Reddit and Wikipedia's child safety ratings

ekolis

Reddit and Wikipedia's child safety ratings

Post by ekolis » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:05 pm

Everyone seems to be giving these sites green ratings, but I'm rather shocked at that - don't they know you can find nudity, firearms, and all sorts of inappropriate content on those sites? (Well, maybe not nudity on Wikipedia anymore; I haven't checked - but I'm sure there's still lots of information about sex, including diagrams!) And reddit additionally has a lot of "poopy" (not the term used but swearing isn't allowed on this forum) subreddits (communities) which are parodies of other subreddits and often offer horrible, dangerous advice and information as satire!

Are the child-friendly ratings given because people don't know that such content is available, or because it's not that easy to find unless you're specifically looking for it?

Site-rater

RE: Reddit and Wikipedia's child safety ratings

Post by Site-rater » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:32 pm

Wikipedia is not the same as reddit; information on Wikipedia is supposed to be presented in an educational and reference context.
Ratings for reddit may be trolls inflating the ratings.

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:36 pm

How would you rate a school which does sexual education? It's the same, as mentioned by site-rater, as wikipedia. I know that in some societies everything is bad that comes close to nudity. But wikipedia is an international thing, so no need to run agendas. And why should a picture of fireamrs hurt children??

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:55 am

@ekolis

RE Wikipedia: Do you expect an all-inclusive online encyclopedia to leave gaping holes for subjects of which you disapprove? Have you found evidence that Wikipedia has advocated unethical use of firearms? Did you successfully place an order with Wikipedia to have a firearm shipped directly to your home?

RE Reddit: A lot of people love giant cities like NYC and LA. Those people probably do not saunter into the ghettos for leisure.

ekolis

Post by ekolis » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:10 pm

I'm not saying that encyclopedias should censor themselves at all. I'm saying that certain NSFW content does exist there, and therefore users should be warned about it.

As for firearms, it's not so much the pictures as the information about them; couldn't a child learn where to acquire one, or how to operate it, or what it can be used for?

Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:16 pm

<quote user="ekolis">
As for firearms, it's not so much the pictures as the information about them; couldn't a child learn where to acquire one, or how to operate it, or what it can be used for?
[/quote]

Reminds me of the discussion pro/ contra sexual education. Sex edu does not make kids have sex earlier. It does prevent them from getting pregnant earlier though. But some are extremly afraidf of this.

Site-rater

Post by Site-rater » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:11 am

<quote user="kraftwerk">
Reminds me of the discussion pro/ contra sexual education. Sex edu does not make kids have sex earlier. It does prevent them from getting pregnant earlier though. But some are extremly afraidf of this.
[/quote]

I do not believe Wikipedia tells kids where to buy firearms, and in the USA you have to be at least 18 to buy a long arm or 21+ for a handgun, and pass a background check, from a store.
Reddit on the other hand, ...

Wikipedia is a reference site; it is designed to be like a crowdsourced encyclopedia. Any controversial content is supposed to be portrayed only in an educational/reference context. There are many rules regarding the presentation of the content on Wikipedia, and vandalized articles are sometimes locked down to mitigate abuse

Reddit on the other hand, is pretty much a free-for-all where just about anyone can post just about anything, and is meant more for entertainment purposes.

Myxt

Post by Myxt » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:05 am

<quote user="ekolis">
I'm not saying that encyclopedias should censor themselves at all. I'm saying that certain NSFW content does exist there, and therefore users should be warned about it.

[/quote]

By all means warn them, if you have evidence of something that requires it. Wikipedia is not a link farm / clearinghouse of firearms sources. If you discover such a page, notify Wikipedia. Your child is more likely to learn where to acquire a firearm from someone at the school where you send him.

At the barest minimum, everyone should learn how to engage a safety switch, eject a magazine, dump a cylinder, and eject a cartridge from a chamber.

So, no TV, movies, or Walmart toy aisles for your kids? Protecting them is honorable, but smothering them can have even worse consequences. It's a delicate balance; eyes open, you'll get there.

williKi

Post by williKi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:35 pm

<quote user="ekolis">

[/quote]
Totally agree with Myxt here, I taught my kids how to handle firearms at an early age, now they own their own. As for the rest, Reddit and Wikipedia would be some of the last information sources that I would worry about children viewing.

leo3487

Post by leo3487 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:19 am

I have other point
Child Safety category has high impact at the WOT color

Nobody want see a safe page with a yellow or red WOT indicator