Exterminate It! Antimalware situation

Nulander

Yes, I already know this. I

Post by Nulander » Fri May 21, 2010 2:38 pm

Yes, I already know this. I was just asking if there's even someone out there that decided to steal an open-source work place a fake brand and spread it as a product made by their own.
And, if I don't remember bad, a read a Rogue-AV review in a website some weeks ago. Other than showing off how the payment process involved 3 different domains, in the end, the AV signature patterns data was of ClamAV one.
-----
MF IT-UESC - Protecting your Digital Experience. Now.

Jazspeak

Re: "decided to steal an open-source work"

Post by Jazspeak » Fri May 21, 2010 6:22 pm

There is no problem with using an Open Source program as a basis for personal 'improvements'. Indeed, Open Source is meant to be able to be tweaked by a user, and it is not theft to do so.

Ideally, any particularly nice tweaks of other Open Source software should be made available as Open Source for others to use. However, it would be unethical to use Open Source software as a basis for making money.

c۞g

re: hpHosts

Post by c۞g » Sat May 22, 2010 2:52 am

"green" does not mean "good" it simply means "not listed" there is no reference to the domain, it has not [yet] been added to the database.

Well

Post by Guest » Sat May 22, 2010 8:15 am

I'm not sure if Exterminate-it is good or not ,but they spam various places promoting
their product.If it's any good why would they need to advertise it that way?

Kraftwerk

Re:

Post by Kraftwerk » Sat May 22, 2010 8:37 am

I agree, but this is a reason to comment it as spam only. If you are sure that they spammed and not maybe a competitor..

Blueberrycake Level Member of the WOT Community

Yeah

Post by Guest » Sat May 22, 2010 9:16 am

I did just comment as spam,but after that they spammed my scorecard saying I had a free full version. they wanted contact information.like my email,so that makes me a little more skeptical.

Nulander

I think that

Post by Nulander » Sat May 22, 2010 11:22 am

I think that Trojan-Scareware/Fraud-Tool/Ransomware producers are not so much interested in considering the "Ethical" part of their activities, when they perpetrate their fraud activities.
-----

Nulander

It should be better IMHO,

Post by Nulander » Sat May 22, 2010 11:30 am

It should be better IMHO, add on the Wiki a page where listing informations about not-so-much-know-brand AVs, utilities etc. in order to ease the activity of people ratings these tools, inseriting in such pages all the findings resulting from the investigations conducted, in order to avoid any twisting of the relative scorecards done by innocent raters get scammed by Scareware and rating them good (where instead there's a malicious activity on act and a system compromission not found by them).

Like the reference pages presented by SpamTrackers.eu (the same logic).
These could be filled even by people and volunteers that have the opportunity to dig more informations about them (ex. testing them on VMs, reverse-engineering them etc.), without that the results get lost on the forum and could be easily referenced on scorecard-ratings. This would even present a "Wanted Dead or Alive" page for all the scam-producers out there and works like a deterrent for all who want have a QoS Guideline checklist to assure a good rating for themselves.
-----

c۞g

WOT wiki

Post by c۞g » Sat May 22, 2010 4:38 pm

is all things WOT and if specific information is mentioned on the site: support / blog / forum then it is not to be copied, but linked to instead as mentione in Guidelines section of WOT wiki.

It took a long time to convince WOT Staff to install a wiki; many early members have placed vast amounts of information elsewhere such as Google Groups - some of them are not as active as they used to be and the information has never made it "into" the official wiki.

I'm not sure if WOT wants a wiki centered on: Spam / Scam / Phish - if they did, they would have set one up. Placing those pages in a WOT "manual / user guide" wiki is... offtopic to the [current] wiki's purpose.

IF one were to be set up...
Who would do all the extensive investigation required along with screen captures, etc? That is a lot of work. When I do a "dig" it's rather simple. I neither have the time, the training, nor the resources to determine "the man at the top." (but I am working on a couple "digs" at the moment).

c۞g

exterminate-it.com

Post by c۞g » Sat May 22, 2010 5:37 pm

Note: Dear users please note that Exterminate It! is free to scan and detect the malware in your system. Malware removal is a paid feature.

When a security product offers a "free download" that offers only a scan with no remedy / removal until paid for, those "free scans" usually result with exaggerated claims of "infections" (AV) or "problems" (reg. cleaner). This is a marketing tactic designed to cause shock, anxiety, or the perception of a threat.

These forms of software are classified as [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scareware t=_self]Scareware[/url] and are referenced as being [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_software t=_self]rogue[/url]

It had appeared here:
http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/soft/4477077/
which is purely promotional and does not change the standard marketing practices of FP's (only in the "trial" version?)

MBAM forum had a discussion starting back in 2008 about it - rated based on that discussion and specifically [url=http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=5928&view=findpost&p=45171 t=_self]this post[/url]
I did a scan and your software wants $ to remove what it has found , this is unconscionable . If the user has malware that will capture their payment information then you have just traded a couple of bucks for potentially destroying their credit .
THAT is why "free to try, pay to fix" malware removers are ROGUE - every single one of them. <= period.