Rumour, Gossip and Fake News Sites

A440

RE: Rumour, Gossip and Fake News Sites

Post by A440 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:08 am

I would also like to recommend a good site for news and legislation regarding American energy and environmental policy and issues:
eenews.net

Issues covered include:

Federal legislation & policymakers
U.S. regulation & federal agencies
Legal cases & judicial decisions
International & U.S. climate policy
Energy resources & markets
State legislation & controversies
Oil, natural gas, coal & nuclear
Fracking & unconventional energy development
Electric utilities
Alternative energy
Air & water pollution
Public lands & mining
Endangered species
Technology & science

Subscribers include:

Government: EPA, DOE, White House, DOD, DOI, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell’s Office, Democratic Whip Richard Durbin’s Office, House Energy and Commerce Committee, Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee
Energy companies: ExxonMobil, Xcel Energy, Southern Company, Shell, Duke Energy, Black and Veatch
Corporations: General Motors, Honda, Caterpillar, Boeing, Apple, Google, General Electric
Environmental groups: Sierra Club, The Conservation Fund, EDF, Environmental Law Institute, NRDC
Universities: Harvard, MIT, Stanford, University of Michigan, Yale
Law firms: Latham and Watkins, Vinson & Elkins, Akin Gump, Sidley Austin, Baker Botts
Think tanks: Brookings, Heritage, CSIS, CEI, RFF, Council on Foreign Relations

This site is mysteriously rated too low considering its quality and veracity of news offered.
Last edited by A440 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:31 am

<quote user="a440">
[red]undergroundnewsreport.com[/red]
[/quote]
Within the past few hours, Underground News Report has admitted to spreading "fake news".
[cite]BREAKING: Satire Makes Fools of Gullible Trump Supporters ”[/cite]
( http://undergroundnewsreport.com/the-truth/breaking-satire-makes-fools-gullible-trump-supporters/ )
Underground News Report is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within Undergroundnewsreport.com are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental, except for all references to politicians and/or celebrities, in which case they are based on real people, but still based almost entirely in fiction. Undergroundnewsreport.com is not meant for individuals under the age of 18.
I wouldn't think the mockery that prankish site has been doing is exactly satire. I have to wonder if a substantial number of people who propagated that site's fake news were willfully gullible.

<quote user="a440">[red] breitbart.com [/red][/quote]

I no longer feel comfortable discussing that site in the WOT forums. Whilst I believe the one-sentence comment "Are you influenced by breitbart.com?" would ordinarily be reasonable, fair and helpful, (and sometimes obvious) you won't see me posting it on WOT anytime soon.
&nbsp;

A440

Post by A440 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:43 am

<quote user="notbuyingit">
Within the past few hours, Underground News Report has admitted to spreading "fake news".
[cite]BREAKING: Satire Makes Fools of Gullible Trump Supporters ”[/cite]
( http://undergroundnewsreport.com/the-truth/breaking-satire-makes-fools-gullible-trump-supporters/ )
I wouldn't think the mockery that prankish site has been doing is exactly satire. I have to wonder if a substantial number of people who propagated that site's fake news were willfully gullible. [/quote]This site is not clearly labeled as being "satire", rather they have right on the masthead "Real News that You Won't Get from the Mainstream Media".
This site is very much dishonest in its intentions and is a source of gossip, rumour, etc.

Regarding your second comment, that site has demonstrated a deliberately biased attempt at interpreting reality and fact to suit their political bias. As such, they are not a credible or reliable source of information other than a demonstration of how low some people will go to gain power and money.

A440

Post by A440 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Another major site of rumour, misinformation, innuendo and gossip is infowars.com

Here is just one example of why I consider them an unreliable source of news:

#Soros funded groups have reportedly staged another chemical weapon attack on civilians in Syria -
hxxps ://t.co/VNfJyQAyBe #tcot #tlot

— infowars (@infowars) April 5, 2017This is not to mention the many episodes of libel against Soros simply because certain state actors seem to consider his funding of pro-democracy and educational NGOs as a threat to their ability to collect and project power:

www. snopes.com/tag/george-soros/

I strongly urge reviews to rate infowars.com appropriately at this link.
Last edited by A440 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

A440

Post by A440 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:10 pm

Another rumour and gossip site that is likely guilty of libel: independentstream.com

Not only did this site propagate the rumour that George Soros finances snopes.com but the promote what I would describe as click-bait (mind control through computer monitors)

Please review and rate this site accordingly.
Last edited by A440 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotBuyingIt

Post by NotBuyingIt » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:33 pm

It’s too easy for misinformation to spread on the web #HappyBirthdayWWW
Sir Tim Berners-Lee, World Wide Web Foundation, March 12, 2017
Today, most people find news and information on the web through just a handful of social media sites and search engines. These sites make more money when we click on the links they show us. And, they choose what to show us based on algorithms which learn from our personal data that they are constantly harvesting. The net result is that these sites show us content they think we’ll click on – meaning that misinformation, or ‘fake news’, which is surprising, shocking, or designed to appeal to our biases can spread like wildfire.[²]  And through the use of data science and armies of bots, those with bad intentions can game the system to spread misinformation for financial or political gain.

[²] https://www,nytimes.com/2016/11/20/business/media/how-fake-news-spreads.html

(Source: http://webfoundation.org/2017/03/web-turns-28-letter/ )

Last edited by NotBuyingIt on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

A440

Post by A440 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Another site that promotes misinformation and opinion as being news:
[red]theduran.com[/red]
Here is an example of the biased misinformation put out by this site:

[red]theduran.com/south-koreans-protest-movement-of-us-thadd-missile-system/[/red]
The site claims that "Initial reports state that 200 people blocked the entrance to the site where THAAD will be set-up and over 8,000 locals came out to protest."
The reality?:
Some 8,000 police were dispatched to the scene. They stood guard as the military trucks rolled in. Troops blocked roads to let the military vehicles pass and pushed back the residents and out-of-town protesters.
[green]koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3032721&cloc=joongangdaily|home|top[/green]

You get the idea.Here in South Korea, we get professional protesters that get paid to protest anything. Where the money comes from is the real news, which is not openly reported.

Please rate this site accordingly here.

A440

Post by A440 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Another site that has been linked to disinformation, slander:
[red]therebel.media[/red]

Jack Posobiec, a writer for this site, has attempted to influence the 2017 elections in France by spreading disinformation:
[green]reuters.com/article/us-france-election-cyber-idUSKBN1820QO[/green]
The founder of this disinformation site (Ezra Levent) has been repeatedly sued for libel and the cases demonstrate the conspiracy gossip and garbage that comes out of this site:
[green]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezra_Levant#Libel_cases[/green]

Please rate this trash heap of a site accordingly.

A440

Post by A440 » Fri May 12, 2017 6:20 am

As an addendum to my submission of [red]therebel.media[/red] for review, there is also this:
A U.S. far-right online activist credited with initially sharing on Twitter hacked emails from the French presidential campaign of centrist Emmanuel Macron is the latest conservative media figure to receive White House access from the Trump administration.

Jack Posobiec, a Washington-based writer at the [red]Rebel Media[/red], a Canadian online political and social news commentary platform, attended the daily press briefing on Tuesday and later broadcast video from the White House grounds with positive commentary on President Donald Trump's abrupt firing of FBI Director James Comey.
reuters.com/article/us-usa-france-cyber-activist-idUSKBN187008

I also note that this site's rating has increased from 69 to 73 since listing this site as a source of misinformation and falsified reports. I note the same jump with [red]eurasiareview.com[/red] since listing the site as a source of misinformation.

A440

RE: dailycaller.com

Post by A440 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:35 pm

Here is another reason the Dailycaller.com Should be down graded in their rating; they are avoiding taxes under the guise of being a non-profit organization:
washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/06/02/charity-doubles-as-a-profit-stream-at-the-daily-caller-news-foundation/?utm_term=.aee579b21a0c
Last edited by A440 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.