Exterminate It! Antimalware situation

Indeed it is

Post by Guest » Sat May 22, 2010 9:18 pm

"That is a lot of work."
You can say that again!

And to do the testing of these rogues, to make it most accurate, you would need to do it on a machine dedicated to testing. I've done a few, but they are approximations done with my VM, and though it's good enough to demonstrate the scareware/rogue nature of the software, it is certainly not a dedicated "machine" . . . I do other stuff with it.

So, you would need not only a dedicated testing machine, but a dedicated person also. Sounds like a full time paid position to me. I doubt seriously if WOT wants to do that.

Nulander

Maybe you're true, but

Post by Nulander » Sat May 22, 2010 10:56 pm

Maybe you're true, but something tells me that these ideas has been put in idle due to a leak of manpower.

Just to pointing out, we are ad the end of May and the new site has not been implemented yet. Probably is only this.

Even about some my requests for the forum (ex. adding a survey functionality on it) and some more sections on Tags. No one answered officially saying "Yes, no". Only we have discussed, but Sami didn't say anything (if I don't remember bad). This could mean that he cannot afford any more duties right know (being satured with what is doing right now).

And introduction of WIKI could find a reason in order to improve the quality of the ratings, so this would fit with the objectives of WOT. I don't mean adding a lot of informations that should be handled by an another indipendent entity but if someone can have the ability to add some more WOT-Research findings on the official Wiki, this would help all here.

Just my two cents, don't intend my post as an argument of anything. Just considering some aspects, in relax. Nothing more.
-----
MF IT-UESC - Protecting your Digital Experience. Now.

c۞g

ideas

Post by c۞g » Sun May 23, 2010 12:19 am

The ideas are good and you're not being "mistaken."

The Forums are where we can post our findings of spam / scam / phish / rogue / malware. Why would we need another form of storage? The only thing I can see that a wiki could benefit over these forums are a user created index (table of contents) that makes it easier to find the reference. Now if someone wanted to search through these forums, and create a thread reference on the wiki that linked back to the topics... go for it. It might even help maintaining "topic integrity" meaning.. reduce the number of related topics - though one would have to search through this wiki article index first before posting.

WOT website: everything, scorecards, site: blog, forums are built on Drupal so do not expect these forums to operate like phpBB or SMF or similar - they're not built the same way. It would be like comparing apples to oranges. ;-)

Jtaylor83

Got the same spam comment on my board from Antony70

Post by Jtaylor83 » Sun May 23, 2010 1:29 am

I got the same spam comment from Antony70 who appeared to be the owner of the site. Accused me of giving this site bad criticism and bad ratings. Had to change my rating to other and yellow. Wanted me to try his product with the mywot free trial code. Bleh.

I got to say bad businesses just want to silence critics. We have rights to criticize bad sites. This is free speech.

Suggested before?

Post by Guest » Sun May 23, 2010 5:06 am

"The only thing I can see that a wiki could benefit over these forums are a user created index (table of contents) that makes it easier to find the reference."
I think phantazm may have suggested something like that in one of the threads on these rogue issues. (Uniblue or Regcure or FinallyFast maybe?)

c۞g

re: suggestion

Post by c۞g » Sun May 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Anyone who registers as a member of this forum is also a registered user for the wiki...

Jazspeak

Echo

Post by Jazspeak » Sun May 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Good idea, and perhaps all of the registered members of this forum could act as moderators for any entries in the proposed wiki so that the entries can be confirmed as reliable. Indeed, the entries could initially be on a 'trial period' during which time at least two other members should confirm the substance of the entries before those entries become fixed into the wiki.

Nulander

> THAT is why "free to try,

Post by Nulander » Mon May 24, 2010 8:42 pm

> THAT is why "free to try, pay to fix" malware removers are ROGUE - every single one
> of them. <= period.

This is like a social engineered scareware/ransomware. They scare you and oblige you to pay in order to get a rid of the scam found. Is all psychological and it works.
-----

QuickMan

Antony70

Post by QuickMan » Mon May 24, 2010 8:46 pm

Seems inactive right now. I sent him a message on his board and never answered back.

Nulander

This is a web reputation

Post by Nulander » Mon May 24, 2010 8:48 pm

This is a web reputation service. Our canonical way to give ratings greatly depends on multiple factors and not only if the software X is absolutely safe or not. Considering this fact, we could red rate the website only for this kind of threatening done by the owner of the tool, against to us.

If the software is legit and useful, why threat who leave the ratings? For what reason? A good guy has nothing to get scared of by them, don't you think? Expecially here that all the partecipants has always shown great preciseness on their analysis.

Coming here and start to moan about inaccuracy of ratings, incapability of the users to give a objective consideration about them etc. only shown how this guy try to get a rating without blowing on dust and get noticed. And I repeat, if you have anything to hide, why you act like this?

2 + 2 continue to result to 4. ;-)
-----