Official download site of VLC Media Player infected

Dutch Mountain

Official download site of VLC Media Player infected

Post by Dutch Mountain » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:19 pm

It appears that the official download site ( hxxps://videolan.org ) of the French designers of "VLC Media Player" is infected.
After the download my PC was behaving weird and I did a check with MBAM.
Even after that I still had 32 PUPs on my PC coming from hxxps://slimware.com
This site belongs to a diet company in NY - USA

<red> RATED
videolan.org
slimware.com</red>

And commented, see scorecards.
Be careful !

* The full story that explains is too much to post here, but can be read in a warning blog on my site hxxps://peterswebsafety.com/spams-scams-news-blog/ <em> ( link disabled but mentioned here, bcoz my board is invisible )</em>

spectre

Re: Official download site of VLC Media Player infected

Post by spectre » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:58 am

Slimware Utilities Holdings, Inc. (slimware.com) was purchased by Mindspark / IAC Applications (iacapps.com) / Smiley Central last year.
See
  • forum.mywot.com/reputation-discussions-f5/iaccap-com-and-other-adware-providers-t4185.html
  • forum.mywot.com/reputation-discussions-f5/regarding-mindspark-com-smileycentral-com-iac-com--t23332-s10.html
  • forum.mywot.com/reputation-discussions-f5/starnet-interactive-inc-a-mindspark-company-t21260.html
It now offers dubious apps which contain PuPs -
EG: virustotal.com/en/file/0d57cff21a8b92dc7bc97da7ea6692c0feae0e0fb5631689812ba37e8ab77a0e/analysis/1515553990/

Apparently they now also own HomeAdvisor, Vimeo, Dictionary.com, The Daily Beast, and Match Group's online dating portfolio, which includes Match.com and Tinder :evil: I would advise members to avoid all these sites.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:09 am

Have you confirmed the infection came from the official VLC download? I contacted them via Twitter DM and they deny their software is infected.
VLC is a legitimate media player which has been safe for many years and I have never had any issues with their official downloads, across Windows, Windows 10, Linux, and Android.

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 am

@ Site rater
One can only publish on the internet if you're absolutely sure.
What happened : During the download and install procedure I had the usual anouncements on small pop up screens where the software needs permittance to enter your computer. Nothing unusual and I clicked "Yes"

Besides that I also had pop ups where additional ( rubbish ) software was suggested to download / install.
There I removed all checkmarks and closed these windows.
One of them was an offer to install "Windows driver utilities".
Though I also removed the checkmark(s) and shut that window, it appears to have invaded my PC.
I"m not a real fan of downloading software and very careful.
In the last months I didn't install whatever, so where else should this come from.

This is what happened and I can't find another explanation for the PUPs

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm

I just tried the latest download myself from videolan.org, and it did not install anything suspicious, and nothing came up on a Malwarebytes scan.

Dutch Mountain

Post by Dutch Mountain » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:45 pm

Weird !
I don't understand this, also when you consider Shazza's post.

Added : Checked the scorecard of videolan.org and it appears that more members have reported malware.
Member "zTrust" even posted a VT result in July 2017 with a trojan detection.
Link to VT : https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/6000 ... 1500751531