WOT No Longer Reliable

ysbird

WOT No Longer Reliable

Post by ysbird » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:26 pm

It is well known on the 'net that WOT is no longer reliable in their ratings!

I have found this to be true as some sites I have visited which have a green rating have tried to install Malware on my pc.! Others I have visited which have a red rating are perfectly safe sites!

I think it is time WOT did some serious rethinking about their rating system and and make some changes to it.

I for one am not happy with WOT any longer due to this and unless you change your rating system SOON I will be uninstalling it.

Kraftwerk

Re:

Post by Kraftwerk » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Oh, really? That´s a pity. Could you give us a link?

I have found this to be true as some sites I have visited which have a green rating have tried to install Malware on my pc.! Others I have visited which have a red rating are perfectly safe sites!

again, any examples?

It appears that you havent rated many of those incorrect rated sites. Well, if users like you only argue but don´t rate it cannot work, that´s for sure.

btw : Is it this site your complaining about? liferisk.co.nz

c۞g

re: WOT No Longer Reliable

Post by c۞g » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:11 pm

OK So let's see the links to these reliable sources.

• RED does not necessarily mean "safe" in WOT; WOT is a reputation system that displays a website's Trustworthiness by other WOT users. A site does not have to inject Malware to be poorly rated.
  • WOT uses an arsenal of [url=http://www.mywot.com/wiki/Trusted_Sources t=_self]Trusted Sources[/url] to help prevent users from Malware / Phishing and spam. Of course, if you discover a site conatining Malware and WOT has either an unrated or a green scorecard rating, please reference the domain and the source of malware on to these forums.
    That's one reason we are here...
I think it is time WOT did some serious rethinking about their rating system and and make some changes to it.
The "system" as is works perfectly fine; any changes other than cosmetic are made when identified and implemented transparently. Exactly what changes are you referring to?

I for one am not happy with WOT any longer due to this and unless you change your rating system SOON I will be uninstalling it.
This is a personal remark so it means you have a website with a rating you disagree with.
Please read the [url=http://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ t=_self]Wiki FAQ[/url] and learn more about how WOT works.
It would also help if you mention the domain name to the site whose reputation inspired your post.

giedrius

Stop thinking of WOT as an

Post by giedrius » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Stop thinking of WOT as an antivirus/ antimalware suite. It is not, and it will never be.
WOT shows what majority of WOT users think about particular website. That's it.
Also, some problems might be seen by people with different background, different experience.

Sami

Re: WOT No Longer Reliable

Post by Sami » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:41 pm

This outburst is quite obviously about [url=http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/liferisk.co.nz t=_self]liferisk.co.nz[/url]. It has a poor reputation, because it was compromised and used for phishing previously (blacklisted at PhishTank) and there haven't been any further ratings for the site since then.

It's funny how people think that a) reputations cannot change and b) if they disagree with a reputation, it's always [url=http://www.mywot.com/wiki/FAQ#Reputations_are_easy_to_manipulate t=_self]a competitor who has rated them down[/url]. It never even occurs to people that the site may have had security issues that have hurt its reputation.

Agreed Sami

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:27 pm

I quite agree with you there Sami. It is often easier to pass the blame rather than admit there is a problem their end.

phantazm

"compromised and used for phishing previously"

Post by phantazm » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:50 am

sami: "This outburst is quite obviously about liferisk.co.nz. It has a poor reputation, because it was compromised and used for phishing previously (blacklisted at PhishTank) and there haven't been any further ratings for the site since then."

If the site is clean now, shouldn't it be rerated then..?

xxxxAlexxxx

RE: WOT No Longer Reliable

Post by xxxxAlexxxx » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:58 am

Well Idk about malware but many sites are based on opinion. So people need to realize that these are based on peoples personal opinions, experiences, and even biases.

Keavs

Post by Keavs » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:18 pm

If a large group of actual site users have given you this rating, then that's just the way it is.....

If you were blacklisted for being compromised..... then you could have gotten this fixed easily.
I have seen these guys go out of their way to help people get their sites green again, and get removed from the lists.

In a few cases, I have seen prejudice and pettiness inspire bad ratings, but I honestly believe this to be the exception and not the rule.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:37 pm

In my opinion WOT is very reliable though there are some cases where it counts a website as unsafe but it is safe in most aspects, such as Iobit, which though it has had Trojan reports in the past, is cleaned up and was fixed and doesn't include anymore viruses now as far as I know. But overall, I love WOT. Very efficient. Plus even the most efficient products have drawbacks and/or mistakes. In fact I am sure there are alot of programs and/or websites that virus protection type products mistake as safe or think unsafe when in all of actuality, they're safe. Nothing is perfect, but WOT is very far from imperfect in my own opinion, but that's just me.