Don't go to regcleaner.com

Athlonite

RE-So....

Post by Athlonite » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:40 am

IF you are now in Vista , I don't recommend you use ANY of those programs. There are new entries in Vista that most of you would not recognize. I do hope you look at the reg. keys that reg. cleaners want to delete. However , if you still use XP any flavor then , I would only recommend you go to Live OneCare safety scanner:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm . AND only use the Broom Option. This will take care of your Temps files along with the unused Reg. Keys. People have been sorta lucky with Registry Mechanic but, have also heard horror stories.
So, my conclusion IS I don't recommend any cleaner that would mess with my registry. Let me ask . If you got infected , would you be willing to go in the registry and delete keys ? If your answer is No. then how come you trust an automated program to do the job. If the Experts in the field say it would to hard for them to write a program to do this then , why would you trust anyone else to be able to do it ?

Athlonite.

Your help is always needed.

Echo on Athlonite . . .

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:52 am

Why in the world would you, gospelmixxer, EVER want to use ANY registry cleaner after reading through this thread? Not trying to be abrasive, and maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but it sounds like you are intent on using these things.

It's certanly your call to make . . . it's your machine . . . but I'd be ready for a bunch of "I told you so" stuff if you post back that you used one and your machine is messed up.

Or if you ran one and your machine is not messed up, then you likely got lucky, or you like to tempt fate, or you're a very experienced user.

I don't want to discourage you from coming here if you have a problem, and I doubt anyone will say "I told you so", but I guarantee you some of us will be "thinking" it.

Any reg cleaner

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Bobjan and Athlonite have posted long articles on this website about not using reg cleaners.I do not use reg cleaners after Athlonite warned me.These people Know what they are talking about.They have used computers for a long time.Also most other forums will warn against reg cleaners including Bleeping Computers and Microsofts own tech sites.The gain at best is that minimal you will not see the difference and the risk that great you wont see the screen on your computer.Leave reg cleaners well alone.

Keithj

The "avoid like the plague"

Post by Keithj » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 pm

The "avoid like the plague" advice is very sound!

Some years ago, I tried a "free trial, buy after 30 days" registry cleaner. It stopped several items of software from working. I had to archive my documents etc, wipe the hard drive, and reinstall everything. Never again!

I do occasionally get into the registry, mostly to remove stuff I want "out" for specific reasons. I do that manually, and carefully. I've never had a problem that way.

The registry doesn't need to be neat and tidy - it's for the computer, not the inspector.

bobicool

Post by bobicool » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:40 pm

It's stupid that people will actually download and Buy this [bleep]!

AmtrakF40PHIII

These things are not worth the code they are made of!

Post by AmtrakF40PHIII » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:53 am

This was a few years back but as I were new to computing and the web, I actually installed one of these bloody things (not realising the dangers these so-called freebies can do!) thinking it would fix any errors and it proclaimed that it would make my PC (I had Windows Me back then) boot faster and the program flunked up my comp completely as it corrupted the registry, I had to install everything from scratch! Manual editing is much safer! Or if you don't know what you are doing, take it to a PC technician that can do it for you!

Xp54321

And..

Post by Xp54321 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:55 am

And most of the time there is no need to edit the registry anyways except for certain such as the removal of startup items and nuking malware. :)

AmtrakF40PHIII

My point precisely ;).

Post by AmtrakF40PHIII » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:19 pm

My point precisely ;).

The Big Bin

I know about a system tool

Post by The Big Bin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:27 pm

I know about a system tool that lets you control all of the startup items manually without being able to operate the regedit yourself, but sadly with my 5-moth-old hard drive crashing on May 1 last year, this program disappeared and I can't tell you exactly where to find it. Its file name was simply "Startup", and this was one of the few really safe programs because you did a manual regedit, but by drag and drop, not by the regedit itself.

Xp54321

Startup Items

Post by Xp54321 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:04 pm

Startup items can be managed with easily managed w/ msconfig[Note: Requires restart w/ msconfig; most annoying; no restart needed with Revo uninstaller] (Start-->Run) or Revo Uninstaller which includes an autorun manager in its tools section. :)