WOT freemium

Timo

WOT freemium

Post by Timo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:41 am

WOT always has been a community-powered tool to help others safe the web safer. We highly appreciate all of our active users, as the service would never been in the shape as it is now without them. Therefore, we wanted to assure all the community members who are actively contributing to WOT that the changes described below would NOT affect them.

We have reached a point in WOT development where we will start testing a few monetization models.

In the following days we will begin testing WOT freemium with users who haven't contributed to WOT by rating/commenting websites.

Under the limited features, there will be one or multiple from the core set of WOT functionality, such as blocking sites, displaying the warning screen, or the reputation icons.

Users who have installed the WOT add-on for Chrome and did fulfill above criteria may be asked to pay a fee, or to increase their contribution to continue using the add-on for free. Anyone with an activity score >= 500 (which equals ratings ~20 websites, for example), will be exempt from the freemium experiment.

Once again, we will be experimenting with this in near future, and anyone who is contributing to WOT is not included in the experiment.

c۞g

RE: WOT freemium

Post by c۞g » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:12 pm

@ Timo
Thanks for the public announcement!

WOT has previously performed other testing which usually do not involve [highly] active users.
It is difficult to answer questions proposed within these forums when users discover these tests.
WOT has a Wiki and WOT Staff should not only announce these "hidden features / tests" on the forum and/or blog but they should also archive them on the Wiki as reference.
I started the article: https://www.mywot.com/wiki/Experimental
@ Staff, please append and/or correct as needed.

<quote user="timo">Users who have recently installed the WOT add-on for Chrome and did fulfill above criteria may be asked to pay a fee, or to increase their contribution to continue using the add-on for free.[/quote]
to increase their contribution - will this request include the previously tested: [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/31430-an-unknown-wot-feature?comment=184634#comment-184634 t=_self]Feedback form[/url]?

Timo

Post by Timo » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:28 pm

<quote user="c۞g">
@ Timo
Thanks for the public announcement!

WOT has previously performed other testing which usually do not involve [highly] active users.
It is difficult to answer questions proposed within these forums when users discover these tests.
WOT has a Wiki and WOT Staff should not only announce these "hidden features / tests" on the forum and/or blog but they should also archive them on the Wiki as reference.
I started the article: https://www.mywot.com/wiki/Experimental
@ Staff, please append and/or correct as needed.

Thanks. I don't have anything to add.

to increase their contribution - will this request include the previously tested: [url=https://www.mywot.com/forum/31430-an-unknown-wot-feature?comment=184634#comment-184634 t=_self]Feedback form[/url]?
[/quote]

Freemium test is separate from feedback form that we tested before. It's possible that some of those users who were part of feedback form are part of freemium test too. However if they have give any ratings, comments or postings then they are not part of freemium experiment.

comp9

Post by comp9 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:58 pm

Something is wrong with this. My activity score is above 1,400 and yet it is not free for me. You describe 500 and above as being able to use it free. I've switched at least a hundred people to using web of trust over the others by Symantec, Avast, Mcafee etc... The others are free. Please switch back to free, I really don't want to tell 100 people that web of trust is no longer the best because they decreased their user pool so much by charging all but the most loyal (perhaps, it seems to be charging all at the moment though) where others are free.

donsorg

Post by donsorg » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:16 pm

<quote user="comp9">
Something is wrong with this. My activity score is above 1,400 and yet it is not free for me.
[/quote]

Hello, looks like your add-on is not syncronized with your WOT account and this is why it thinks that activity score is less than 500.
Please consider to syncronize: https://www.mywot.com/wiki/Synchronize

DSMTurboAWD

Post by DSMTurboAWD » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:39 pm

I very rarely post on forums as I often can glean the information I need without posting. However in this case I feel moved to post on this matter.
I have been using WOT for a long time and I do indeed have enough activity score to gain all of the nice features that WOT has to offer. However, as part of what I do for a living, I recommend products to customers who might have need for an extra layer of protection when browsing the web. Usually up until now, I am pointing to WOT because WOT suppresses bad rated sites as well as warning on links that may potentially be unsafe.
Now, after this update, I am almost certain that none of my customers have a high enough activity score to retain the features they are used to. Most of the time these individuals have a hard time navigating a computer to begin with, let alone being mindful of potentially hazardous sites.

I personally have no problem with paying for a good product. I also have no problem with rating sites to build my own activity score. However, those who need this protection, Likely are not rating sites, nor will they pay for such a service, they are currently used to getting for free.

I do not know the solution, without miffing some group. Nor am I suggesting reverting to a free model. I am simply worrying about my customers and what they might think when their WOT suddenly stops working for them.

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:57 pm

@Timo =

Hello

When you say "freemium" is that a compound word, of these two words, free and premium?

I have never had the pleasure of "talking" to you at length, I do hope you read my post, this post

I joined WOT because I wanted to change the world, at least a bit, I have not enough money to pay WOT, for the knowledge acquired during all these years, is being truly an education in every field, but hopefully I did change the world for the better, a bit at least through WOT
This was my second time, I joined a forum and God knows how many mistakes I made, but I worked hard and I had great teachers I remained loyal, but truthful to your idea and Sami's, what I hope is that you listen to an opinion and advice
Before you, decide to implement this new project, try something totally different, ask the members of WOT what would be the best way to make this add - on, financially sound and in the process grow as it should

I have been here for just three years,but there are members that started at WOT, from the beginning, and as you said earlier
We highly appreciate all of our active users, as the service would never been in the shape as it is now without them
Without them, WOT would have never gone anywhere, if you ask them, you will be surprised at the good ideas that can be implemented to make WOT more profitable, in a well moderated thread in which no matter how absurd the idea may be, member could interact with you and Sami and the C.E.O and come out with a short list of ideas that may sound good, and execute the best, according to your prerogative

This could be limited to whatever time, you will think is best,but don't go in this direction, which go against your original ideal and for what so many members, worked so hard in one way or the other, to make WOT what is today

The alternative of not doing this could signal the end of WOT

From the bottom of my heart I wish you all the best

edit=
@ DSMTurboAWD
You make a great point that I overlooked, while composing my post
Thank you!
Edit

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:14 pm

<quote user="dsmturboawd">
I very rarely post on forums as I often can glean the information I need without posting. However in this case I feel moved to post on this matter.
I have been using WOT for a long time and I do indeed have enough activity score to gain all of the nice features that WOT has to offer. However, as part of what I do for a living, I recommend products to customers who might have need for an extra layer of protection when browsing the web. Usually up until now, I am pointing to WOT because WOT suppresses bad rated sites as well as warning on links that may potentially be unsafe.
Now, after this update, I am almost certain that none of my customers have a high enough activity score to retain the features they are used to. Most of the time these individuals have a hard time navigating a computer to begin with, let alone being mindful of potentially hazardous sites.

I personally have no problem with paying for a good product. I also have no problem with rating sites to build my own activity score. However, those who need this protection, Likely are not rating sites, nor will they pay for such a service, they are currently used to getting for free.

I do not know the solution, without miffing some group. Nor am I suggesting reverting to a free model. I am simply worrying about my customers and what they might think when their WOT suddenly stops working for them.
[/quote]

If you read the OP notice that either a payment OR contribute.
Tell your users to offer ratings for the sites they use most.
Especially those sites which are local: community / government / etc.
If they belong to a church that has a site, rate it.
If your grocery store has a site, rate it.
Scout troop, library, school, bank, etc., etc.
You can rate ~ 20 domains in no time, earning the required activity level to have WOT freemium turned "off"

Understand, WOT is community-driven and relies upon your input as well as others.
Do not always rely upon "my" ratings, or ratings made by other highly active users; I (we) are not always correct, humans can (and do) make mistakes.

lostbuddy1

Post by lostbuddy1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:01 pm

Just off of this whole "freemium" nonsense you just lost about 20 people including me. All the pc's I've installed this on are for people that aren't tech savy, I doubt they'll want to go forth and rate any websites as they hardly know how to navigate google. Easy to do yes I agree but the majority of people are lazy. Now I gotta look for something that's similar to this. You can go ahead and tell those 20 people how to rate it and be frustrated, and that's only 20. Thousands are gonna be wondering why their stuff isn't working and see that they have to pay, I dunno but to me that's pretty much a green light to look elsewhere for something that does work. Hopefully you guys can find a different approach before it's too late.

Kitzey

Post by Kitzey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:22 pm

I've promoted WOT more times on Facebook for a very long time! I've had WOT for oh geez it seems like years...I dont remember not having it and I have ALWAYS promoted your add on to my friends and others I run into on Facebook and the majority of them have downloaded your program.....to say I havent contributed is really insulting....no I have not here but I have been spreading the word since I first downloaded it about 5 PC's ago...and now I have to pay 2 bucks to see if a site is safe? I really like this program and how it works...but now...after promoting you constantly you abandon me...thanks...