Please review my site : 2-viruses.com

@ Destination Truth

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:15 pm

[cite]Though if you could rate some areas green, what would they be, and why not do so in just those categories, with a link to your post here. Just a thought.[/cite]

Reasonable points.
I think I should consider that the 1st website has not been updated since 2009.
I do not think any user can be still infected by those old rogue which in the most of cases are no longer in the wild.

So I shall follow your example;)
Thank you

The Shadow

Missing solution

Post by The Shadow » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:37 am

Both sites boast that they have solutions for Windows users who have been infected with malicious software. Many solutions are heavily dependent upon the use of additional software packages (free and commercial) to achieve this task.

However, I could not find instructions for the ultimate solution to remove infected files. Wiping the hard drive clean with a free program like Darik's Boot and Nuke, reformatting and performing a clean install of Windows, although extreme, is often necessary in some cases.

Perhaps I missed such an article. If so, could you please provide a link to that page.

charrox

Comments

Post by charrox » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:24 am

1.Regarding privacy -

2-spywares drop 4 cookies. So you should have a stronger privacy policy in regard to this.
Please see this as an example. http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/ . I am not affiliated to them but it seems thorough. This is my opinion.

2-viruses has a better privacy policy. I think it has a good one.

2.Vendor reliability

I think you are not selling anything directly, but affiliated to some major names in malware business. (Specially online delicacies.) But I disagree on manually removing files. Say a virus infects 1000s of boot sector files and affect the loading of windows, then wouldn't proactive defense being much better??

But, the instructions about rogues seem good. I have not checked all, but the ones I checked are ok.
The above comments are regarding 2-viruses.com.

Regarding 2-spyware , can you explain why there are two pages named http://www.2-spyware.com/ and http://www.2-spyware.com/# exist showing the same content?? Also, I am not a fan of UniBlue. All this means that you may loose vendor reliability if you choose to link onto sites which have a bad reputation. This is my opinion.

Other two factors I am not going to comment as they are subjective.

So, my opinion is that I can give a better rating for 2-viruses than 2-spyware. This is my opinion and others may differ.

Re...

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:56 am

Before conclusion anything i would like ask to @G7W ....How do u interpret a security software is trustworthy....
my analogies after reading your comments which provides scan+removal free within the trial period because one of your comment says something like that...See http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/6452-exte ... ment-34029
""When a security product offers a "free download" that offers only a scan with no remedy / removal until paid for, those "free scans" usually result with exaggerated claims of "infections" (AV) or "problems" (reg. cleaner). This is a marketing tactic designed to cause shock, anxiety, or the perception of a threat."""

here you have clearly stated These forms of software are classified as Scareware and are referenced as being rogue
And on the other hands you trust of a result of prevx...Which is completely similar to Exterminate...
See your comment http://www.mywot.com/en/forum/7679-plea ... ment-44396
''Clearly PrevX is detecting it

though on their website they explain

their VT scan results as not being malicious, the file is Spyware not Malware - look at the URL

How could you trust on prevx results..you are using avira antivirus as i know...
Have you tried prevx or not ?Just have a look...
Mr G7w your comments are a oxymoron...
according to your statement prevx is also a Scareware and you rate based upon a scareware application...

</>
BTW thanks DT for the PM...

Please review my site : 2-viruses.com -Any suggestions/comments?

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:21 am

@ giedrius = I have seen how hard you work here, and I trust you fully -

I will like you to follow the advice given to you by the other members, for the benefit of your site, not your reputation because as I said before I trust you, and therefore I consider you an honorable member -

I am rating in green, and I hope it gets better with my vote -

Disclaimer this rating has nothing to do, with the total fear of having my head replace a 70 pounds Salmon trophy in somebody's wall =

giedrius

There are malware/viruses

Post by giedrius » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:18 am

There are malware/viruses that requires reformat. That is recommended solution when PC can not boot, and can not be repaired easily AND there is no valuable data left.
Sadly, from my experience many users do not have working backups, so this is not an approach many users would find of value when they need to print report they worked on for couple days.
In my first impression, Darik's Boot and nuke is not appropriate solution. The most forms of malware will not survive hard boot and format from windows CD, especially with deleting partition prior reformat, maybe aditional fdisk /mbr :) The ones that would survive, are likely to survive Darik's Boot and Nuke too. It is more useful for data loss prevention while selling/ giving away a PC.
Second reason why reformating is not my preferred solution is following: After reformat, system restore, etc people will open same mail messages and use same websites like before. The end result will be the same, it just postpones the problem.

giedrius

http://www.2-spyware.com/ and

Post by giedrius » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:27 am

[cite]
http://www.2-spyware.com/

and http://www.2-spyware.com/#
[/cite]
# means anchor. It is used for navigating In the same page, or scrolling to specific location. It is not duplicate content for search engines (as far as I am aware). here an example : http://www.hypergurl.com/anchors.html
[cite]
Say a virus infects 1000s of boot sector files and affect the loading of windows, then wouldn't proactive defense being much better??
[/cite]
Sure it is better. I always recommend updating to decent internet security - ESET Smart security is my personal favorite.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_sector Boot sectors are only 2 in general : MBR, which is easily fixed by restoring default one with windows CD and volume one, which might require reinstall in some cases. While for major infection noone will delete 1000 files by hand, removing some forms of malware requires to kill malware tasks before downloading anything else. Thus manual instructions are necessary for starting automatic programs as well. Some people offer automated solutions : like rkill.com (by bleepingcomputers) which are good too as long as you can download and launch them.

Jazspeak

@ giedrius

Post by Jazspeak » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:32 pm

"many users do not have working backups".

Sigh. Will they never learn?

"The most forms of malware will not survive hard boot and format from windows CD, especially with deleting partition prior reformat".

The only malware that could survive partition deletion, reformat, and reinstall of OS are those that affect an unprotected BIOS. However, in modern computers the BIOS is usually protected by default.

As I have said many times previously, my preferred method of dealing with any suspicion of any infection is to wipe the drive and copy back from a previously prepared clone drive, and restore backed up files from removable media. I have found this method to be 100% effective at getting rid of any and all infections in a fraction of the time needed to find and remove the infection.

The OP sites could certainly be helpful for those users who have not previously taken steps to back up their important files but it would be good to see the OP sites place more emphasis on getting users to take proper pre-emptive measures such as drive cloning and backups.

Edit: When I say, "wipe the drive", I mean this to be partition deletion and reformat (at least three times). Since the clone drive already has the OS, registry, settings, and programs on it then there is no need to clean install an OS and go through the time-consuming palaver of setting up the computer to my specifications. Without wishing to appear promotional, I use Paragon Drive Copy to create the clone drive and to copy the clone back onto the main drive.

The Shadow

Interesting

Post by The Shadow » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:29 pm

[cite]"The ones that would survive, are likely to survive Darik's Boot and Nuke too."</cite.>

I have never read of any occurrence where DBAN failed to delete data from a hard drive, particularly since the process deletes all data and formatting. Could you please provide me with such evidence.

I also run GRC's SpinRite on hard drives that have been wiped with DBAN and it cannot find any trace of data.

charrox

@giedrius

Post by charrox » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Actually what I meant by /# page was that it automatically gets open in a new window even when I have the original page opened.
It is annoying!

Also, regarding boot sector viruses you can run programs using Hiren's boot CD and you can clean them up using an automatic process. Also, say that some files are deleted then, I would recommend a back up using any boot CD (they have many utilities) then try to repair using the windows iso. So a novice may not be using manual removal for boot sector damages as he/she might do more damage to the system than good if we don't do it properly.Therefore, I wouldn't recommend it to a novice.