Online Pharmacy Ratings Undermine WOT Credibility and Uninsured Americans

RE: Online Pharmacy Ratings Undermine WOT Credibility and Uninsu

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:52 am

There is one issue that is not being considered. They don't sell drugs, but verify pharmacies for the legitimacy of the product they sell.. and they have been validated by PLoS One as accurate at such validation.

Anyhow I have decided to take this in a different direction, and involve NABP in conversation..
I'll let you know of the answers as soon as I have completed discussion with them.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:56 am

<quote user="superhero58">
@ Scientific Frontline =

I am sorry that I did not explain myself better, but as I told you I was so upset that I went out for a cigarette, until realized I did not smoke

It was a hectic day, Heidi
Edit =
[/quote]

I understand that all too well dear one, been hectic around here also.

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:10 am

<quote user="bobjam">
So it's state law versus federal law in some cases?

Does legality have anything to do with safety?
[/quote]

If the drugs are really from Canada through legitimate channels, no. They're the same drugs. The US drug companies ship them to Canada and the online pharmacies mail them back. They're cheaper in Canada because the Canadian government sets the prices, as do most governments in Europe, I believe. Since the US is about the only government that refuses to consider any price controls, prices are correspondingly higher in the US, so that we foot the entire bill for R&D instead of it being spread equally among all patients who benefit.

The US also has huge marketing costs. Previously the FDA controlled this, but the Supreme Court ruled it was a violation of free speech, and the direct to consumer marketing campaign with its endless TV commercials was born. Think of the money spent for political campaigns, but there's no election to bring an end to it until the drug comes off patent 20 years later. It adds a massive amount of cost to the drugs. In addition to the ads consumers see, there are ads in medical journals, representatives that visit doctors' offices (often multiple representatives for each drug), educational conferences (the content is not determined by the drug companies, but they always just happen to be about diseases for which there are expensive new drugs available), and lunches for doctors' staffs so they can get a crack at talking to the doctors when they stop seeing patients long enough to eat. There are free samples for doctors to keep in their offices, and those are the primary source of free drugs to people who don't have prescription insurance.

The US tort system is also much more plaintiff friendly than Canada, where it's loser-pays. When different rights compete in the US, like the right to obtain health care vs. the right to bring a lawsuit, the lawsuit always gets priority. When you hear about how much Merck is paying out for Vioxx suits, be assured they don't have a printing press to create more money when they need it. It's part of the cost of doing business, and that cost is paid by consumers who buy their other drugs until those drugs go off patent.

As far as the patient assistance programs: Yes, they exist. Some companies' programs (like Merck's) are pretty helpful. Others are not. Frequently the programs are structured in such a way that if a patient doesn't qualify for medical assistance, they won't qualify for the manufacturer's program, either. Very few take into consideration the fact that patients may be able to afford one prescription from one manufacturer, but not multiple drugs from multiple manufacturers that total hundreds of dollars a month -- each company expects the patient to pay for their drug and to get the other manufacturers to provide charity. Almost all programs are a total pain in the butt for the doctor's office staff to deal with, which is why your doctor probably doesn't suggest them to more people.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:40 am

Note: PharmacyChecker.com
is not blacklisted by spamcop, the information isn't correct.
or blacklisted by anyone.
http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx ... hecker.com

Image&nbsp;

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:59 pm

SF's and AC's conclusion is that PharmacyChecker is legit then, not a pharmacy itself, and not listed as "bad" on NABP or LegitScript?

Don't mean to put words in anybodies mouth, which is why I phrased it as a question.

Would be nice if PharmacyChecker posted again in this thread (abbreviated, of course . . . not as lengthy as the OP).

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:20 pm

<quote user="bobjam">
SF's and AC's conclusion is that PharmacyChecker is legit then, not a pharmacy itself, and not listed as "bad" on NABP or LegitScript?

Don't mean to put words in anybodies mouth, which is why I phrased it as a question.

Would be nice if PharmacyChecker posted again in this thread (abbreviated, of course . . . not as lengthy as the OP).
[/quote]

Yes, at the moment that is my conclusion. They are a legit business that assures pharmacies, and the products from legal online pharmacies are up to required standards.
Although I'm still in open dialog with some sources.

As always I reserve the right to change my rating due to any new information that may arise.
I will also be more then happy to let you all know of any correction.

Image&nbsp;

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:27 pm

Two pages you might want to look at:
Verification:
hxxps://www.pharmacychecker.com/sealprogram/choose.asp
A list of Rogue Pharmacies:
hxxps://www.pharmacychecker.com/rogue-pharmacies.asp

Image&nbsp;

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:48 pm

<quote user="alphacentauri">
As far as the patient assistance programs: Yes, they exist. Some companies' programs (like Merck's) are pretty helpful. Others are not. Frequently the programs are structured in such a way that if a patient doesn't qualify for medical assistance, they won't qualify for the manufacturer's program, either. Very few take into consideration the fact that patients may be able to afford one prescription from one manufacturer, but not multiple drugs from multiple manufacturers that total hundreds of dollars a month -- each company expects the patient to pay for their drug and to get the other manufacturers to provide charity. Almost all programs are a total pain in the butt for the doctor's office staff to deal with, which is why your doctor probably doesn't suggest them to more people.
[/quote]

I've tried to get on some of the programs, and gave it up due to the hassle.

With Medicare Part D and with a secondary insurance, my monthly out of pocket still is about 500.00 a month.
We can pay it, yet it's tough. . . I have no clue how most do.

Image&nbsp;

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:34 pm

<quote user="scientific frontline">
I've tried to get on some of the programs, and gave it up due to the hassle.

With Medicare Part B and with a secondary insurance, my monthly out of pocket still is about 500.00 a month.
We can pay it, yet it's tough. . . I have no clue how most do.

Image&nbsp;

[/quote]

You mean "Part D"?

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:37 pm

<quote user="bobjam"> You mean "Part D"? [/quote] Yes I do indeed.

Actually Mandy corrected me before you, I just hadn't got back.

She handles all that crap for me.

She says I'm too mean when dealing with people like insurance matters. Nonsense, I can't see me being like that.

Too many parts.

So tell me, is yours just as worn out LOL

Image&nbsp;