Download.................

guardian830

Download.................

Post by guardian830 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:23 am

Of the two recent donloads I did, both had to be removed within one day. A download of MIGHTY MAX and AD-AWARE 2007 both produced enough problems that my system had severe problems with everything. Both downloads had what appeared to be "Trojans"/Viruses/etc. that the scanners spent the better part of a day cleaning everything out. The finale to all of this was when the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool picked-up several more infected files related to these downloads.

guardian830

Updates...............

Post by guardian830 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:28 am

From the experience I had, a continual(everyday-multiple times) check on the updates for the security features of your system seems advisable.

wehaveitall

Adaware?

Post by wehaveitall » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:59 am

Adaware isn't dangerous... It's from Lavasoft which is a very reputable company and is a spyware scanner designed to REMOVE spyware, not add it to your computer. Yes there are some fake scanners that really do add viruses to your computer, but adaware is not one of them. If you dont believe me, search lavasoft and see all the links to it, or try any site advisor and you'll see it's not dangerous. wot says it's safe, Finjan says it's safe, Mcafee site advisor says....

As for mighty max I don't know what download you're referring too as it according to the searches I did is a TV show. And microsoft security is not going to help you much. Windows firewall claims to be a very good firewall protecting you from all kinds of viruses when really, it does so little that if you didn't have it at all it wouldnt really matter. I'd suggest like me, getting bullguard. It comes with a firewall, antivirus scanner, antispyware scanner, email spamfilter, and online backup. And adaware would help a lot too.

AnonymousSpecial

But as far as AdAware is

Post by AnonymousSpecial » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:57 pm

But as far as AdAware is concerned, there shouldn't be any problem with it because it's recommended in many publications such as PC Adviser. I'm not sure about mighty max though.

The anti spyware tools that I tend to use are Spybot Search & Destroy and Windows defender. They both seem to be doing a pretty good job of things. If you have a router which most people seem to these days, a firewall isn't really needed because they don't let traffic through that isn't requested.

wehaveitall

Routers dont stop much

Post by wehaveitall » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:41 am

Routers still dont prevent viruses..

AnonymousSpecial

Yea I know. For virus

Post by AnonymousSpecial » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:02 pm

Yea I know. For virus protection I would recommend pretty much anything except Norton. Avoid at all costs. It may protect against viruses but it might as well be one itself.

Personally I prefer AVG or Avast

Philip

Ad-Aware 2007

Post by Philip » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:26 am

Reading the comment from guardian830, Ad-Aware 2007 after download appeared to have Trojan/Virus as did MIGHTY MAX, well i use the Ad-Aware 2007, its in use on my pc for years and it protects my pc, this program comes from the Lavasoft stable and is known world wide, its in the top lists for pc protection, this is the first time i have read a report complaining about it, wehaveitall also i read agrees with me. About three years ago Ad-Aware 2007 warned users that there were rogue programs on offer appearing to be Ad-Aware 2007, but were Adware 2007 and AD-WARE 2007, at that time it may have read 2005, i suggest this is what has happened to guardian830, or it was MIGHTY MAX, or a download from a bad site.

Philip

Seattle John

The problem is Not Ad-Aware, but...

Post by Seattle John » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:11 pm

keeping 'em straight ! Ad-Aware is a highly touted anti-spyware program from a very reputable firm. If you downloaded it from them, it shouldn't be a problem. However, some hackers love to get trusted programs and introduce their brand of evil into them and then distribute them to anybody they can. I would suspect the source more than the program.

Seattle John

Two knock-off sites

Post by Seattle John » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:26 pm

I recently heard of a couple sites 'pretending to be Firefox'. They offer downloads, then offer service warranties ($20-$60).Neither has ANY affiliation with mozilla. The first one has a site that would fool most viewers. It looks very 'mozillaish'...but it AINT !

firefox-2008.com.
safecomputer.com

They are both FRAUDS ! I gave them red XXXs.
If you want to see sophisticated looking knock-offs, these are it. Each has links to other sites (probably in-house sites). They were coming up on 1st page google searches.

I have seen posts from people who actually got ripped off by them. PayPal has actually refunded one's payment. If PayPal is refunding, you know they are bad.