WoT = VIRUS/SPYWARE - DO NOT INSTALL / UNINSTALL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

destinationtruth

RE: WoT = VIRUS/SPYWARE - DO NOT INSTALL / UNINSTALL AS SOON AS

Post by destinationtruth » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Guess there's a lot of skid marks on underwear at the WoT office.

Think I'll stick around to see how this latest media bandwagon plays out. For some odd reason I smell a conspiracy theory; though wouldn't be surprised either if it proves true.

Dynamoo

Post by Dynamoo » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:26 pm

The problem with "anonymous data" not actually being anonymous has surfaced before. Notable the AOL search data leak (hxxp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOL_search_data_leak) also proved that individuals could be identified through data that was thought to be anonymous. That had serious ramifications for AOL. I am surprised that whoever decided to sell the data wasn't aware of the AOL scandal which does seem to closely mirror what has happened here.

mario692

Post by mario692 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:43 pm

It's not a conspiracy theory, this is real. You can find the detailed analysis here: hxxps://www.kuketz-blog.de/wot-addon-wie-ein-br ... ausspaeht/
They basically set up a honeypot domain, then visited this domain while WoT (and only WoT) was installed. Later, they found this exact domain in the sold data. They also plan to test more addons. The author especially mentions Ghostery and AdBlock Plus as potential candidates.
Also, the story was covered by a German public TV station, comparable to BBC or NPR. This is really happening. The complete browser history of everyone who had WoT installed is now being sold by data brokers, some of them have their headquarter in Panama or British Virgin Islands. So it will be incredible difficult to make them delete your data.

Semtex503

Post by Semtex503 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Well, this is very bad "news", there is a lot more other extensions selling our history, but if this is true, then WOT team did worst decision ever, I'm waiting for some explanation, if this will not satisfies me, then WOT is flaying away from my Firefox, and from every other friends browsers...

Disgusting...

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:02 pm

<quote user="williki">
If what is being said is the WOT add-on is actually malware, then I don't know what you are talking about. At home I run AVG Antivirus (pay) and Malwarebytes Premium. At work, Sophos Enterprise - all of which have no problem whatsoever with this add-on
[/quote]

It is no malware, your data is uploaded/sold to another company. How should a software on your PC find that out?!

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:04 pm

<quote user="destinationtruth">

Think I'll stick around to see how this latest media bandwagon plays out. For some odd reason I smell a conspiracy theory; though wouldn't be surprised either if it proves true.
[/quote]
I don't know what to think about this.
Agree with DT and I'm awaiting a sufficient - and honest - explanation by WOT HQ
After so many years of being active here, I would be a tiny little bit - :) - disappointed if it's true.
Note : If the source was the German sensation newspaper Bild, I would be laughing.
But this was e.g. the NDR ( Nord Deutsche Rundfunk ).
OTOH : a lot of news gathering and publishing in Germany is sensation based
Entschuldige, aber dass stimmt wirklich.....

Didn't hear about it here in Holland yet.
So let's see what comes out.
Peter

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:30 pm

This is really not cool WOT. Especially the silence when you get questioned by the press. If you go silent, it means you're guilty.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:33 pm

<quote user="rejzor">
This is really not cool WOT. Especially the silence when you get questioned by the press. If you go silent, it means you're guilty.
[/quote]

They just posted a vague reply on the board.

destinationtruth

Post by destinationtruth » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:40 pm

<quote user="rejzor">
[/quote]

Does not mean such. This is what I expected.
https://www.mywot.com/en/forum/70476-us ... ent-353796

geryoei

Post by geryoei » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:00 pm

As a result the major browser developer have stopped supporting WOT:
It has been replaced in the
- Mozilla
- Chrome
- IE
stores already.
Safari to follow.

Which is the best reaction they can do. It is getting difficult for the WOT team. I wish they would declare more open what they really in detail where transmitting and selling:

Trust is a very precious gem - once destroyed it is difficult to rebuild and depending on the follow up reaction probably impossible to regain.

In my opinion completely openess including a full disclosure of the code as well as the data structures that where transmitted and a extensive explanation what data in which granularity was sold is necessary.