WOT freemium

Geek Saint

RE: WOT freemium

Post by Geek Saint » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:08 pm

I created this account strictly so that I could comment. On you main page you call your self Web of Trust. I don't consider asking people to pay money without announcing it publicly trust worthy. And announcing something like this in a forum is NOT public. I found out about WOT is the last several months and started to install it with every new build I have done. I likely have over 50 installs to date. I have never even looked at this forum or even had an account. Now one of my friends called and said, hey this WOT thing you installed wants money what's up? I did a quick look on the main page and nothing had changed there. So I assumed my friend had a virus or other malware. Only after searching google for awhile did I find this forum and determine your Web of Trust can not be trusted!!! You now have no way to make money on me or any of my clients.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:50 pm

If I'm reading the thing right, this seems like a great idea! It'll force users to actually contribute.

antivirus45

Post by antivirus45 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:30 pm

I have used WOT for years, and if you're going to force me pay for it. Then I will uninstall it.

OctoberInTheChair

Post by OctoberInTheChair » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:06 pm

<quote user="issviews">
Come on WoT rethink things before too much damage is done.
[/quote] It's probably too late already. I think they've been planning this all along, ISS. https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/1483-how-does-wot-make-money

Why Wot needs to resort to this when they have deals with Facebook and mail(dot)ru is beyond me. Great business model - make money off a database created by volunteers. I'm absolutely disgusted.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:12 am

<quote user="octoberinthechair">
It's probably too late already. I think they've been planning this all along, ISS. https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/1483-how-does-wot-make-money[/quote]
:/
That thread was created over 5 years ago.
Much has changed with WOT since, and the thoughts at that time never mentioned taking away current WOT abilities with the choice to either contribute or pay as suggested in the OP, though it's been reported that contributions are not an option and payment may be reversed, though that information is not released until a payment is made; ie, held for ransom.

There are other old threads about the same subject.
Some discussions involved advertising on the scorecard and/or forums.
Some suggested a "WOT shop" with tee-shirts, ball caps, mouse pads, and coffee mugs.
Your linked topic was about a standard versus pro version.
That's back when the Trust Seal was released, but it was aimed at large corporations who could afford to pay extremely high fees - not too many bought in to the idea. Members were willing if the price was lowered to around 15-20 bucks/year but Staff didn't like the idea of such a small fee. Now there is no Trust Seal.

Also...
IMO, Timo should edit the OP and include some screen captures of this Freemium process since the majority of regular contributors within these forums can not experience this experimental test.

OctoberInTheChair

Post by OctoberInTheChair » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:53 am

<quote user="c۞g">
:/
That thread was created over 5 years ago. [...] and the thoughts at that time never mentioned taking away current WOT abilities with the choice to either contribute or pay as suggested in the OP...[/quote]Granted, but there are some illuminating comments there.<quote user="c۞g">....though it's been reported that contributions are not an option and payment may be reversed, though that information is not released until a payment is made; ie, held for ransom. [/quote]Wot as ransomware. Don't we rate those types of sites red?

<quote user="c۞g">There are other old threads about the same subject.[/quote] I'm sure there are but that was the link PM'd to me by another member who probably won't be taking part in Wot anymore and between the removal of current Wot functions for those "lucky" enough to be part of the "experiment" and some of the posts in that thread I'm too disgusted to look for them.
<quote user="c۞g">Some discussions involved advertising on the scorecard and/or forums.
Some suggested a "WOT shop" with tee-shirts, ball caps, mouse pads, and coffee mugs.[/quote]Yeah, and every one of those things is brought up in that thread I linked to.
<quote user="c۞g">Your linked topic was about a standard versus pro version.[/quote]Actually that idea wasn't brought up until here https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/1483-how-does-wot-make-money?comment=2985#comment-2985 by M-FCM and BobJam. I can't speak for M-FCM but I believe he was talking about a "Pro" version similar to the one Malwarebytes currently has (Anti-Malware Premium) which adds functions like real-time protection - it doesn't take away anything provided in the free version that users have come to rely on.

<quote user="c۞g">Also...
IMO, Timo should edit the OP and include some screen captures of this Freemium process since the majority of regular contributors within these forums can not experience this experimental test.
[/quote]I totally agree. I got rid of Chrome awhile back or I'd post screenshots if I were one of the "lucky" test subjects.

antivirus45

Post by antivirus45 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:14 am

<quote user="androidftw">
If I'm reading the thing right, this seems like a great idea! It'll force users to actually contribute.
[/quote]

What? That isn't very user friendly. I installed WOT because it was a great program, and if they're going to make me pay, then i'm done with WOT. Have fun losing most of your user-base.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:00 am

OK everyone, please pardon me in advance ...

"Have fun losing most of your user-base." got me thinking: Right now we're pushing 117M downloads (and still climbing in spite of ... you know), so there are probably quite a few users of the add-on. Now comes a limited Freemium experiment, and some users are commenting here about how horrible that is.

I imagine that if 0.0000001% of users posted here, this topic would become ginormous and it would look like the end of the world. "Well! I'm taking my $2 and buying a pack of cigs. No wait, they cost over twice that much, but at least they're better for me. No wait, I'll get a tiny box of donuts. Oh bother, none of that will last me a year. Anyway I'm outta here. I've got my principles!"

Yessss, I know: As a service which rates the trustworthiness of other sites, WoT should be held to the highest standards, or even beyond them to a mythical land of pure asceticism, beyond reproach regardless of any conceivable viewpoint. The slightest hint of imperfection should be excoriated without mercy.

If this ascetic starves as many have done, free will cease to matter.

OctoberInTheChair

Post by OctoberInTheChair » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:29 am

<quote user="myxt">
Right now we're pushing 117M downloads...
[/quote]How many of those downloads have been uninstalled? Does Wot subtract people who uninstalled from the download count? I don't just mean those who have uninstalled due to...you know, but what about people who uninstalled it a year ago? Or died and no longer use Wot?

I think this freemium idea is wrong, will lead to less reliable rating when people like my Aunt (who thinks an ISP and a browser are the same thing) rate sites just to get Wot for free, and probably will cause quite a few people to abandon ship or never join Wot to begin with.

I've been an active member of Wot since July of 2011, and a "lurker" for longer than that. Wot has given me the opportunity to learn from some of the best and most knowledgeable people in internet security in the world. Including you, ISSViews, regardless of what tornado-related er...differences of agreement we have had in the past. (That's as close to an apology as you're getting.) Some members have become friends - one in particular who I fear will never come back to Wot after this.

I have always been proud to be a member of Wot, and to belong to the forums. The first time I found out there were websites set up to collect PII from experienced Wot members and saw my username included my initial thought, even before the creepy feeling you get when you see something like that, was embarrassment - How could my username be listed alongside people who either have years upon years of experience in internet security, or people who have become experts after using the internet for years, reading tech blogs and the like, and learning through that sometimes harsh teacher called "experience"? Then I realized that those experts were the ones who, directly or indirectly, taught me most of what I know about internet security. It began to it make a little more sense...but only a little.

I rate sites as I have been taught to rate them. I try to do my best, not just rate things like example.com or google, nor rate off blacklists in an effort to increase my activity score. It took me over 2 and a half years to make the gold level. I'm in no hurry to make platinum; we had an active member awhile back who claimed to be a "Blueberry Cake Level" member, and that sums up my views about activity levels pretty well.

To top this off I don't even use the Wot add-on. I tried it in 2012 and found it irritating. So you can subtract at least one of those 117 downloads. I have Kaspersky URL Adviser and when I feel I still need more info I come to Wot and look up the site. Yet I have spent much time adding to the Wot database because I wanted to. It felt like the right thing to do.

Knowing my contributions are going to make people money by charging fees to use the database - charging people for the same functions they used to get for free - really bothers me. I'd feel different if Wot was going to add functions and charge for those; only people who want the added features would have to pay. (I guess I'm pro-Wot-Pro.) But this just feels wrong all around.

tennnessee

Post by tennnessee » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:29 am

Always ends up being about money.......no thanks....I'll take my chances without WOT.........