Why Would Anyone Legitimately Want This Device?

Satchman

Why Would Anyone Legitimately Want This Device?

Post by Satchman » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:23 pm

Dear WOT,

This is a major concern. A USB killer that is available online that can fry computers? This product sounds terrible! Never ever plug unknown Flash drives or USB drive sticks into a computer!

hxxps://www.yahoo.com/tech/now-buy-computer-frying-usb-174911053.html

What are some proper and legitimate ways to test surge protectors? Who should people contact if they have been the victim of a bad USB device that fries their computers or data?

Satch

RE: Why Would Anyone Legitimately Want This Device?

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi. Honestly I do not understand how sending 220 V to usb controller can help in testing computers? I do not understand why someone should have created this device for such a "test". Is not that enough just to make a USB-to-ACPlug cord rather than buying this strange device? This was created only with malicious intent. Design of this device speaks for itself. Pretending to be like usb flash but bomb. Cruel joke.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 pm

<quote user="felix luna">
Hi. Honestly I do not understand how sending 220 V to usb controller can help in testing computers? I do not understand why someone should have created this device for such a "test". Is not that enough just to make a USB-to-ACPlug cord rather than buying this strange device? This was created only with malicious intent. Design of this device speaks for itself. Pretending to be like usb flash but bomb. Cruel joke.
[/quote]

Must be why they use hidden WHOIS and CloudFlare. DomainTools report for usbkill.com still has a cached IP 104.236.202.113 hosted by Digital Ocean, so if the sale of this device violates their anti-abuse policies, we know the correct abuse department to contact, though the CloudFlare proxying may still throw off the abuse investigation.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:53 pm

I hope is that it is joke. Otherwise if this bomb is really available on market we really need USB test devices or multimeters with usb that can help us to avoid possible acts of usb terrorism. I would not call it otherwise. This will be used only for terrorism. That kind of devices should be considered highly dangerous and illegal.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:38 pm

Sorry to bump, but unfortunately this device is real, and it is actually on the market.
USBKill.com now advertises an "anonymous" version that is built in a case to look like an ordinary flash drive, and suggests it is useful to "pen testers and police / government services". Doesn't seem like the kind of people that should be using vandalism devices.
According to hxxps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnKuh5S-wnGzeYkXx-PJVBQ/about they appear to be from Hong Kong.

Saw this in their TOS:
We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a distributed denial-of-service attack, viruses or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of this Website or to your downloading of any material posted on it, or on any website linked to it.
Wonder if it means they don't care if their website gets hacked?

WOTRocks223

Post by WOTRocks223 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:13 am

<quote user="site-rater">
Sorry to bump, but unfortunately this device is real, and it is actually on the market.
USBKill.com now advertises an "anonymous" version that is built in a case to look like an ordinary flash drive, and suggests it is useful to "pen testers and police / government services". Doesn't seem like the kind of people that should be using vandalism devices.
According to hxxps://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnKuh5S-wnGzeYkXx-PJVBQ/about they appear to be from Hong Kong.

Saw this in their TOS:

Wonder if it means they don't care if their website gets hacked?
[/quote]

Actually real?? Whoever made this is pretty much some sort of sketchy crook selling illegal and highly dangerous USKs to people to infect their computers, steal information, and potentially kidnap people (who knows what kind of phishing-like capabilities the USKs have).
I call the dangerous USBs "USKs", which stands for Universal Serial Killers.