Whats your favoriter software firewall?

Whats your favoriter software firewall?

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:08 pm

what do you think about comodo offering a $500 repair warranty?

What you think about zone alarm?

MysteryFCM

RE: Whats your favoriter software firewall?

Post by MysteryFCM » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:26 pm

Comodo can't be trusted, and ZoneAlarm has went downhill for years.

Echo

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:43 pm

<quote user="mysteryfcm">
Comodo can't be trusted, and ZoneAlarm has went downhill for years.
[/quote]

Agree 100% with the entire sentence.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:43 pm

They get the same amount of trust as a politician knocking on my door saying 'Vote for me, your trust will be...' Slam goes the door.

Qbird0

Post by Qbird0 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:47 pm

I find linux the answer haha no really I just use my router!

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:09 pm

<quote user="qbird0">
I find linux the answer haha no really I just use my router!
[/quote]

Actually, there IS a Linux software firewall, but it has to be manipulated via the CLI and is not necessarily as user friendly as some Windows GUI firewalls.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:17 am

No on ZoneAlarm, and definitely not the Comode.

On Windows, I recommend the firewall included in the Kaspersky Internet Security suite. If you have to use freeware, get Online Armor here:
http://www.online-armor.com/

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:05 am

<quote user="myxt">
No on ZoneAlarm, and definitely not the Comode.

On Windows, I recommend the firewall included in the Kaspersky Internet Security suite. If you have to use freeware, get Online Armor here:
http://www.online-armor.com/
[/quote]

When I was a Windows kinda' guy, I finally settled on Online Armor after trying a lot of others. For my system, it worked and played well with all my other security components, and I was comfortable with the GUI and the job it was doing. I liked it, but YMMV.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:55 am

A $500 repair warranty?

My computer cost more than that... and I'm not yet counting the installed software and intellectual property.

By the way: $500 repair warranty. What do they want to repair if their firewall failed and someone stole all my data? My computer might get depressed by that but it sure won't break apart. ~shakes head smiling~

As for a good firewall, it depends on what you're looking for and what you want to protect in the end. Guessing you're talking client computers running a Windows operating system: the on-board firewall of Windows 7 with some solid ipsec rules tends to be solid enough. But it's not safe by nature (after install). Like any other firewall, you'll need to configure it according to your preferences.

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:20 am

I have never liked Comodo, mainly because it is such a hassle to set up properly and it keeps asking permissions even for installing known software from a disc on the local machine.

ZoneAlarm used to be an excellent firewall for Windows but it has gone downhill in recent times, mainly because it has become bloated, and their inclusion of the toolbar is not at all to my liking. However, I have noticed that one favourable unintended consequence of installing ZoneAlarm on a Windows machine is that the Windows Security Centre recognises that ZoneAlarm has been installed even after ZoneAlarm has been uninstalled. So a Windows user can install ZoneAlarm, and then uninstall it and install a better firewall, and Windows continues to think that ZoneAlarm is installed, so if anyone gets past the router firewall then they might be misled into thinking that they are up against ZoneAlarm when they are not, which could possibly confuse the hell out of any less-sophisticated hacking bots.

For Linux my preferred firewalls, at present, are the [url=http://www.smoothwall.org t=_self]SmoothWall Express[/url] or [url=http://www.fs-security.com t=_self]Firestarter[/url] but there are several other Linux firewalls available depending on the flavour of Linux being used.