your rating differs. Leave a comment?

Otaku

your rating differs. Leave a comment?

Post by Otaku » Wed May 14, 2008 8:21 am

The following comment appears under a rating I gave for trustworthiness:
"your rating differs. Leave a comment?"

The comment appears only if i switch trustworthiness to the highest or lowest possible setting. Does this mean that I'm the only WOT member to give this site a bad or excellent rating? Does it impact the site's rating if I do NOT leave a comment? In other words, does my rating get ignored if I don't leave a comment? I looked through WOT's site, and I can't find any explanation for this.

The site currently has orange (51) on trustworthiness and red on privacy (2) & reliability (1). I get the comment when I rate trustworthiness to the highest or lowest possible rating. I don't get it on the other areas that are already red, and by such a lower number on their scorecard. If the site is orange with a 51 shown on their scorecard for trustworthiness, then doesn't that mean most ratings fall in the middle but some may be excellent while others are bad? I'm confused as to why my "rating differs" and prompts a comment.

Also, if reliability is red with a "1" on the scorecard, does that mean only one person left a rating so far. It doesn't make any logical sense to me because the site isn't popular either. I didn't think WOT counted ratings in low numbers. What's the threshhold to actually trigger a rating calculation? I assume it's higher than 2 people.

Also, what about companies that have employees rate their site to bring the site out of orange or red? Is WOT able to detect this? Naturally, if your employer tells you to rate the site green, then you're going to do it, and I think it happens a lot with WOT.

Otaku

hmmm...

Post by Otaku » Wed May 14, 2008 8:56 am

now, I'm really confused. The site's scorecard just change from 51 to 31 on trustworthiness, and the shadowed person is no longer shadowed. However, the site now has a shadowed person under vendor reliability but still a rating of 2. The entire site is red now, except there isn't a rating under child safety. Why did it change so drastically in an hour?

I am no longer being prompted to leave a comment but I'd still like my question answered.

I'm confuzzeddd by random changes between an hour and how a site goes from having a person icon shadowed to none shadowed in an hour. @-@ Does that mean the system dropped one user's rating and it held that much weight?

How many people does it take to impact a rating? I don't mean a percentage but a minimum threshhold for overall calculation.

AnonymousSpecial

I think that ratings are

Post by AnonymousSpecial » Wed May 14, 2008 10:04 am

I think that ratings are triggered by the total weight of the users who have voted. For example, people who have been leaving more ratings and have been consistent will probably have a bigger weighting than someone who has just joined or has been producing erratic behaviour.

I have noticed that when I rate a new site, my rating is usually there within the next two days. I think I am in the top 20-50 users.

Sami

Re: your rating differs. Leave a comment?

Post by Sami » Wed May 14, 2008 10:30 am

1. The "Your rating differs. Leave a comment?" text appears simply if your rating differs enough from the current WOT rating. It doesn't tell you anything about the distribution of other ratings. Leaving a comment is completely optional, but recommended. Whether you leave a comment or not does not affect the site's rating and your rating is always counted.

2. The "shadowed person" doesn't show you the number of ratings, it tells you the confidence our system has in the correctness of the rating. This value can sometimes go down even when the system receives more ratings for a site.

3. Ratings are updated every 30 minutes or so. When you rate a site, that's how soon the rating can change. There's no threshold for the number of ratings that must be received before the rating is shown, but instead a confidence threshold. If the confidence is below the threshold, ratings are not shown. Therefore, a single untrusted user cannot set a rating for a previously unknown site, but a single trusted user can. If there are very few ratings for a site, a single rating from a trusted user can have a large effect on the rating. In this case, you'll see a low confidence value. You can read more from this old blog post.

Otaku

Thanks for your explanation

Post by Otaku » Wed May 14, 2008 4:16 pm

Thanks for your explanation but I'm still a bit confused.

Their rating just changed again to something *completely* different as:
yellow - Trustworthiness 50 - 1 shadow
yellow - Vendor reliability 43 - 1 shadow
yellow - Privacy 42 - 1 shadow
green - Child Safety 89 - 2 shadows

When I looked about 6 hours ago, it was:
red - Trustworthiness 28 - 0 shadow
red - Vendor reliability 1- 1 shadow
red - Privacy 1 - 0 shadow
none - Child Safety 0 - 0 shadow

About an hour before the above view, it was:
red - Trustworthiness 31- 0 shadow
red - Vendor reliability 1- 1 shadow

And, one hour before that, it was:
yellow - Trustworthiness 51- 1 shadow
red - Vendor reliability 2 - 0 shadow

I like using WOT, but it seems to be too easy to change a rating or something because it can fluctuate drastically on a low traffic site. When evaluating a site, I would hope I could trust WOT's rating but it can change too drastically from one hour to the next hour. Last month, when I looked at this site, they were green on everything except child safety. In fact, this is the first time that I've seen a rating under Child Safety.

I'm surprised by the recent fluctuation because I don't know anyone in Japan who would recommend this agency, except for their own employees. I also can't see why a child would be on a rental agency's site. It's odd to see the most recent change when it was completely red with low numbers just 6 hours ago.

Also, to add to my confusion, the most recent rating was showing on Google 6 hours ago but WOT's site showed red on the three areas. I was googling the company when I noticed the "green" on Google's site. Is the data on the site behind the data on Google's site by several hours? I'm confused. What's the real rating?

Sami

Re: Thanks for your explanation

Post by Sami » Wed May 14, 2008 4:36 pm

Like I said, the confidence indicator tells you how much the rating can be trusted, it's there for a purpose. Low confidence means the system doesn't have all that much evidence to back up the rating. It also means that new ratings can potentially have a large effect on the site's rating. A high confidence value means there's plenty of evidence to back up the rating and therefore, new user ratings are less likely to have a huge impact. Again, the confidence value does not necessarily correlate with the number of ratings.

Ratings are cached in the add-on for half an hour and the website caches ratings shown on the scorecard for an hour if I remember correctly. Therefore, if the rating for a site has changed recently, the add-on and the scorecard might show you different ratings for a while. If you suspect this might be the case, you can force the add-on to refresh the rating by right clicking the toolbar button and selecting Refresh from the menu.

What comes to your example, ratings only change if someone has rated the site. If you suspect the site's rating is being manipulated, please report it and we'll take a look. If you disagree with the rating and would like to explain why, I recommend leaving a comment on the scorecard.