stay away from maps4fun.org

Bonsai Rosebushes

stay away from maps4fun.org

Post by Bonsai Rosebushes » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:32 pm

Visiting this site closes down web browser and asks to install either "antivirus 2009" or "antivirus 360", both of which are well known malwares. This site is clearly malicious and deserves a really, really bad reputation. Start rating it down, people!

phantazm

Could you elaborate..?

Post by phantazm » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:44 pm

If this site really is really bad, then perhaps it should only be visited in a sandbox (which I don't have). Or would NoScript (which I do have) be enough..?

Anyway, I tried to take a look, indirectly:

XPLs LinkScanner couldn't detect anything: http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/checksite.aspx?NS=ChkOnly&SRC=apps.explabs.com&CS=http://maps4fun.org

Siteadvisor hasn't rated this site yet, but Norton SafeWeb can't find anything: https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=maps4fun.org

Bonsai Rosebushes

elaboration

Post by Bonsai Rosebushes » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:14 pm

erm, how to elaborate...

step 1: visit website
step 2: firefox closes to a minimised window. Meanwhile, a little pop up asks you to install "antivirus 2009" or "antivirus 360", both of which are evil rogue softwares.
step 3: (hypothetical from now on). User installs product. Following which credit card details, etc. etc. are downloaded by a robot network in Siberia.
step 4: marital breakdown, suicide, etc. etc.

And now I notice wot is giving this site a stinky rating like it deserves.

Sandbox and noscript are good ideas. Non-windows system is even better. Norton safeweb, hah, "beta", (and all their "security" products) are a joke in my opinion. Didn't detect these bunch of scoundrels, did it?

phantazm

I meant NoScript...

Post by phantazm » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:30 pm

I was wondering if this site was nasty enough to overcome NoScript..?
Cause if that's the case, I don't feel like visiting = I only have one pc,
and I reeeally don't feel like reformatting everything.

PS: Yes, Norton SafeWeb is still beta.
But aren't most of googles many products still beta..?

Bonsai Rosebushes

I hate google too, actually.

Post by Bonsai Rosebushes » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:44 pm

I hate google too, actually. In fact, I hate most of the internet. I haven't checked out how the attack might work so I can't tell you if you're okay with noscript. If you have HIPS type antivirus you might get away with trying it, but to be honest, I'd stay away if you're not a security analyst or confident you can withstand their attempts to put garbage on your comp. Antivirus 2009/360 are quite nasty products to get rid of.

Edit-noscript blocks it.

petersohn

No-script, sandbox, virtual machines

Post by petersohn » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:37 pm

I don't know much about no-script, but it's name suggests that if you use it, then anything a website can do is to display plain HTML. Which won't hurt you, unless you download something nasty. If you don't trust it, disable JavaScript temporarily in Firefox if you visit suspicious sites.

If in doubt, use a sandbox like Sandboxie, or a virtual machine like Virtual Box or VMWare.

re maps4fun

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:11 pm

I see you have allready rated maps4fun as a red site bonsai rosebushes.I have looked and it has 4 red wot circles.So there should be no need for flaming it as I believe wot will leave it red until someone proves otherwise.I do not think people need to take risks if there is no need by visiting it.

phantazm

Script blocker

Post by phantazm » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:21 am

Yes, NoScript is blocking all kinds of scripts, and a bit more. But not ideal for total newbies, as you're asked again and again if you'll allow this or that...

YoKenny

Avira AntiVir rates it BAD

Post by YoKenny » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:22 pm

Avira AntiVir rates it BAD and prevents access.

Athlonite

maps4you

Post by Athlonite » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:14 am

OK, I have visited this site in Sanboxie. I got one hell of a scare. Immediately upon arrival , it minimizes your browser and if you try to hit the
Cancel button (which I did) on the pop-up , then a new window ( not a Tab ) opens up "UN-Sandboxed" . I think (not sure) it senses the sanbox. The only safe way would be to use a Complete Virtual Machine.

I also have Avira installed and since I did not download (closed all windows via Task Manager) any programs it did not warn against possible malware. BUT, I did get quite a scare when it minimized Sandboxie and opened another window in normal mode.

Athlonite.

Your help is always needed.