalism, I cannot imagine a better arrangement
My problem is with the abuses and lies, and that can come from any economic system
Is not my intention to resurrect that thread , but to opine about it , now that I became aware of it as in that particular time , I did not participate , for whatever reason unknown to me at present
Best regards

Tuan Jinn Nguyen

Post by Tuan Jinn Nguyen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:08 pm

I just notice it today too, I just can't believe it. WOT for whatever reason shouldn't have done it without announcement.

nomaed

Post by nomaed » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:40 pm

<quote user="sami">
Good morning guys,

This script in the Chrome add-on is part of an experiment we are running on a small subset of users where the add-on recommends you trustworthy (based on user ratings, as usual) alternatives if the website you are visiting matches certain criteria. These are not exactly ads, and they are shown in a small notification window, so I guess the naming in the source code is a bit misleading.

And no, we have no intention of injecting ads to pages, so no need to panic, we are simply testing if this is something our less active users would find useful. These are not shown to active users and if it looks like those who see them don't find them useful, the feature will never see the light of day in larger scale.

Also, if some of you didn't know, our add-ons are open source and you can read the source code from our Github. Specifically, this file can be found from the Chrome add-on's content scripts. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them.
[/quote]

Thank you for the explanation.

However, as another Web Developer here, it's an extreme nuisance seeing all these console log messages, when trying to debug my code.
Is it possible to disable ads.js logging, or do I have to keep disabling the WOT extension?

donsorg

Post by donsorg » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:58 pm

<quote user="nomaed">
Thank you for the explanation.

However, as another Web Developer here, it's an extreme nuisance seeing all these console log messages, when trying to debug my code.
Is it possible to disable ads.js logging, or do I have to keep disabling the WOT extension?
[/quote]

new version will be available today, without this debug output.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:17 pm

<quote user="sami">This script in the Chrome add-on is part of an experiment we are running on a small subset of users where the add-on recommends you trustworthy (based on user ratings, as usual) alternatives if the website you are visiting matches certain criteria. [/quote]
So, suffice it to say, this experimental add-on appears to be extending the website 'similar sites' feature which should be optional and not pushed upon users in a toolbar.

I can't speak for other people but I visit a site for a reason and have no interest in similar sites being displayed at any time. If I want to see these, I can google for the results therefore my opinion of 'Similar sites' and your experimental add-on is held in the same light as adverts and adware, invasive and PUPs.

I for one, will remove the WOT addon if this experimental add-on becomes a permenant fixture bundled in all future updates unless it can disabled. In that latter case, this option should be down to the user whether they want to allow similar sites and not set as on within the default settings.