Online Pharmacy Ratings Undermine WOT Credibility and Uninsured Americans

c۞g

RE: Online Pharmacy Ratings Undermine WOT Credibility and Uninsu

Post by c۞g » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Long thread
extremely long OP

excuse me if I haven't read the entire OP nor the replies; I just do not have that much time to involve myself with this topic.

What I did read of the OP:
We believe that a reputable online pharmacy is one at which orders placed for prescription medication will be filled by a licensed pharmacy, under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist, prescriptions are required, personal and financial information is protected, verifiable phone number and mailing address is published on the website, and genuine medication is dispensed.

@ pharmacychecker
Checking your list of approved pharmacies / "pharmacy affiliates" I see no information provided by either the site or the pharmacychecker profile page that identifies the pharmacist associated with the site, as per The Internet Pharmacy Consumer Protection Act
re: http://www.ryanscause.org/ryan-haight-bill.html

drug names referenced on pharmacychecker.com are all [affiliate] linked,to pharmacychecker "approved' sites.
example:
Abilify - hxxp://pharmacychecker.com/Strength.asp?DrugId=24894
first dosage link: 1 mg/ml - hxxp://pharmacychecker.com/Pricing.asp?DrugName=Abilify&DrugId=24894&DrugStrengthId=127484
resulting with:
  • canadrugs.com affiliate link: hxxp://pharmacychecker.com/CPCCLick.asp?GUID=9107882D-D207-4CBB-8B48-11A39884EF1E&DrugQuantityId=281441&DrugStrengthId=127484&Position=1
  • northwestpharmacy.com affiliate link: hxxp://pharmacychecker.com/CPCCLick.asp?GUID=8811E396-88C2-4A5A-93AD-DFBEDE5C3246&DrugQuantityId=276502&DrugStrengthId=127484&Position=2
  • etc., etc.
Interesting how there are no US pharmacies "approved" with pharmacychecker...

PharmachChecker.com encourages illegal activity by referencing non-US online pharmacies to US consumers though they provide the following disclaimer:
  • U.S. Law: U.S.
    government officials have stated that individuals who order non-controlled prescription drugs from Canada or other foreign sources (up to a three-month supply) for their own use are not being pursued or prosecuted. However, it is technically not legal for individuals to import most prescription drugs.
  • Coverage by Insurance:
    For a drug to be reimbursable from a health reimbursement account or flexible spending account it must be approved for sale in the U.S. and prescribed by a licensed U.S. physician, although drugs which you personally import are typically not reimbursable. If you have pharmacy insurance coverage, you may want to check with your benefits administrator to determine whether drugs ordered from outside the U.S. will be covered or reimbursed.

The OP title: Online Pharmacy Ratings Undermine WOT Credibility and Uninsured Americans
WOT credibility should ensure that laws are not broken when interacting with a website, where is PharmacyChecker's credibility?

As for uninsured Americans, there are [legal] resources available such as: http://www.healthcare.gov/
and Partnership for Prescription Assistance - http://www.pparx.org/

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:02 pm

Believe me, the prescription assistance plans help, but they are a very uneven safety net. If you have multiple sclerosis and require weekly shots of interferon, for instance, your Medicare simply won't cover it. The patient assistance plans just help you appeal denials, but they don't pay if it simply isn't part of your insurance coverage. Medicare Part D doesn't cover injectables. Parts A/B don't cover outpatient injectable medications. And interferons are phenomenally expensive. The same goes for TNF-alpha inhibitors for rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn's disease.

In my state, people with breast cancer, cervical cancer, HIV and schizophrenia have special programs to cover their treatment if they can't get insurance. People with colon cancer, asthma, diabetes, heart failure and everything else can't. It's a stupid system, where in order to get health coverage you need to create political movements to try to make your particular disease too much of a political hot potato for anyone to vote against funding it.

For the life of me I can't understand why people think being more like the Canadian system is something to be afraid of. The Canadians would be horrified if their system were more like ours. Yes, there are Canadians who come to particular US centers of excellence for treatment. But guess what? People from all over the US go to those same centers, because some types of expertise can't be gained without treating a lot of patients with a particular rare disease. But if you're an American with the wrong kind of insurance, going out of network or out of area to one of those centers simply isn't an option for you, even though Canadians can get treatment there.

/rant

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:00 am

<quote user="alphacentauri">
/rant
[/quote]Darn good rant!

The USA federal law that blocks access to affordable medicine is reprehensible and I condemn it. As an ethical matter, I will not use it as criteria to adversely rate websites.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:34 pm

Canada or other foreign sources (up to a three-month supply) for their own use are not being pursued or prosecuted. However, it is technically not legal for individuals to import most prescription drugs.
The reasoning is pretty clear-cut in my opinion.
Keep in mind they will go after you for an once a marijuana. So why not a three month supply of medication. Simply because they realize the need for such sources of medication and the absurdity of the law.

My local pharmacy won't fill more then a three month supply either.
Reason for not doing so is also simple. Anymore is considered possible abuse of illegal distribution.

The Public Library of Science study confirms that the medication from Verified online pharmacies check by Pharmacy Checker passed spectrometry tests for medication authenticity.

The debate is over in my opinion, and time for you all to make a decision.

Though there is some matters I would like to see Pharmacy Checker to work on.

One. Get better control of your affiliates, though you're not spamming they are doing so.
Two. Provide easy means to report spamming by them. This is your reputation they are destroying.
Three. Update your "Rouge Pharmacy" list on a regular basis. Work with other source to keep you lists current.
Four. Submit your lists of know illegal pharmacies to other sources, including WoT would go a long ways in Trustworthiness.

Keep in mind that "We Will Be Watching You."
I can turn into a [red]"UNFRIENDLY"[/red] in a heartbeat, and will not hesitate to do so!

Here is the Scorecard
Rate as you wish, that is your right here at WoT.
Leaving a comment is always desirable.

Image&nbsp;

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:45 pm

<quote user="notbuyingit">
The USA federal law that blocks access to affordable medicine is reprehensible and I condemn it. As an ethical matter, I will not use it as criteria to adversely rate websites.[/quote]

It's not just US law.
The position of CBP is that in virtually all instances, individual citizens are prohibited from importing prescription drugs into the United States

Understand that Canadian Pharmacies can lose their license if they distribute prescription medications cross border.
In-fact, it's been fairly recent (Septemebr 2010) that it's now illegal to ship tobacco products from Canada to the US

When a US citizen purchases prescription medications from a Canadian pharmacy, the drugs are drop-shipped from another location (India for example) so the Canadian pharmacy does not break any Canadian laws. You can find reference to this by searching user: Legitscript posts in this forum or visiting Legitscript's blog.

As far as access to affordable medication...
I do not think that importation is the solution, but rather, current political process is the problem.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:56 pm

<quote user="g7w">
I do not think that importation is the solution, but rather, current political process is the problem.
[/quote]

You're right on the money!
Nicely stated.
Yet till that is fixed, glad that Pharmacy Checker is there trying to keep it safe.
People are going to buy online, they have no real choice.
The red tape to get help is mind-boggling and very very timely.

Anyhow, your rebuttal / viewpoint is appreciated.
One should always look at all the angles.

Image&nbsp;

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:43 pm

<quote user="scientific frontline">
[snip]
Pharmacy Checker is there trying to keep it safe.[/quote]
questionable
Pharmacychecker does NOT display pharmacy / pharmacist information concerning their approved websites - all oine is given is their "personal assurance"
Pharmacychecker has one objective - to make profit.
They do not care if the individual consumer adheres to law (exapmled with their "disclaimer"), nor can they assure that pharmacy_xyz.com is actually distributing medication from the pharmacy's location - as I pointed out, it is illegal for Canadian pharmacies to ship medications to US residents.

Look at cheapodrugs.com
whois registration data is hidden: http://www.who.is/whois/cheapodrugs.com/
view their contact page where it states:
CheapoDrugs.com is not a pharmacy, we are a broker that works with licensed partner pharmacies to market affordable international medication.
cheapodrugs.com uses a financial payment processor (they display an image instead of text on cheapodrugs.com)
Coral Beach Services Ltd.
Suite 301, 3rd Floor
The Cable Building, Canyon St.
Basseterre, St. Kitts

To put this in context, consider our expose of CheapoDrugs.com.
That Internet pharmacy became an approved Yahoo! advertiser by virtue of showing a Canadian pharmacy license (the same one used by CanadaDrugs.com) to PharmacyChecker, following which it was approved as meeting PharmacyChecker’s full set of verification criteria. But remember, the purpose of a Canadian pharmacy license is to dispense drugs from a Canadian pharmacy. Despite claiming to be Canadian, that Internet pharmacy says it cannot do business in Canada because it would be illegal to import prescription drugs into Canada. (Repeat: This “Canadian” Internet pharmacy says it can do business anywhere but Canada. Sound fishy?) And the website told us, when we asked, that the drugs would be routed into the US from India via Barbados.

My rating for [red]pharmacychecker.com[/red] remain as is
BTW, my previous comment referencing NABP was accurate *at that time* (05 September 2010) since the domain was listed:
http://www.nabp.net/programs/consumer-p ... ded-sites/
If you notice, pharmacychecker.com approved pharmacies are listed with NABP
I have submitted a new comment, since pharmacychecker.com no longer appears on NABP's "list."

FYI
spamcop.net references simply mean the domain was identified as being referenced within [email] spam as a link, it does not mean the domain itself is a spammer. In some instances, spamvertised domains are victims of unethical marketing practices.

annejazz

Post by annejazz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:00 am

<quote user="g7w">
It's not just US law.
The position of CBP is that in virtually all instances, individual citizens are prohibited from importing prescription drugs into the United States

Understand that Canadian Pharmacies can lose their license if they distribute prescription medications cross border.
In-fact, it's been fairly recent (Septemebr 2010) that it's now illegal to ship tobacco products from Canada to the US

When a US citizen purchases prescription medications from a Canadian pharmacy, the drugs are drop-shipped from another location (India for example) so the Canadian pharmacy does not break any Canadian laws. You can find reference to this by searching user: Legitscript posts in this forum or visiting Legitscript's blog.

[/quote]

It is to bad that alot of people use these illegal websites to get their medication that they really need at a low price just because their gov does not want any kind of importation to happen.
Then what happens is lots of those illegal low priced drug websites get shut down and then more and more people moan because then they have to pay a high price to get their drugs legally.

When something is legal and it costs far much more to buy and can also take more time to even get to you, then that could cost lives at the end of the day.
It is no wonder that so many people use these so called "Illegal websites" because the illegal route is the better route in the end.

This is why I get annoyed whenever I see automatic WOT ratings for drug websites from Legitscript following users saying that the website is illegal or is a scam website....etc when in fact., the website is normally used by many happy customers who just want their medication to come to them at a cheap price and at a fast rate.

Other customers may be transgender and DIY is far much more faster to do then going the legal route where you have to see a doctor and go through loads of steps to even be able to start taking hormones and the legal route could take years and this can be hell to alot of transgender people. Some transgender (Like me) can get so depressed when they are not on hormones that they self harm themselves and think about taking their own lives.

So for people like me, these illegal websites are a god send because I can buy hormones and feel at peace in my mind while I go the legal route since I could never handle the legal route without taking hormones.
This is why I hate those comments from Legitscript because sometimes Legitscript shuts down the website and then I start to panic because I can not buy my hormones and so I have to look around for another website to buy from.
Those comments annoy me so much though because soon I will not have any websites left and then I will really be in a panic.

I also automatically ignore any comments made through the mass rating tool or ones where a user has posted a topic and said to rate it a certain way and then everyone automatically rates it that way without even looking at the website.
This really goes for websites which sell products because unless you actually buy from the website or look up reviews from other customers from said website then you really should not be rating it because you know nothing about the website (This applies to all users who use that mass rating tool)

So yeah...

alphacentauri

Post by alphacentauri » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:28 am

We're getting way off topic, but:

One thing that a lot of Americans don't realize is that there are federally sponsored nonprofit health clinics where care and medications are provided based on ability to pay. The drug companies are required by the feds to sell them drugs at a steep discount, and the insurance companies are required to reimburse at the same rate that they do for any other pharmacy. The clinics are required to use the difference to provide subsidized care to un-/under-insured patients. Other nonprofit centers might be able to do this on a more limited basis if they participate in federal programs like family planning. You might contact your congressional representatives to see where a center may be located close to you. At least in the city where I live, there are quite a few. The lines may be long, but the doctors are very good and very dedicated. (They could be making a lot more money doing something else, that's for sure!)

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:43 am

[cite]He saw in the hall, all huddled together, the heroes asleep. Then laughed in his heart, the hideous fiend; he hoped ere dawn to sunder body from soul of each... (Quoted from BeoWulf; an early English poem)[/cite]

People, didn't you notice the OP has not left any reply yet? From my point of view, someone threw a bone into the courtyard and now the dogs are fighting over it. Let's get back to business and rate websites before this thread starts to become a time-waster full of political opinions and stuff. Just an idea...