WOT freemium

Cyanide89

RE: WOT freemium

Post by Cyanide89 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:58 pm

This is ridiculous! While this freemium change has not affected me personally, it will affect my family and parents. I always recommend WOT to my friends and family and make sure to install this addon to their browser to make their experience easier. They are not at all tech savvy and wouldn't know the last thing about rating sites or which sites are safe, but they do rely on that tiny green circle to know when they are. The fact that you take the most simple feature away from those people is sad. Now I will have to find an alternative extension to assist my family and you've lost yourselves several users.

Jeff.Beresford

Post by Jeff.Beresford » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:05 pm

So you get the public to help build a huge database of good and bad websites, then start charging them for it. Nice. I'm out.

evilfantasy

Post by evilfantasy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:11 pm

Any other website would already have a red WOT rating for doing something like this...

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:47 pm

This experiment may lead to quite a few regulars abandoning WOT due to ethics and feeling used. Also I do not believe this will encourage new members either. You will be hoping they rate but taking money off them too! Doesn't sit well wtih me I am afraid.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:48 pm

Give your service away for free, possibly ad supported but maybe not, acquire a lot of customers very efficiently through word of mouth, referral networks, organic search marketing, etc., then offer premium priced value added services or an enhanced version of your service to your customer base.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemium
@Timo =
I am sorry that you never responded, I am sorry that you will go in a direction that always backfire
Best regards !

DSMTurboAWD

Post by DSMTurboAWD » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:56 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
If you read the OP notice that either a payment OR contribute.
Tell your users to offer ratings for the sites they use most.
Especially those sites which are local: community / government / etc.
If they belong to a church that has a site, rate it.
If your grocery store has a site, rate it.
Scout troop, library, school, bank, etc., etc.
You can rate ~ 20 domains in no time, earning the required activity level to have WOT freemium turned "off"

Understand, WOT is community-driven and relies upon your input as well as others.
Do not always rely upon "my" ratings, or ratings made by other highly active users; I (we) are not always correct, humans can (and do) make mistakes.
[/quote]

I agree with you, and understand the concept. However, while in some cases this will be fine. I think if people like my Grandmother who may 'rate' sites with little to no realistic competency. That is not to say, my grandmother is incompetent, but when it comes to understanding the nuances of safe internet usage, I would not want to rely on her opinion. There is a potential here for a bunch of unknowing internet users to start flooding the WOT database with positive rating for "EnterYourSocialHere{.com}" because they had such great customer service. You and I would be aware enough to know that sites like those are not safe, but the self-perpetuating machine could cause issues.

That being said, I will likely take your advice and begin instructing my users to rate their local websites that they frequent to help build a fuller database for the WOT users looking at smaller, less known sites.

donsorg

Post by donsorg » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:15 pm

<quote user="dsmturboawd">
That being said, I will likely take your advice and begin instructing my users to rate their local websites that they frequent to help build a fuller database for the WOT users looking at smaller, less known sites.
[/quote]

Please note that this is a very limited experiment and the after-payment-page explains the matter and offers instant refund with keeping WOT features unlocked.

Additionally, any new user who just installed the WOT is not the part of the experiment.

One of the results is already clear: most of people don't like the unexpected change of the feature availability.

Kitzey

Post by Kitzey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:21 pm

If this is how WOT treats people who have promoted them for years...Its disgraceful. If you wanted to sell the program for profit you should have started out that way. Now because I dont post here but DO promote you constantly on ALL of the social sites...because I have nothing better to do all day due to illness. I am really disappointed and embarassed at this point that I did recommend WOT to everyone. Not a smart PR move at all. Just because I dont post here doesnt mean I dont participate...I wont be promoting your program anymore though unless you remove this foolishness. You will lose more than a handful of clients if this happens...word is out (not by me) and people are not happy. Its always the almight buck...why cant people just help each other without expecting something in return...I'll wait to see if its removed and if its not because in your statement you said I have CONTRIBUTED ZERO then you wont mind the few thousand people out of the 5 thousand friends I have on FaceBook (and thats just friends on facebook) leaving with me. If its still not removed I will shoot over to twitter and every social media site I belong to (I'm a cancer patient so I have time on my hands) and UN-promote you.....and let everyone know your just like Zynga and the likes....you just want the buck...This is THE WORST PR move you guys have made....and I really thought so highly of you for so long...and because I promote you in social media and not here you punish me?....so much for loyalty....shame on you...

Kitzey

Post by Kitzey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:27 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
If you read the OP notice that either a payment OR contribute.
Tell your users to offer ratings for the sites they use most.
Especially those sites which are local: community / government / etc.
If they belong to a church that has a site, rate it.
If your grocery store has a site, rate it.
Scout troop, library, school, bank, etc., etc.
You can rate ~ 20 domains in no time, earning the required activity level to have WOT freemium turned "off"

Understand, WOT is community-driven and relies upon your input as well as others.
Do not always rely upon "my" ratings, or ratings made by other highly active users; I (we) are not always correct, humans can (and do) make mistakes.
[/quote]

I got no "OR", I got a link to go to my paypal account! I did not see the word donation anyplace....

Timo

Post by Timo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:32 pm

We implemented this test to learn about it and surely we have already learned a lot. The test is currently limited to 5000 people out of millions of Chrome users. It's still a lot but it's needed to get enough data.

Its unfortunately that some of you are in test group and feel betrayed. If you want to be excluded from the test and don't want to rate or pay then send us freedback at http://www.mywot.com/support/feedback and we will remove you from the test.

Just to be sure we haven't made any decisions about freemium and we will listen to you all.