WOT freemium

c۞g

RE: WOT freemium

Post by c۞g » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:39 pm

<quote user="dsmturboawd">
I agree with you, and understand the concept. However, while in some cases this will be fine. I think if people like my Grandmother who may 'rate' sites with little to no realistic competency. That is not to say, my grandmother is incompetent, but when it comes to understanding the nuances of safe internet usage, I would not want to rely on her opinion. There is a potential here for a bunch of unknowing internet users to start flooding the WOT database with positive rating for "EnterYourSocialHere{.com}" because they had such great customer service. You and I would be aware enough to know that sites like those are not safe, but the self-perpetuating machine could cause issues.

That being said, I will likely take your advice and begin instructing my users to rate their local websites that they frequent to help build a fuller database for the WOT users looking at smaller, less known sites.
[/quote]
First off...
I have a couple of grandchildren. :)

Unfortunately, I cannot "see" the testing of this freeium service, would be nice to see a few screen captures - I dislike the term, it reminds me of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware t=_self]ransomware[/url]
Ransomware is a class of malware which restricts access to the computer system that it infects, and demands a ransom paid to the creator of the malware in order for the restriction to be removed.
Evilfantasy hit the nail on the head.
If archive.org suddenly, without notice, required a payment of one (dollar, euro, etc.) to view the archives of hXXp://example.com many users would rate it red quickly.

But I understand WOT's desire to have more of it's user-base become involved with the system they are using. Currently there are over 115 million downloads, if everyone had 2 downloads for 2 different browser that's still over 62 million. Though there are several registered users, most of whom remain "silent" within these forums, the majority of WOT users simply use the add-on as an anti-virus "helper" The problem there is that WOT loads the site while it checks the reputation. If the site introduces a Trojan, the user is infected, even if they see a warning page (an overlay of the site's landing page). What WOT can do is inform others whether a non-malicious site is trustworthy and that information can only come from other people. I do not have a Facebook account - can not register my user name :) But everywhere I see: "like us on FB" see it promoted on the TV newsroom, hear it on the local radio station, even see it on the back of vehicles branded with some company logo. No one (myself excluded) complains about FB "likes" So what's wrong with people "liking their favorite websites"? Surely they must trust them to visit them regularly.

It's a shame this is not a beta.mywot.com/test where we all could investigate and offer proper feedback.
IMO, WOT should use a simple thumbs up/down mechanism for "WOT-lite users" rather than threaten to charge for service. Back when WOT discussed various methods to monetize, discarding the idea of ad-supported and disallowing advertisements from being incorporated into these forums, the community was ensured by the developers that WOT is and shall always remain free though they did not state that ffree came with limitations / restrictions.

Kitzey

Post by Kitzey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:47 pm

<quote user="donsorg">
Please note that this is a very limited experiment and the after-payment-page explains the matter and offers instant refund with keeping WOT features unlocked.

Additionally, any new user who just installed the WOT is not the part of the experiment.

One of the results is already clear: most of people don't like the unexpected change of the feature availability.
[/quote]

So I promote you for years....I get punished but anyone new does not...really?

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:50 pm

One of the results is already clear: most of people don't like the unexpected change of the feature availability.
Would anyone like it?
One day, and without announcement, they change features :/
How much will this damage the trust of WOT is yet to be seen
There is no longer communication between staff and members and issues from the past, are still in the memories of many members if you are right or wrong, time will tell
But think or better yet ask the members if they trust WOT, more now or less,after this unexpected change
By the way you have not told me yet, how to opt out, from the hash beta , as I went there to see by myself what took place and now I cannot delete from beta
I would appreciate , you telling all of us of how to get out from that mess
Thank you
Edit -

DSMTurboAWD

Post by DSMTurboAWD » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:52 pm

<quote user="timo">
We implemented this test to learn about it and surely we have already learned a lot. The test is currently limited to 5000 people out of millions of Chrome users. It's still a lot but it's needed to get enough data.

Its unfortunately that some of you are in test group and feel betrayed. If you want to be excluded from the test and don't want to rate or pay then send us freedback at http://www.mywot.com/support/feedback and we will remove you from the test.

Just to be sure we haven't made any decisions about freemium and we will listen to you all.
[/quote]

I honestly do not mind being in the test group. I will tell you though how shocking it was to open my Chrome to the change this morning. I understand that services, not matter what their function, need funding of some sort of financial source. I think in this case, I would provide the feedback of: Make the changes more overt, like an extra tab like you folk typically do where it would say: "WOT recently updated and this is what you need to know! (pay model/donations or provide feedback, etc)

<quote user=donsorg>
Please note that this is a very limited experiment and the after-payment-page explains the matter and offers instant refund with keeping WOT features unlocked.

Additionally, any new user who just installed the WOT is not the part of the experiment.

[/quote]

I gather that it is an experiment. As I mentioned above, I am not overly worried about me, it is more my users, who will call tech support (me) when anything looks amiss on their systems, especially when it comes to their 'virus protection supplement'.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:57 pm

<quote user="kitzey">
I got no "OR", I got a link to go to my paypal account! I did not see the word donation anyplace....
[/quote]
I pointed to the OP which states: Users who have installed the WOT add-on for Chrome and did fulfill above criteria may be asked to pay a fee, or to increase their contribution to continue using the add-on for free.
I understood: or to increase their contribution as a reference to adding site ratings.

I cannot be involved in this test. I do not use Chrome and have rated/commented on over a million domains.
As I replied recently, it would be nice to see some screen captures. Use the [url=https://www.mywot.com/wiki/WOT_Forum#.3Cimg.3E t=_blank]image tag[/url] to include them in a post. Upload them to a favorite image host, I personally have been using imgur.com

Satchman

Post by Satchman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:06 pm

<quote user="comp9">
Something is wrong with this. My activity score is above 1,400 and yet it is not free for me. You describe 500 and above as being able to use it free. I've switched at least a hundred people to using web of trust over the others by Symantec, Avast, Mcafee etc... The others are free. Please switch back to free, I really don't want to tell 100 people that web of trust is no longer the best because they decreased their user pool so much by charging all but the most loyal (perhaps, it seems to be charging all at the moment though) where others are free.
[/quote]

Not too thrilled about this,

While I can understand the generosity given to those who help and support WOT's research and development, asking new WOT members to pay a fee is going to turn off new users. Let's say that a new user is part of this experimental "focus" group and they decide, "I don't want to pay the fee." What screens would they see relating to WOT? Would they not be able to use WOT at all, or just be excluded from participating in the forums?

Satch

spectre

Post by spectre » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Well at least Microworkers wont have to pay for it!

What extra service will wot be providing to justify the charge, will you be scanning sites like Site Advisor and others do or relying on our actiivity to earn you more money? As this will lead to people posting any old crap just to get it free, will you be taking steps to ensure ratings and comments are more accurate? People will not pay for opinions alone, they will expect to have good protection for their money.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:38 pm

<quote user="donsorg">the after-payment-page explains the matter and offers instant refund with keeping WOT features unlocked.[/quote]
You've got to be joking
What the hell are you thinking?
This is defined as [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ransomware t=_self]ransomware[/url] Ransomware is a class of malware which restricts access to the computer system that it infects, and demands a ransom paid to the creator of the malware in order for the restriction to be removed.

A poor choice of "business model" Freeium as described on [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemium t=_self]Wikipedia[/url] starts of with: The business model has probably been in use for software since the 1980s, particularly in the form of a free time- or feature-limited ('lite') version, often given away on a floppy disk or CD-ROM, to promote a paid-for full version.
This article is misleading, the article starts with probably (anyone starting an article like that admits to not knowing what they're talking about) Back in the old BBS days, when HTML was introduced as freeware, 5-1/4 inch floppies were distributed in magazines (PC Magazine for example) and CD-ROMS were available to be viewed and download from, assuming you had enough quota. I remember those days...

My opinion
WOT needs to advance to the mobile (phone / table) device and create apps for Android, iOS, and Windows platforms..
The app should be a paid download (per device) which expires annually. This would generate a revenue stream. This would keep the PC browser add-on in full function and free to use, since the majority of WOT's data come from PC users.

Kitzey

Post by Kitzey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:33 pm

<quote user="satchman">
Not too thrilled about this,

While I can understand the help and generosity given to those who help and support WOT's research and development, asking new users to pay a fee I think is going to turn off new users. Let's say that a new user is part of this new experimental "focus" group and they decide, "I don't want to pay the fee." What screens would they see relating to WOT? Would they not be able to use WOT at all, or just be excluded from participating in the forums?

Satch
[/quote]

New users are exempt from the test....isnt that peachy...I promote for years and get whacked

Fantozzi

Post by Fantozzi » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:37 pm

<quote user="kitzey">
I promote for years and get whacked
[/quote]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/pFBqph3.png[/img]