CVS

CVS

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 pm

I got a "marketing" email from CVS . . . I get my prescriptions at the CVS pharmacy, so I've created a CVS login ID at the CVS site and I must have NOT unchecked the usual box that says you want promotional material via email (I usually do that).

So I chose the "unsubscribe" link in the email and when it went to the site it was rated red by WOT, with the usual warning.

The WOT scorecard is at http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/cvs.p.delivery.net

Since I was sandboxed I went to the site anyway. It's at cvs.p.delivery.net/m/u/cvs/c.asp?e=*****%40*****.com&mid=1773878879&cid=14319024014 (I've taken out the "http://" part and starred out my email address so the URL doesn't show up as a link here and my email address isn't displayed).

So what's the deal here? I looked at the source code behind the web page and couldn't see anything other than cvs.com links.

Has somebody hijacked the server or is there a redirect or was this a bogus email? The email was from cvs@email.cvs.com.

wehaveitall

Where its reputation is derived from

Post by wehaveitall » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:13 am

The reputation is derived from Spamcop, which is an automatically created blacklist made up of websites that send a heavy amount of emails. The website is a subdomain of CVS.com however, and CVS is rated safe, leading me to believe it's safe as well. (And that doesn't mean I'm guaranteeing its safe, so need to lecture me JustAMom)

A big thank you to all the WOT staff

Confused

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:51 am

wehaveitall: "Spamcop, which is an automatically created blacklist made up of websites that send a heavy amount of emails."

So if Spamcop puts sites "that send a heavy amount of emails" on their blacklist, wouldn't that include a lot of safe sites? I mean, sending a lot of emails IS an indication of spammers, BUT NOT ALWAYS.

If Spamcop did it because of the automation, then why is the WOT rating based on Spamcop? I looked at the scorecard and saw the Spamcop listing, but I assumed that a lot of others had rated it red anyway because in my understanding of ratings, it's not sufficient to have just one rating to classify a site.

Or does Spamcop have some kind of weighting that makes it's single rating in this case sufficient to make it red? Sami?

wehaveitall

Maybe someone else

Post by wehaveitall » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:28 am

The only thing I can think of is if a person also rated it red

c۞g

agreed

Post by c۞g » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:51 am

large quantities of email does not equal SPAM.
definition of SPAM is unsolicited commercial email.
once you offer your email address, your condoning solicitation.

There is supposed to be an OptOut page/link somewhere...
CVS is a pharmacy, they're not interested in personally handling email advertisements from 3rd party's, though they do enjoy the revenue albeit.

I looked at the cvs.p.delivery.net scorecard and noticed is was "safe" but interestingly the initial domain of www.delivery.net is marked "unsafe"
Reviewing the site itself at www.delivery.net it explains that is is an email delivery system for large companies and it offers an OptOut link for it's database.
I see no Adware, or malware - as one user commented on, nor do I have any personal experience with receiving SPAM from them in any of my ISP / Gmail / other email accounts (though I do get an enormous amount of email for watches, luggage, and little blue pills)

Agreed
Just because a company handles the vast amounts of email for one or several other companies does not make them SPAMMERs it makes them a legitimate business.

IF placing bulk notifications (emails are a form of notification) is defined as SPAM, then SpamCop's very own blacklist is (by their simple definition) SPAM.
LOL!

Sami

Re: CVS

Post by Sami » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:48 am

The poor reputation comes all the way from [url=https://www.mywot.com/scorecard/delivery.net t=_self]delivery.net[/url], which [url=http://hosts-file.net/?s=www.delivery.net t=_self]appears in hpHosts[/url], for example.

wehaveitall

Oh

Post by wehaveitall » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:45 pm

I wonder why I didn't see its a subdomain of delivery.net

Trickle down ratings?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:36 pm

This trickle down effect of ratings has been explained by Sami before I think. But I forget the explanation, so can you 'splain it again?

And I assume deliver.net handles spam in addition to legitimate requests for subscriptions?

The reason I'm asking about the trickle down effect ratings is because this warning I got for cvs.p.delivery.net was apparently unwarranted, and that kind of thing may discourage people from visiting legitimate sites. I know it gave me pause, and had I not been in a sandbox I probably would not have gone through the warning.

I was tempted to rate it green myself (after looking into it further of course . . . I did look at the source code but didn't see any evidence of malware) but I wanted to ask here before I did more due diligence. And I think I got my answer, but I would like the questions above answered too. TIA.

Sami

Re: Trickle down ratings?

Post by Sami » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:40 pm

There's [url=https://www.mywot.com/blog/the-neighbourhood t=_self]a blog posting about reputation inheritance[/url], which should explain it.

Basically, a subdomain's reputation is affected by the parent domains reputation until there are enough ratings for it.

Athlonite

Trickle...

Post by Athlonite » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:09 am

I guess this would be the same as the Blogger from Googles where all of the Blogs get the same ratings as the parent site "Blogger" . This is too bad IMO . There are some good blogs out there that are helpful and informative . To inherit the parents rating is not fair. It also takes ALLOT of good ratings to change these ratings. Too many.

Athlonite.

Your help is always needed.