Please review my site : 2-viruses.com

giedrius

Please review my site : 2-viruses.com

Post by giedrius » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:13 am

Hello,
I own website http://www.2-viruses.com ( I work with other websites that provide malware removal instructions as well, including http://www.2-spyware.com ).
Website provides manual removal instructions, also it provides links to software scanners, which are affiliated. Also, we provide free support in comments, similar to many forums. For example, Security Tool removal instructions has over 700 comments.
2-viruses.com was listed in hphosts, due to MMT, but this was resolved recently.
We changed banner texts to make them more precise and added disclosures in the process.

The website is affiliated with some security products, including mbam, spyware doctor, superantispyware comodo, etc. This is disclosed.
All legal documents can be found in footer.

Any suggestions/comments?

Hmm

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 am

It offers good removal instructions from what I can see.Your site does drop cookies..I could not find a privacy policy
Edit i found it now.

giedrius

Thank you. I assume that was

Post by giedrius » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:26 am

Thank you.
I assume that was caused by hphost listing in the past (prior introducing mmt rating, which is not imported in WOT ). Now 2-viruses.com is unlisted completely from hphosts.

c۞g

re: 2-viruses.com

Post by c۞g » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:25 am

Checked the whois - registration information is not private - thanks for that!

Cookies:
2-viruses.com = 4 [Google Analytics]
addthis.com = 2
cleverbridge.com = 1 [session]
google.com = 1 [tracking]

Privacy policy is present but weak concerning cookies, only Google Analytics is discussed.

There is no reference to digitalriver / affiliates (and the multiple tracking cookies you get by simply clicking on any "Download" banner link.

[cite]The website is affiliated with some security products, including mbam, spyware doctor, superantispyware comodo, etc[/cite]
I could only find references to Spyware Doctor (PCTools - very weak security software, but has high affiliate revenue potential).
All your "fix" or "remove" pages only mention Spyware Doctore in both text link and multiple image links. Looking at several "how to remove" pages, I have not found a link to MBAM or any other security site as your disclosure suggests re: 2-viruses.com/disclosure

2-viruses.com is only affiliated with PCTools since Spyware Doctor is the only [off-site] resource available for download [repair].

I'm not a big fan of DigitalRiver nor of "security affiliates" - if a security site has to rely upon affiliates to earn a profit, that doesn't say much about the security protection.. Might as well be UniBlue or Pareto ... As for "PCTools software" - that's a bit of an oxymoron.

For this reason I decline to rate.

giedrius

@gw7 You focused on how

Post by giedrius » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:51 am

@gw7

You focused on how money is earned rather than what the site is. Most if not all manual guides are valid and working. For example, the best way to remove security tool (older version) is just to end the processes just after computer restart, and delete the folder referenced on its icon. For new parasites, you might need to look for the malware longer, as locations change (though we provide that ), download process explorer, etc. Also, check comments on the guides - we provide support there as well.

It would be a lie saying that site does not earn money from malwarebytes. Malwarebytes link is present in sidebar of each guide together with download links to ESET Smart security (which is my favorite security program, though a bit to expensive to fix problems for my visitors). Many of the guides, and comments are referencing malwarebytes. Also, check resource section that we are filling now. I am planning to changing guides so other links would be in the guide itself, but it might be too complex for my visitors.

You are wrong about revenue potential of PC Tools. Actually, I know several tools, that have higher commissions. The key reason for PC Tools is that
a) it has bigger database than malwarebytes and many others, which focuses to limited set of malware only,
b) I do not need to explain much people what they do not get when they download Spyware Doctor. This is becoming more of a problem, as there are lots of people misleadingly advertising mbam as best free protection tool .Superantispyware starts on startup and provides no protection without actually disabling some buttons and even starts in user mode in Windows 7. and so on.

c) it is one of few commercial security tools that offer limited real time protection for free, which helps with some parasites (blocks them from being launched). That really helped against versions of (for example) Security Tool.

d) Significant amount of my visitors begin comment in one of another way with "Help, malwarebytes does not remove parasite/launch" .

[cite]if a security site has to rely upon affiliates to earn a profit, that doesn't say much about the security protection.. [/cite]
Most of paid security software uses affiliates (or contractors) and some other sort of advertisements. MBAM uses both extensively. Superantispyware uses affiliates and resellers. All of antiviruses do. For this there are several reasons, I could discuss this topic further, but I do not see a point.

Affiliate model in my opinion is better than contractor model (aka pay people fixed amount of money for promoting) which is what several companies use. Believe me, I have been on both sides of the fence, and that is one of the reasons I haven't stayed in one company.
EDIT:
Privacy policy improved.

@g7w Even McAfee and

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:12 pm

@g7w
Even McAfee and Symantec have affiliate programs, and use Commission Junction.
So a site that sells their products can't be trusted?

Sometime one just needs more cash flow to get a project to become more self-sustainable.

@ giedrus

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:33 pm

Just a question
in your 2-viruses.com/remove-security-tool you provide informations on how to remove "security tool", right.
You suggest to download and install PC Tools Spyware Doctor.
As far as I know PC Tools Spyware doctor free has been discontinued while PC Tools Spyware Doctor 2011 http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

removes adware and spyware only once you have paid it.

Where am I wrong?

Thank you in advance for your reply

[edit] sorry, I didn't notice you stated it clearly

[cite]Note: Spyware doctor trial provides detection of parasite like Security Tool detection and limited protection for free. You can remove detected files, processes and registry entries yourself or purchase a full version [/cite]

Note: Spyware doctor trial

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:00 pm

Note: Spyware doctor trial provides detection of parasite like Security Tool detection and limited protection for free. [green]You can remove detected files, processes and registry entries yourself [/green]or purchase a full version

and that statement alone deserves a green on trustworthy in my opinion.

Warning! if I don't see that site at least turn Yellow by the end of the day, I am going to make your all lives miserable. . . Oh wait, I already do that, well I'll make you like me then! ~smiles~

Lets just give it a fair shake, ok. Opinion respected.

This Site

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Does not deserve a Red Rating.The owner is trying hard to be compliant with raters at WOT.

Keavs

Echo

Post by Keavs » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:06 pm

I hadn't read this post when I went to the site, and yes although he offers Spyware Dr. You can access all the manual info for free.
I certainly don't think he's trying to scam anyone.

Everyone deserves the right to make a buck, for work performed. He did work on that site to give free advice. If he can sell something occasionally. good for him.

Green and Commented