WOT needs to control its community

Nulander

WOT needs to control its community

Post by Nulander » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:16 pm

I invite you to read the contents of this website:

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/new/?p=818

Someone is heavly complaining about the WOT users ethics on placing rating on the scorecards.

siblingshot

RE: WOT needs to control its community

Post by siblingshot » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:43 pm

So. The knives are unsheathed.

And blunted - from the outset - by misapprehension. For the most part.

Sami

Post by Sami » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:49 pm

There's an interesting story behind this. The people running the site used to promote WOT to their users. Here's a quote from 2008:

We were quite impressed with Web Of Trust, their product, their site and their support staff. We can, after testing WOT, give it our best recommendation. It appears to be good product by developers who seem keen on continuing to make it even better.

At some point they decided to start heavily promoting a certain software product on their website. It turned out the website for this software was rated poorly (and for a good reason). The users of the site started wondering why the site was recommending poorly rated software and the people running the site started consequently complaining to us. They sent us several long-winded emails basically demanding that we "do something" (as in change the reputation), so they can continue pushing the software to their users. We obviously refused.

After a while the cognitive dissonance probably became too much to bear and they decided that WOT is a bad thing and have been bashing us ever since. I'm guessing the revenue from the ads was pretty good.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:11 pm

An interesting read covering some bad points, however there are quite a few flaws in their arguements. It is stacked on the negative and fails to mention phishtank, Hphosts and other well known and reliable database services that WOT uses within scorecards.

Secondly, the comments on some people who have rated thousands of sites are unjustified. Like it or not, there are some who are extremely devoted to WOT and are far from naive in investigating sites and giving an accurate, reliable rating and comment. The Author of that article (infoave) obviously did not look further than the end of his nose or he would have identified the good from the bad.

As for the comment of 'Figure10' being 17 years old! So, what! Does this mean he is incapable aand unreliable due to his age! The Author of that post (infoave) needs to get out more and open his eyes as many teenagers and far younger are very capable with computers. Need people be over 30, 40 or even 50 to get this respect from him? I doubt he is even aware of a 12 year old in the US who is deemed the new Einstein and is in university at present to get his professor.

Anyway, so what if he does not recommend WOT, he is not the first or the last to feel that way. He is entitled to his opinion which is shared by the minority rather than the majority.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:40 pm

@ IssView
exactly my same thoughts.
Not to count that (from the link posted by MassimilianoF)

GFI Software: 3. GFI Software: While GFI does offer a program for home users to backup their computers, its main purpose is for small businesses. They offer products for backup, spam and mail security, as well as provide server and hosting security.

That's not a correct statement since GFI acquired VIPRE some months ago
http://vipreantivirus.com/

It seems their informations are also outdated:o)

Jazspeak

Post by Jazspeak » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:42 pm

It just looks like a blog that someone uses to rant about whatever topic comes to his or her mind, and if it hadn't been given the oxygen of publicity on this forum it would have remained in the background noise of obscurity.

Whilst it looks like the blogger hasn't really understood the way that WOT works, s/he has a point about some WOT members misusing ratings for advancing personal, political, or religious agendas. However, the list of WOT users mentioned in the blog has rather missed the target since they are not the members who have been most visibly and persistently guilty of using ratings in such a manner.

Personally, I wouldn't be overly concerned by someone having an ill-informed rant on a personal blog, and it might be better for this thread to move into obscurity taking that blog with it.

Pointless complaint.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:50 pm

Just quote from this site:
It is hard to imagine, a member who joined in May 2010 could post 338,000+ site ratings based on his personal experience in less than 330 days (May 1, 2010 – March 17, 2011).

I think they should to read WOT Wiki before writting this.
http://www.mywot.com/wiki/Mass_rating_tool

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:11 pm

by the way
" da che pulpito viene la predica" we say in my Country [edit to add a translation: "look who's talking"]

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/answers/2009/wot.htm

here is what they reccomend:-)

[url=https://www.mywot.com'http://img190.imageshack.us/i/funnyc.png/' t='_blank']Image[/url]

[edit]
read here
http://www.mywot.com/it/forum/9698-registry-mechanic

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:12 pm

I was aware of this but it tickles me that infoave has the balls to preach about WOT and the members when he can't even understand why his recommendations of that software put his site in a dim light! Perhaps he needs to look closer at those programs and this time, wear glasses and think for once ;)

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:23 pm

@All = It's 7:17 pm in Miami Fl, I am up since 6: am and quite involved with WOT all day like must days

Reading what they said about "me" got me angry and sad because I try my best and now I don't use MRT, that is even harder

I was asked by an ex rater, what motivated me to keep on rating without the privilege I once had. My response was that WOT made a difference and the least I could do was to work harder. It's easy to become cynical about many things in life, but just because it is easier that does not make it worth it, I much rather be a dreamer, and take the garbage from people who chose to live without the hope that this world can be better, much better if they took a chance and tried to change it than spend my time whining

As for that individual that said whatever came from his heart [ garbage ] I could tell that he is or was a member of WOT, and that speaks volumes about his personality or lack of it

I pity him, but I wish him well, I do not have time to hate or fear, life is too short for it -

Thanks Mass , for bringing this report, it means that we have something that they cannot have that is the reason behind the envy!

Edit = It is an honor to work next to such a great bunch of people