WoT = VIRUS/SPYWARE - DO NOT INSTALL / UNINSTALL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

NotBuyingIt

RE: ⋯ some progress with this issue

Post by NotBuyingIt » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:39 pm

<quote user="geryoei">
Has there been some progress with this issue?
[/quote]

Yes, there has been some progress.

Interested readers may wish to follow the WOT blog for announcements about the add-on, (e.g., the revised edition for Google's Chrome web browser). Readers may also wish to carefully review WOT's revised Privacy Policy.
&nbsp;

hagabaka

RE: WoT = VIRUS/SPYWARE - DO NOT INSTALL / UNINSTALL AS SOON AS

Post by hagabaka » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:33 am

I understand that WOT needs money stay operational, but I have to stop using it because it sells history data to third parties. While I'm sure many other web services do the same thing, they don't have our COMPLETE browsing history which includes social media profile URLs, so I don't think any anonymization on WOT's part will be enough to protect our privacy. The fact that there was no prominent warning about this behavior in an extension and service designed to PROTECT people from untrustworthy sites has destroyed WOT's reputation.

I recommend that WOT promise to stop selling browsing data, and switch to a subscription or donation system instead. Otherwise, it needs to be more transparent about "anonymization techniques" and the exact types of data that will be shared with third parties.

go_0m

RE: WoT = VIRUS/SPYWARE - DO NOT INSTALL / UNINSTALL AS SOON AS

Post by go_0m » Mon May 29, 2017 10:03 am

disappointed in WOT, going to stop using the add-on and delete my account. i'm glad they're trying to clear things up, but i can't trust them after this.
All submissions made by this user will be attributed to the anonymous account. This action cannot be undone.
had a question though, is there any way to delete ratings en mass? i want them gone period, not just my account (also 'the anonymous account' still sounds like they'd be tied together in an unclaimed account, correct me if i'm wrong). i was deleting them manually one at a time but i think i hit some sort of limit. this method won't work if there's some sort of cooldown in place.
Oops, something went wrong... Please try again
any help would be appreciated.

NotBuyingIt

RE: … UNINSTALL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

Post by NotBuyingIt » Mon May 29, 2017 1:40 pm

<quote user="go_0m">
had a question though, is there any way to delete ratings en mass? i want them gone period, not just my account
[/quote]
@go_0m
I believe that the WOT system deletes all of your ratings and corresponding scorecard comments when you delete your account. The initial posts (OPs) in the forum threads that you started will be attributed to "Anonymous" but follow-up comments which you posted in the forums will be attributed to your former user-name followed by the tag "(not verified)". Of course, other community members' forum comments quoting from your comments won't be altered. For more information about deleting your data, see WOT's privacy policy.
&nbsp;