Wikipedia "was" completely rewritten to say WOT doesn't exist anymore

redblade7

Wikipedia "was" completely rewritten to say WOT doesn't exist anymore

Post by redblade7 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:54 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WOT_Services

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=WOT_Services&diff=prev&oldid=781833618

MyWOT/WOT (Web of Trust) was a browser add-on and web site. After being found to have breached the privacy rules and guidelines set by several browsers, the browser add-on was removed from distribution November 2016. Before its removal, WOT secretly collected and disseminated personal information about its users. Ironically, WOT billed itself as a trustworthy website reputation and review service and purported to provide crowdsourced reviews and other data regarding whether web sites other than itself were trustworthy in respecting user privacy and security. The ratings were presented primarily through WOT's browser add-in. WOT aggregated crowdsourced website reputation information and personal user details and sold or licensed this information to other unidentified businesses and entities.

Users were encouraged to download the browser add-on that automatically tracked the users browsing while also checking the reputation rating of every website visited. Users could also search a website's reputation on the WOT website. A search feature allowed users to do a search regarding the reputation and safety of any web address by typing the address into a search bar on the WOT website. Each web address was rated and assigned a score under two separate metrics – trustworthiness and child safety. User reviews were also presented underneath the scorecard for each website, expressing each user's own reason(s) for trusting or not trusting a given site. Website owners were also presented with the opportunity to claim their site, which gave them the opportunity to communicate with their website's users. Site owners could request a review of their site's reputation score or add a custom description of their site to the scorecard. Although it was engaged in a systematic massive invasion into the privacy of its users, WOT consistently rated its own site as trustworthy.

I'm not doing anything about it. To quote myself on my WOT review of wikipedia.org, "When dealing with Wikipedia, you will never win."

Site-rater

RE: Wikipedia "was" completely rewritten to say WOT doesn't exis

Post by Site-rater » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:10 am

That is a pretty good case of vandalism. I was about to hit the "undo" button to but decided against walking into a fight there.
Especially considering the edit was totally wrong and potentially motivated by revenge.
It would not be too much of a stretch to suspect the user may be attempting to bait whoever would try to fix it.

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi WOT,

Could this deception by Wikipedia be reported? Anyone can edit Wikipedia, and that is why you have to take anything on there with a grain of salt.

Satch

redblade7

Post by redblade7 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:48 pm

I just reverted the changes and left a nasty note on the editor's page. Consider yourself lucky, I'm not dealing with Wikipedia BS any further.

redblade7

Post by redblade7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:07 am

Someone else restored the whole thing with "Restoring sourced content". I reverted it back, again I'm asking for sources claiming WOT Services is cancelling their projects and going out of business, and left the following message on the talk page:

Massive vandalism by users claiming WOT Services went out of business

The message boards are active, the company has submitted new versions of the addon, and the scorecards are being redesigned. The company has not shut down, repeatedly publishing such things could be libelous

redblade7

Post by redblade7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:56 pm

There was another edit overnight where a user barely changed the lead but added "was" throughout the article. Reverted and reported on the Talk page.

Is there any way we can get proof from whatever equivalent of US states' Departments of Commerce where WOT services is listed as a live company? There certainly are no blog posts or press releases the vandals can cite that WOT is going out of business.

redblade7

Post by redblade7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:59 pm

This vandalism is apparently an organized effort by a group of people as, with one exception, the users responsible seem to have accounts going back 10 years or more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ScrapIronIV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Andy_Dingley

redblade7

Post by redblade7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:01 pm

The Wikipedia contact page says:

if it's clear vandalism and you can't fix it, please email info-en-v@wikimedia.org and include the address or title of the article and a description of the issue.

redblade7

Post by redblade7 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:10 pm

I have been threatened with a Wikipedia ban as three editors repeatedly restore part or all of the vandalism. I ask that you come along and stand up for me and WOT against the three users reponsible for this. Freenode #wikipedia is refusing to help and claiming I am the guilty one. I have already sent an email.

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Though very admirable redblade7, I think this battle belongs to admin and not members. They need to correct, they need to stand up, and if they don't care enough to do so; then why should you worry about this issue.