Please rate this site down

Please rate this site down

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:05 am

@All =
I will like to have your rating on this site , for what ever the reason it remains in appearence a trusted site or green
https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/vampirefreaks.com
In reality the site have been in the news for the very disturbing reasons
As you can see at the Who is
http://whois.domaintools.com/vampirefreaks.com
The site is by proxy with hidden registry
You may want to visit to check for other problems , though I recommend not to , as is quite disturbing
This is link to a News official site , and though is safe to visit , out of respect for the forum , I will not leave it live
htxxtp://www.miamiherald.com/2013/03/07/3273105/ ... r-sex.html#
He met the teen through a social networking website called VampireFreaks.com, a site that has been stung by reports of users committing rapes and murders.
This is not an isolated case and I have my out most respect for right to free speech , but in this case , this freedom have been used by pedophiles to prey on minors
But like other social networking sites, VampireFreaks has come under scrutiny because of bizarre and violent criminal behavior linked to users.

The most high-profile case: In 2007, 15-year-old girl, Carly Ryan, was found murdered in South Australia. She met her killers, a father-and-son duo, through the website.

In 2006, a 12-year-old Canadian girl and her 23-year-old boyfriend, both users of the site, were arrested and later convicted for the murders of her parents and 8-year-old brother.

In May 2010, Minnesota authorities charged a Scottish man with exchanging sexually explicit photos with a 14-year-old girl through the site. The man, who was not extradited, went by the online moniker: Master Alucard — Dracula spelled backward.
I am aware that their users surpass a million , but we can turn it red and maybe save a life
Thank you

c۞g

vampirefreaks.com

Post by c۞g » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:37 am

Vampires "are in" thanks to stepheniemeyer.com and her Twilight series
So sites likes this become more popular, until the next big fad.

Whether it's domain registration is hidden or not and as tragic as your referenced examples are, the site did not encourage, initiate, aid, or partake in those off-the-Net events.

Internet homicide
and before the Internet there were cases where assailant / victim met through newspaper (printed) classified advertisements.

Heavy metal music has been claimed to "encourage suicide" in young people, I think Ozzy was sued a few times and there was Judas Priest's trial which set precedences

I never held a musician liable for the actions of a listener, nor a newspaper for the actions of a reader, so I'll decline to offer ratings for this site as the "cause" of ...

However, the content displayed is more adult related than it is child friendly, so I've rated that component [red]poor[/red]

RE: Please rate this site down

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:52 pm

I agree with what c۞g said above, you simply cannot persecute a site because of the actions of a very small handful of registered users that preyed on other members. That's like saying Hollywood is responsible for OJ Simpsons murders.

[cite]This is not an isolated case and I have my out most respect for right to free speech , but in this case , this freedom have been used by pedophiles to prey on minors[/cite]
The insinuation the site is a being used by pedophiles is also wrong. One pedophile was indentified as using the site to groom a 14 year old girl. Sexual predators will use any site or service to get access to those they desire no matter what age the intended victim is. Should WOT also be turned red on your reasoning because some (or one) of the 60 million users have commintted and been convicted of CP crimes which could have involved other WOT users they befriended?

[cite]I am aware that their users surpass a million , but we can turn it red and maybe save a life[/cite]
Should we turn car manufacturers, Gun makers/suppliers, etc, red to save a life! Not exactly a very good idea or a reason to warrant this action, is it?

[red]rated red for adult viewing only[/red]

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:14 pm

@COG =

I thank you for your rate =

As for your example

No one from a heavy metal group interacted directly with a minor; as an adult will make that decision, let it be a parent or guardian, in order to go to a concert or buy a record

@anyone else =

The lack of secured content and the way in which the site violates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%2 ... ection_Act

It should be enough to remove this site as it violates C.O.P.A's law

I guarantee you, that all this will change in the near future

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%2 ... ection_Act

Vote whichever way you consider to be, the right vote in your opinion

I am not a lawyer not do I care to be one, but this, is in my opinion is way too much

Whoever wants to vote it red ........................... thank you, but do not expect me to engage in a useless argument

I am not for it

As far as I know, this is the first time in which I bring a site, requesting to rate it down and I will appreciate that vote

Thank you

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:47 pm

Can you prove children under the age of 13 are signing up and using the forum in breech of Coppa rules or is this an assumption on your part?

The site clearly states:
[cite]Users under the age of 13 are not allowed to create profiles on this site.[/cite]
hxxp://vampirefreaks.com/privacy.php

Try to create an account there with a birthdate under 13 years and your registration will be rejected. Did you try that?

If a child wants to register on any site they will give fake dates of birth and COPPA will do nothing to stop that.

Next, they are not a K-12 school or library so CIPA is not relevent that I can tell.

Agreed, you are not a lawyer and neither am I but had you read the wiki articles you would have come to the same conclusion I did.

Regarding the @anyone else =, it's obvious that you are referring to me and what you deem are useless arguements. On the contrary my points are very valid and not confrontational. Is it that hard to respond to them and ensure the site is properly reviewed?

[cite]As far as I know, this is the first time in which I bring a site, requesting to rate it down and I will appreciate that vote[/cite]
It's good you have done this BUT you give the impression you are on a crusade and show ignorance to facts which discredit your allegations.

c۞g

Post by c۞g » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:07 pm

<quote user="superhero58">No one from a heavy metal group interacted directly with a minor; as an adult will make that decision, let it be a parent or guardian, in order to go to a concert or buy a record[/quote]
Kids buy records whether or not their parents are asked / notified / aware.

By your statement, it is the parents responsibility to...
that should also include which websites the child visits and especially which websites the child registers an account with.

As for registering... kids lie to "get in"
A COPPA compliance merely states that the site does not knowingly collect information from children under 13. If a 12 year old lied, that's not the site's fault.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:02 pm

By your statement, it is the parents responsibility to...
that should also include which websites the child visits and especially which websites the child registers an account with.
I imagine that at this time , it may not make sense , in my opinion it would be a good idea , but is just an opinion that may not be politically correct and difficult to enforce , perhaps impossible
[cite]They met and allegedly engaged in sexual activity. Police were tipped off, and he was arrested. In California[/cite]
, even if minors lie about their age, they still cannot give consent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampirefreaks.com
I guess those days in which parents , could dictate what their children could do , are gone though I am glad that my parents had a different opinion
I have brought this site as an untrustworthy site , actually downright unacceptable for minors and I am not embarrassed to bring it to the forum
I rated it accordingly to my opinion , but I have also rated red , FB and other social sites ,knowing quite well that some parents have helped their [ minors ] children to sign in sites that states clearly that minors are not allowed , which is quite shocking
But yes the parents should be involved , but it does not give sites a free pass , when it comes to a secured and transparent website
Edit =
[cite]we do not take responsibility for anything that users publish on the site. This service is provided as-is, and we do not make any claims as to the quality of service. [/cite]
htxxtp://vampirefreaks.com/privacy.php

Reverse Whois:
"Domains By Proxy, LLC" was found in about 11,694,744 other domains
Registrar History:
2 registrars
NS History:
8 changes on 5 unique name servers over 9 years.
IP History:
19 changes on 14 unique IP addresses over 9 years.
Whois History:
942 records have been archived since 2003-08-19 .
Dedicated Hosting:
vampirefreaks.com is hosted on a dedicated server.
Preview the complete Domain Report for vampirefreaks.com

[cite]Registered through: GoDaddy.com, LLC (hxxttp://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: VAMPIREFREAKS.COM

Registrant:
Domains By Proxy, LLC

Domain servers in listed order:
NS49.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS50.DOMAINCONTROL.COM[/cite]
http://whois.domaintools.com/vampirefreaks.com
A poor privacy policy and by proxy site , with adult content
http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/results/vampirefreaks.com
Listed for Spam

Not a place to be trusted !

Armored

Post by Armored » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:15 am

I checked the site out. It's a piece of crap.

Collects to much PII(complete contact details) without SSL
Uses at least 26 trackers, drops numerous cookies-PP is insufficient

They have an online music store with the sub-domain URL:
[red]music.vampirefreaks.com[/red]
I could not locate a physical address on the site, and they have a hidden WHOIS even though they are a vendor.
Oh, and one more thing, this is by far the worst: They collect peoples [red]credit card details without SSL![/red] when purchasing music from this sub-domain.
Interestingly they do have an SSL certificate, but it's not applied to this sub-domain, and apparently doesn't work on all browsers.
I needed to create a "trash" account in order to investigate the non-existent security of their online store.
I don't even want to talk about the "content" of this website.

[red] RATED RED - COMPLETELY! [/red]

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:53 am

<quote user="armored">I checked the site out. It's a piece of crap.[/quote]
The site is not my cup of tea either but this is just your opinion and will not be agreeable with a high portion of the current members or regular visitors there.

<quote user="armored">Collects to much PII(complete contact details) without SSL
Uses at least 26 trackers, drops numerous cookies-PP is insufficient

They have an online music store with the sub-domain URL:
[red]music.vampirefreaks.com[/red]
I could not locate a physical address on the site, and they have a hidden WHOIS even though they are a vendor.
Oh, and one more thing, this is by far the worst: They collect peoples [red]credit card details without SSL![/red] when purchasing music from this sub-domain.[/quote]

I can agree a red based on your digging and facts pointed out above (unlike the lame reasons given by the op).

Armored

Post by Armored » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:56 pm

<quote user="issviews">
The site is not my cup of tea either but this is just your opinion and will not be agreeable with a high portion of the current members or regular visitors there.
[/quote] My opinion of it being a piece of crap was based on the security issues the site has, not the content.
If current regular visitors would disagree with that, it's because they are ignorant of basic online security. Whether it's somebodies cup of tea or not is irrelevant to the fact that this website IS crappy:)
<quote user="issviews">
I can agree a red based on your digging and facts pointed out above (unlike the lame reasons given by the op).
[/quote] Just to be clear, I wasn't arguing against your earlier objections I tend to agree with them.