Why are the rank indicators gone in the forum?

Ответить
Warxas

Why are the rank indicators gone in the forum?

Сообщение Warxas » Вс дек 12, 2010 8:00 pm

Beside each person's name in the forum, it would say Rookie/Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum, what happened to that?

I suppose it doesn't matter much, but I kind of liked it. :)

Re

Сообщение Guest » Вс дек 12, 2010 8:12 pm

Hi Warxas
the user name titles have been disabled only in the forum for some reasons some days ago.
Now I cannot find the thread where the Staff of WOT explained why, I'm sorry

Warxas

ok

Сообщение Warxas » Вс дек 12, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks, I just noticed now. If it was disabled days ago, I guess that means it wasn't that big of a "feature" then. :)

Nothing to do with popularity of the feature

Сообщение Guest » Пн дек 13, 2010 6:25 pm

@ Warxas,

As the link that DT shows explains, it didn't have anything to do with whether or not it was "that big a feature"

The WOT staff decided that it afforded some the misconception that activity level equated to authority on how WOT works, and thus removed it from view on the posts for that reason.

That was in fact happening . . . especially with novices and site owners. They were considering that if members were shown to be of a high activity level, they "must" be authoritative and "must" know a lot about WOT.

Since that is, as I'm sure you may know, not necessarily true and the display of activity level was potentially misleading to these people, it was removed.

Indeed, there are several examples, which I think are linked to in that thread, of Platinum members giving out incorrect information on how WOT works and novices and site owners taking that as "gospel" simply because a "Platinum" member said so.

As I think I've said before, a member's expertise can be better judged by drawing conclusions on the quality of their posts rather than the quantity (activity level).

For example, there are some Bronze members who know much more about how WOT works than some Platinum members do, so judging a member's credibility by glancing at a level indicator in a post can be very misleading, and HAS been.

Warxas

Yes,

Сообщение Warxas » Пн дек 13, 2010 8:33 pm

Someone else PMed me the link yesterday, so I forgot to check back at this thread.
I think that it is good that it is gone, since like you said [cite] Bronze members who know much more about how WOT works than some Platinum [/cite]

I just meant that it wasn't that big of a feature, because I didn't even notice that it was gone until yesterday. I guess, even 'small' features can make a BIG difference.

Ответить